Where to find Teflon or silicone coating lubricant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Hello everyone,

May I know where can I find Teflon or silicone coating lubricant? I need it to apply it on my ball head. It is mentioned that NO oil or grease based lubricant products be used as it will attract dirt, which will clog the movements.

TIA for all the replies. :)

You can get them from hi-end bicycle shop. There are several brands that use Teflon.

The brand "Elmar" (yes, a popular glue brand in the US) makes Teflon powdered lubricant. Meaning, once it contacts with air, it turns into fine powder. Thus does not attract dirt and can be clean easily.

Scuba diving centers also carry silicone sprays which are used to protect dive equipment.

You can get them from hi-end bicycle shop. There are several brands that use Teflon.

The brand "Elmar" (yes, a popular glue brand in the US) makes Teflon powdered lubricant. Meaning, once it contacts with air, it turns into fine powder. Thus does not attract dirt and can be clean easily.

Thanks for the pointer photobum. By the way, I don't suppose that you know where I can find a hi-end bicycle shop in Tampines? ;)

UPDATE: Eventually bought this-

Dry4oz.jpg

Bought from Tay Cycle in Tampines. ($10) SCH nearby was selling it for $12.50.

Tried it on the ball head already. The lubricant dries up to form a layer. Ball head movement is OK.

UPDATE: Eventually bought this-

Dry4oz.jpg

Bought from Tay Cycle in Tampines. ($10) SCH nearby was sellinh it at $12.50.

Tried it on the ball head already. The lubricant dries up to form a layer. Ball head movement is OK.

I'm also looking for somethin like that... what block is Tay Cycle?

If you guys are looking for a very high specification dry lubrication, I recommend MOLY LUBE DRY FILM LUBRICANT by Birchwood Casey.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

It's actually designed for firearms and airguns where very high lubrication is needed. It comes in rapid drying cleaning/degreasing carrier and dries very rapidly to form a dry coating of Moly.

Err...not sure about the chemical properties, but i believe that Moly (Molybdenum Dislufide) is one of the slickest elements know to man. It it also commonly used in high performance racing, marine and industrial applications where other lubes fail. I believe it's much higher specified/more effective than teflon or silicon lubes.

You can get this from Chye Watt Seng which is a gun shop on the 2nd floor of Golden Mile Complex for about $12 - $15. Call first to check for availability and operation hours.

CHEERS!

If you guys are looking for a very high specification dry lubrication, I recommend MOLY LUBE DRY FILM LUBRICANT by Birchwood Casey.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

It's actually designed for firearms and airguns where very high lubrication is needed. It comes in rapid drying cleaning/degreasing carrier and dries very rapidly to form a dry coating of Moly.

Err...not sure about the chemical properties, but i believe that Moly (Molybdenum Dislufide) is one of the slickest elements know to man. It it also commonly used in high performance racing, marine and industrial applications where other lubes fail. I believe it's much higher specified/more effective than teflon or silicon lubes.

You can get this from Chye Watt Seng which is a gun shop on the 2nd floor of Golden Mile Complex for about $12 - $15. Call first to check for availability and operation hours.

CHEERS!

Thanks for the information, Feinwerkbau.

You can get silicone lubricants from Homefix. Comes in an aerosol can.

Thanks for the info, Macky.

But looks like I won't be looking for it now since I've got the Teflon Dry lube. But I Bro +evenstar might be interested.

so can apply on any ball head? how is the application like? just pour over? or have to remove the head, spray properly then let it dry and place back?

Hai Chew Hardware Store along Serangoon Ave 1 has all kinds of Teflon and Silicone-based lubricants.

just a thought.
would the lubricant be so effective till the clamp of the ballhead is unable to clamp the ball firmly?

so can apply on any ball head? how is the application like? just pour over? or have to remove the head, spray properly then let it dry and place back?
That bottle comes with a tip. Just drop 2 or 3 drops onto the ball itself and rotate. That was what I did. Anyway, did not know how to dismantle the ball from the tripod anyway...

That bottle comes with a tip. Just drop 2 or 3 drops onto the ball itself and rotate. That was what I did. Anyway, did not know how to dismantle the ball from the tripod anyway...

2-3 drops? hmm y not lend me a few drops too... :bsmilie: u can offer a dropping service already...

btw which part of tampines is that? maybe ask somebody buy 4 me

just a thought.
would the lubricant be so effective till the clamp of the ballhead is unable to clamp the ball firmly?
The lubricant dries itself upon contact with air. I have tried the tightness of the ball, seems OK. (but have not tried a load of more than 1 kg)

2-3 drops? hmm y not lend me a few drops too... :bsmilie: u can offer a dropping service already...

btw which part of tampines is that? maybe ask somebody buy 4 me

Can, you come to Tampines lo DCA. Since you have car ma. :bsmilie:
BTW, Tay Cycle is near SAFRA Tampines.

Here is a reply from Finish Line:

"Teflon Plus Dry Lube is a 100% Synthetic Oil lube. Synthetic oils are derived from petroleum stock oils that have been highly refined and purified. Teflon Plus Dry Lube is not a silicone based lube."

I was actually thinking of applying it onto my flash light threading. Guess that this product cannot be used where it will come in contact with rubber. Will need to look for a silicone-based lubricant again. Will try Homefix (as mentioned by Macky) and Hai Chew Hardware Store (as mentioned by photobum).

Status
Not open for further replies.