Where to get a Cardbus CF card reader??

Status
Not open for further replies.

djork

Jul 14, 2002
Hong Kong, Pokfulam
Visit site
I've searched high and low in singapore but i just cannot find a shop selling Cardbus CF card readers.. all of them are selling the slower PCMCIA cousins. does anyone know where i can get them and at what price?

I saw a carbus CF reader in Funan last week. The shop is located right above the sport goods shop that has an escalator leading to it from outside street.

How to differential between slow PCMCIA CF reader to Cardbus CF card reader?

Wai said:
If I sell you my PCMCIA CF card reader to you at $200, Will you think it is super fast card reader? :nono:

Price is not the best way to determine the performance of an item. You got to know it to buy the right thing at right price.

poh6702 said:
If I sell you my PCMCIA CF card reader to you at $200, Will you think it is super fast card reader? :nono:

Price is not the best way to determine the performance of an item. You got to know it to buy the right thing at right price.

no thanks, i have two of them waiting to get rid of because i am using firewire reader now

sell u $100? ;p

poh6702 said:
How to differential between slow PCMCIA CF reader to Cardbus CF card reader?

All 32 bit PC card devices tend to have a golden 'edge' (don't know the tech term). It's some kind of internationally agreed spec standard.

DSCF0916_resize.JPG

FWIW, I got Storage Studio at SLS to bring this one in for me quite some time ago (they don't stock these). Can't remember the price (all I can remember was that it was good, but then I am a regular customer). I think these are now available locally in other shops. :D (Wasn't there some old thread on these things a long time ago)

[I had countless hilarious encounters with salesmen and saleswomen who argued with me that there's no such thing (SouthAsia at Funan), or they just don't know WTF the difference is between 16bit and 32bit PC card devices]

You can actually ask SS to bring stuff in from Akihabara that you might have seen online for a small extra. As long as they know you or if you leave a good deposit. You can't expect firm delivery dates though.

I might get them to bring this in for me: http://suntac.jp/product/aqa026/ (Mariah Carey should be good to crap to since she sings really shitty music, heh heh heh)

I saw the Sandisk Ultra PCIMCIA adapter (think it's Cardbus) at Funan South Asia for $19.90.

Thought you might want to check it out...

SNAG said:
I saw the Sandisk Ultra PCIMCIA adapter (think it's Cardbus) at Funan South Asia for $19.90.

Thought you might want to check it out...

if it is $19.90, it wont be 32bit cardbus reader

Cardbus = 32-bit
PCMCIA = 16-bit

Speed of Cardbus > Speed of PCMCIA

Cardbus != PCMCIA
PC Card = generic term for both Cardbus and PCMCIA

mutabor said:
I saw a carbus CF reader in Funan last week. The shop is located right above the sport goods shop that has an escalator leading to it from outside street.

checked that shop. it's all 16bit. no cardbus.

I've been hunting around Singapore too... desperately need 1... takes me too long to transfer my 4GB CF card via PCMCIA...

Who else is keen.. maybe we can do an MO..

Here's what I know of the currently available cardbus readers

Lexar - http://www.lexar.com/readers/cf32bit.html
Aska
Buffalo
Belkin

Called up all the stores in Singapore on Lexar's website, none of them have it..
Heard that a shop along Funan has it... Aska or Buffalo brand.. anybody nearby can check it out during lunch?

willyfoo said:
Here's what I know of the currently available cardbus readers

Lexar - http://www.lexar.com/readers/cf32bit.html
Aska
Buffalo
Belkin

Called up all the stores in Singapore on Lexar's website, none of them have it..
Heard that a shop along Funan has it... Aska or Buffalo brand.. anybody nearby can check it out during lunch?

it's actually Delkin. Belkin doesn't sell the cardbus CF card reader. you can try ordering online, but the shipping rate's ridiculous.

Unless you specify a shop name, it's hard for anyone to go roaming the whole funan like i did the other time. i had to describe to the shops why their card reader isn't cardbus so many times that it's kinda tiring.. i did a search previously, there was a MO some time back, offering the reader for 100+. kinda expensive. i regretted not buying it when i went to japan. hahaha. over there there's IO-data, buffalo and Aska

anyway, thanks for all your help. i got mine already. asked my friend to help me buy from japan, cost me less than $40 for this cardbus reader (2,700 yen). cheap cheap! can't imagine why those selling on US websites online goes for 39 to 49 USD without shipping...

Status
Not open for further replies.