Where to get DVI to VGA cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

josho

Nov 27, 2004
Jln Teck Whye
pboong.com
I'm using mac and wanted to connect to my LCD TV. Ok, I got the wrong cable which is mini DVI to DVI when I found out my LCD TV input is VGA. As I opened the package before (just the top cover but a bit crumple), the incharge said that I cannot change it. (After making some noise, the in charge said that he is willing to see the packaging first)

So, I am looking for DVI to VGA cable which the shop ppl told me there's such of it. I went to south asia to look for it and yes, there's one. But on Mac, the DVI female had less 4 pin hole, the cable I saw had 4 more male pins which is cannot be fit in.

I dunno how many pins are there, just that the "-" part, the top and bottom should not have any male pins (2 on top and bottom).

Where to find DVI to VGA cable tho?
Can DVI to HDMI works from Mac to LCD TV?

which mac are you using, there are at least 2 different kind of DVI connectors on the mac
i just might have convertor

DVI to VGA

ortega - Macbook lor. fit in nicely. But wanted to get it hook up on my LCD TV tho.

Have you tried Deal Extreme www.dealextreme.com? Prices are very reasonable and free shipping.

Thanks Tony. I found what I want on site. Hoping that I can get it at SLS tmr.

Does anyone know DVI to HDMI works from Mac to TV? I was told that it dun. Need some clarification tho.

Last edited:
I'm using mac and wanted to connect to my LCD TV. Ok, I got the wrong cable which is mini DVI to DVI when I found out my LCD TV input is VGA. As I opened the package before (just the top cover but a bit crumple), the incharge said that I cannot change it. (After making some noise, the in charge said that he is willing to see the packaging first)

So, I am looking for DVI to VGA cable which the shop ppl told me there's such of it. I went to south asia to look for it and yes, there's one. But on Mac, the DVI female had less 4 pin hole, the cable I saw had 4 more male pins which is cannot be fit in.

I dunno how many pins are there, just that the "-" part, the top and bottom should not have any male pins (2 on top and bottom).

Where to find DVI to VGA cable tho?
Can DVI to HDMI works from Mac to LCD TV?

DVI-I can support VGA and DVI

while yours doesn't have that extra 4 pins are only in digital

Thanks Tony. I found what I want on site. Hoping that I can get it at SLS tmr.

Does anyone know DVI to HDMI works from Mac to TV? I was told that it dun. Need some clarification tho.

Basically, DVI and HDMI are the same BUT for one thing. DVI is purely video signal where as the other also carries the digital audio signals as well.

So if you intend to use the DVI onto your HDMI socket. You will need to get separate audio cables to get the sound to play from your TV's speaker. But if it is from the player's RCA line out..then you are not playing back digital signal of the audio.

Last edited:
thanks guys. hope i can find the cable in SLS tmr... :) much appreciated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

DVI-I - The Best of Both Worlds
DVI-I cables are integrated cables which are capable of transmitting either a digital-to-digital signal or an analog-to-analog signal. This makes it a more versatile cable, being usable in either digital or analog situations.

Like any other format, DVI digital and analog formats are non-interchangeable. This means that a DVI-D cable will not work on an analog system, nor a DVI-A on a digital system. To connect an analog source to a digital display, you'll need a VGA to DVI-D electronic convertor; to connect a digital output to an analog monitor, you'll need to use a DVI-D to VGA convertor.

i think mac have a diff version, with a cable, not a mac guy but my bro got a few of these which i saw...

for pc wise, i think there is a adaptor which is a piece of plastic which converts directly without the cable inbetween. i think should be able to work, and i think should cost lower than a mac version.

i think mac have a diff version, with a cable, not a mac guy but my bro got a few of these which i saw...

for pc wise, i think there is a adaptor which is a piece of plastic which converts directly without the cable inbetween. i think should be able to work, and i think should cost lower than a mac version.

For the PC....the VGA output to DVI...ya I know that one you talking about. It is a adapter-like module with one end with a VGA socket (female) and the other DVI out. Not sure how much it would cost of the Mac but the one I bought is $40! Managed to only track down one shop at SLS to get it. You should find it at a shop that sells all kinds of internal parts and cables for the typical computer self repair guy. I bought it so that I could use the new LCD display ( which has only DVI in) on my older PC at the office.

For the PC....the VGA output to DVI...ya I know that one you talking about. It is a adapter-like module with one end with a VGA socket (female) and the other DVI out. Not sure how much it would cost of the Mac but the one I bought is $40! Managed to only track down one shop at SLS to get it. You should find it at a shop that sells all kinds of internal parts and cables for the typical computer self repair guy. I bought it so that I could use the new LCD display ( which has only DVI in) on my older PC at the office.

dvi to vga lah... duh...

u 'upgrade'?

thought most mac book pro since long ago came with dvi already?

"But on Mac, the DVI female had less 4 pin hole, the cable I saw had 4 more male pins which is cannot be fit in. "

i suppose the TS output is only DVI-D (digital only). those missing 4 pins are C1 C2 C3 C4 for analog video

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/DVI_Connector_Types.svg

That was in the early days and with "earlier" hardware you are still using today. But to make it easier to fit all DVI in/output devices as far as I recall...all manufacturers makes all DVI female part to come with ALL the holes regardless of whether you use them or not...so that no accidental plugging will bend the male portions like those you mentioned. It is the wiring inside that matters. If it does not need those contacts it just don't solders the wirings to them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.