Where to get CF PCMCIA or Cardbus Reader ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor1

Sep 29, 2003
Singapore
kr.sg
Hi, as above, and whats the pricing like? Any recomendations on brands? Just got a laptop (acer 5672) it has an internal muticard reader, but with out the ability to read cf card, and my usb 8in1 muticard reader is acting up, thus needing a new reader for my CF card.

I bought my PCMCIA CF card reader for $12 from Make Fine Computer (S) Pte. Ltd., #04-24, Funan The IT Mall.
The reader is permanently in my PCMCIA slot.

Ok, thanks for the info. will walk around there then.
Any others know where to get cardbus readers?

PCMCIA vs Cardbus CF Adapter is very very different thing. In term of speed and also price.

oeyvind said:
PCMCIA vs Cardbus CF Adapter is very very different thing. In term of speed and also price.
Yes, i am well aware of that. As i would be using 2GBs and 4GBs CF cards, i think i would need a faster card reader.

Thanks for your concern :)

I got my Lexar cardbus CF card reader from Alan Photo in Sim Lim for around $60-70 IIRC. Not sure if they still have stock though. It's really a lot faster than my usb2 card reader. =^/

Just called, they only have the SD version @ $70/= :(

The following shops all dont have.
- MS Color
- East Gear
- Alan Photo (SLS)
- Cathay Photo
- Storage Studio
Hmmz.. any where i could find them?

pardon me but what is the difference? i'm interested to know, because i do have a pcmcia cf card adaptor which well, doesn't work too fast on my powerbook. and i do want something fast and portable.

oeyvind said:

Its the same as a pcmcia card adapter, just faster. Think a normal kingston CF card compared with a Lexar 80x CF card. :)

vii_haven said:
pardon me but what is the difference? i'm interested to know, because i do have a pcmcia cf card adaptor which well, doesn't work too fast on my powerbook. and i do want something fast and portable.
From the hardware point of view:

PCMCIA : 16 bit interface
CardBus : 32 bit interface

Of course, you will get faster transfer rates with the Cardbus version. And off course, you pay more too. So far, I have heard of 2 brands, Buffalo and Lexar. Buffalo probably has to be imported, Storage Studio in SLS does not bring them in any more; Lexar - you might be able to get it at EastGear, AP or the more bigger stores. However, this does not comes cheap.

Appearance wise, all cardbus interface cards will have an additional copper grounding strip(?) near the interface connector. This strip has a row of protruding littl dots (nipples?).

Raptor1 said:
Can't seem to find any place in SG that sells the cardbus readers :(

Thinking of getting 1 from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00069P6BS/103-2630977-7535014?v=glance&n=172282

Anybody want to join in? Share the shipping cost.
I have a buffalo cardbus reader... much faster than the 16bit ones... I'll need another one for the other notebook though..

I'll join in to get one more...

Check pm. :)
Thanks for those that helped. I made my order already.

The OEM is ASKA... ^^ The rest are just relabeled ASKA OEMs... ^^

so where can we get this aska cardbus cf reader? and how much is it?

oeyvind said:
The OEM is ASKA... ^^ The rest are just relabeled ASKA OEMs... ^^

oops. didn't see that the picture was linked. =) Thanks!

you mean.. lexar cardbus reader is an aska oem? hmmz.. how much does this aska sells anyway.

+evenstar said:
i've one of these, but the IBM version...rather troublesome if u want to read CF cards cos u have to align it properly before u can slot it in

Since when IBM has a Cardbus version? I only know they have 8-bit adapter for their old microdrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.