Where to find replacement for super ccd sr

Status
Not open for further replies.

detailgreedy

Aug 3, 2009
Hi everyone on this forum

Because I'm not ready to throw my Fujifilm Finepix S20 Pro out of the window due to this common ccd failure (the image is magenta, gray, green) I'm trying to find a way to get it fixed. So anyone who can give me some advise as where to find a replacement ccd or knows any other way how to fix this problem will be more than welcome.

Thnx in advance

Bring it to Fuji for service. What else can you do? It's not like you can just walk around Sim Lim and pick up CCD sensors for your point and shoot camera.

Hello...welcome.

Yes, I agree with Rashkae. Bringing it back to Fuji seems to be your only solution.

Hi Galdor & Rashkae,
Thnx for the replie and the welcome. The idea of taking the camera to Fuji makes sence, as I myself thought a few weeks ago. But.....Fuji is not willing to repair it. They offered me to turn it in and get a reduction if I buy a new camera. This is not a solution to my satisfaction. I'm trying to get the S20Pro fixed !!!! Isn't there a trade in ccd's ? If not, why not ???? Guess there are more customers out there with their ccd's not working properly.

The likely reason why fuji refused repair is probably because the S20 is a really old model, discontinued and no longer in production, and they may not have anymore spareparts left.

your best bet is to find another spoiled camera of the same model with a working CCD (something else spoilt), buy it and ask one of the camera repair shops (TCW for e.g.) or some of the CSers who does repairs to try and salvage the camera for you.

Too much hassle i would say...maybe better off for you to buy a new camera with the reduction offered by fuji?

Ricleo,

Thnx for your reply. Still wondering why there isn't a company selling ccd's. Guess I'm too much a analog camera man from the stoneage, and used to getting a sparepart on demand. Can't stand throwing away a very well conditioned camera, apart from the ccd that is. Call me oldfashion. Maybe you are right and I should get familiar with the idea accepting Fuji's offer. Until I do I'd be glad to hear other solutions.

Cheers, Detailgreedy

Such CCDs might be a part that is specially produced for Fuji (by OEM manufactuer?) and this camera type. Usually then nobody else will get the same model or any spare parts because Fuji wants to protect the cam and the sales. Another point could be: the CCD simply cannot be serviced. If all parts are soldered directly to the PCB then the whole mainboard needs to be changed - which requires original spare parts from Fuji.
But sometimes some guys around the world find out what OEM parts are actually used and where the same parts are used for other cameras. Try an extensive search with google for part numbers and such details.

Ricleo,

Thnx for your reply. Still wondering why there isn't a company selling ccd's. Guess I'm too much a analog camera man from the stoneage, and used to getting a sparepart on demand. Can't stand throwing away a very well conditioned camera, apart from the ccd that is. Call me oldfashion. Maybe you are right and I should get familiar with the idea accepting Fuji's offer. Until I do I'd be glad to hear other solutions.

Cheers, Detailgreedy

There are maybe 4 or 5 CCD manufacturing companies in he world. Each produced CCDs with a VERY specific circuit layout. Then the circuitboard the CCD is mounted on is specifically made for that CCD, and the BIOS/firmware of the camera is designed for the CCD.

Fuji makes it's own sensors. They don't produce extra sensors that they then just sell on the open market. CCD's are not drop-in parts like film. Your CCD was specifically made for that camera, and vice versa.

Your only hope would be to find the SAME camera model and then see if anyone has the technical skill to disassemble the sealed CCD unit, then unsolder the CCD.

Absolutely not worth it.

a decent point and shoot camera can cost as little as $100+
or a conservative estimate would be about $250-$300.

Do you honestly think it will cost less to purchase another camera, then get someone skilled to disassemble the CCD and mount it onto your camera? What if it's ultimately unsuccessful?

It's probably easier to find a used Fujifilm Finepix S20 Pro that's working, and then keep your current one for spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.