Where to find value-for-money durians?

szeping

Jan 13, 2008
www.szeping.com
Just had durian lunch with fellow colleagues at Geylang few hours ago... We had no idea which stall is better, so just simply chose a roadside stall near Lor 13.

By then I only realised that those durians selling in package at NTUC is not that expensive. I thought the durians we can get from roadside stalls should be far cheaper than those nicely packed one.

Anyway, D24 was selling at $15/KG and Mao Shan Wang at $20/KG. Is it reasonable?

Oh, main question is... any good place to recommend if you want to makan durian ~? (not in Malaysia of course)

Just had durian lunch with fellow colleagues at Geylang few hours ago... We had no idea which stall is better, so just simply chose a roadside stall near Lor 13.

By then I only realised that those durians selling in package at NTUC is not that expensive. I thought the durians we can get from roadside stalls should be far cheaper than those nicely packed one.

Anyway, D24 was selling at $15/KG and Mao Shan Wang at $20/KG. Is it reasonable?

Oh, main question is... any good place to recommend if you want to makan durian ~? (not in Malaysia of course)

i dnuno leh. seems like a lot of ppl used to recommend geylang. but now also not durian season right?:think:

If you travel up North, excluding JB, Penang & KL, the D24 grade costs MYR 5 / kg only. That is if you don't mind travelling. :)

24HRS FRUIT SHOP beside MSC in Ang Mo Kio. Check out their great singapore sale durian offer. good quality. friendly sellers.

Expensive.

The best Mao Shan Wang that I've ever tasted costs $18/kg. It's from a shop in Upper Serangoon Rd. Can't remember the shop's name off-hand. They say that their stock comes from Pahang.

I've also gone to a plantation in Segamat and the Mao Shan Wang there is still not as good as the one from that shop.

IIRC the D24 goes for $12/kg from the same shop.

Toa Payoh Lor 8 market got a couple of stalls with quite good durain. But the best durian that I have tasted is from the Choa Chu Kang forest during NS days. Unforgettable.

Toa Payoh Lor 8 market got a couple of stalls with quite good durain. But the best durian that I have tasted is from the Choa Chu Kang forest during NS days. Unforgettable.

ah.. don't let the cat out of the bag, the forests are still littered with durians and yes, you are right, its hard to find better!

ah.. don't let the cat out of the bag, the forests are still littered with durians and yes, you are right, its hard to find better!

Don't worry. Not much people dare venture into the forest. It is supposed to be restricted area, and of course, there are the usual animals expected in the forest such as snakes, ants, tigers, crocodiles, etc :)

If I'm you, I won't go to Geylang and buy durians.
Had tons of bad experience buying durians there. :thumbsd:

I rather go Balestier (in front of the Tua Pek Kong temple) or Chinatown (near CK departmental store) to buy. :D

best local durians ever i had tasted at pulau tekong.... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

yupz simply un4gettable

Tiong Baru MRT hdb block ..... veri good..... just confirmed last week.... D24 super creamy and bitter type at $5 for a whole durian

Pay $5 or $6, take bum boat go pulau ubin..

eat as much as you want.. own time own target.. of coz you need to find it first lah..

go balestier. think the shop call air force durians. it's beside a temple along the main road