Where to get cheap, small beanbag for support?

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
Does anyone know where I can get a cheap, small, light beanbag that I can use as a camera support?
I don't want a big bulky heavy and expensive one like those "branded", specially for camera support bags like the Pod.
Just looking for a generic beanbag that is around a iPhone size.
To be used when travelling as I want to travel light.
Btw, has anyone tried to use beanbags as support for travelling?
I have tried Gorillapod SLR Zoom but that was too heavy and bulky.
I'm turning to a small simple cheap beanbag for support now.

you might want to try sports shops. some of them do sell the type used for pe

I made my own bean bags using silica beads instead of beans so the bags are dual purpose.

Silica beads bean bag is a wonderful idea....could be a best seller if commercially available.

Just a sock with 'green beans' will do.
Now, that's a real 'bean bag' :D

sand bags?

as in using those small sands..put in a bag etc?

just need a good stitch?

sand bags?

as in using those small sands..put in a bag etc?

just need a good stitch?

I recall in another thread that they don't use sand actually....they use small pebbles/stones/marbles...

Just look at small bean bag like "weights" formerly used in physical training in cash converter. but usually i just used the bag I'm carrying as support on my Tripod, saves me a lot from carrying more weight.

i DIY my own..with bean sprouts shells.

what about rice?

Can microwave the bag and used as hand warmer or heat treatment.. ;o)

Use an old pants that are either too big or small, tied up the legs, filled it with sand or beans or rice or marbles or whatever, then use a string, cable tie or whatever you can fine to tied up the last hole and vola! your bean/sand/rice/marbles/whatever bag.

Just bring a couple of ziploc bags... when you reach your destination, buy some uncooked cheap rice... put in ziploc bag... done... When trip over, throw it away. nice and easy, no need to carry onto plane.

I did that for my baby nephew some weeks ago...but not for camera use..

green bean, cannot wash lar.. if dirty

Last time we play 5 stones also never wash the green beans :D

I have a 4 x 3 inch cloth bag filled with silica gel. Need to dry often because camera bag not air tight. But I have seen small cloth bags filled with dry rice husks in Japanese stores - intended for resting your arms on. Could be suitable although appears a little roundish.

I've used to DIY mine with old socks that I can't wear anymore during Army days when I go for firing range and outfield.

For the case of overseas photography, just bring the socks along, go to a local mart to buy and fill it with sand/beans/rice/silica gel and then tie off the open end with a thumb-knot. When you are done, just spill the beans/sand/rice on the foreign soil or trash bin; keep the sillica gel in your bag and return with your trusty and compact socks!

We will be heading overseas for wildlife photography soon, will post a picture and show you my set-up with my sock-bag support!

Sincerely,
Ethan Lim of Life List Chase
Life List Chase | Live, Dream and Chase!
Life List Chase | Facebook
Life List Chase (@lifelistchase) on Twitter