Where to find reasonably good mountain bike? Help needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonray

Mar 25, 2005
Hey guys,
need to help my bro find a decent mountain bike so that he can ride it to work daily. (15-20min cycle on pavement)

He told me he's looking for a 2nd hand GT bike which costs around $300. I am just wondering which brand and model of bikes are good for this purpose? And what should i look out for when buying a bike like this?

Is there a forum in Sg that is like our BnS forum just that it is for 2nd hand Mountain bikes?
If so, can kindly provide a link?

TIA;)

how about cash converters

btw why does he "need" a mountain bike to ride on the pavement for 15-20 mins?

I think a normal $100 bicycle would do, since it is only for a short journey. :)

Hey guys,
need to help my bro find a decent mountain bike so that he can ride it to work daily. (15-20min cycle on pavement)

He told me he's looking for a 2nd hand GT bike which costs around $300. I am just wondering which brand and model of bikes are good for this purpose? And what should i look out for when buying a bike like this?

Is there a forum in Sg that is like our BnS forum just that it is for 2nd hand Mountain bikes?

TIA;)

Your budget I think can get first hand Giant mountain bike but entry level one. Consider other brands like Aleoca from Carrefour. Not too shabby.

for going to work everyday?

i recommend a good steel bike from any HDB shop, don't bother with alloy frames too risky being stolen!

get shimano dérailleurs and some good brakes. that should be sufficient! most impt buy some good locks and learn how to lock a bike, i have seen the way some people lock bikes, might as well don't lock! :dunno: ;p :)

for going to work everyday?

i recommend a good steel bike from any HDB shop, don't bother with alloy frames too risky being stolen!

get shimano dérailleurs and some good brakes. that should be sufficient! most impt buy some good locks and learn how to lock a bike, i have seen the way some people lock bikes, might as well don't lock! :dunno: ;p :)
yea dun just lock the front wheel...

I got one at home, seldom use it.. :sweat:

thanks for all the replies bros... I'll def look into that forum and also Bikes such as Giant.

Erm, he's cycling coz it's the fastest way of getting to work from my place. And locking it isn't a problem as he can lock it within his workplace (It's a private compound, so stealing is not such a big problem.)

As for why he needs such a "nice" bike to go to work with, that i really can't answer... I myself think that a normal $150 mountain bike is fine... but his 21st Bdae is coming soon and I am planning to get him a nice pressie, so might as well be this bike...

thanks once again for all the response... do PM me if you think that you have a suitable bike for sale... cheers...

Your budget I think can get first hand Giant mountain bike but entry level one. Consider other brands like Aleoca from Carrefour. Not too shabby.

Stay away from Aleoca if you haven't gotten an idea what it's like.

I used to ride to work each morning on either my roadie or my mountain bike, for about 15 minutes each morning - and that's 4km in the morning, which gave me a decent workout anaerobically.

Hey guys,

TIA;)

Hi

If you can i suggest a new bike instead of a used bike, because maintence is very important you never know what had happened...

Try Hup Leong at Chin Swee Rd(new OG chinatown)

1 more thing..... Try to keep off the pavement, I cycle too but i walk more, whenever a cyclists ask me to make way for him or her at the pavement i feel like it's my rights to walk the pavement and your rights to use the roads you big bikes user(No Offenses to all cyclists).

Regards

Hi

If you can i suggest a new bike instead of a used bike, because maintence is very important you never know what had happened...

Try Hup Leong at Chin Swee Rd(new OG chinatown)

1 more thing..... Try to keep off the pavement, I cycle too but i walk more, whenever a cyclists ask me to make way for him or her at the pavement i feel like it's my rights to walk the pavement and your rights to use the roads you big bikes user(No Offenses to all cyclists).

Regards

Thanks Sehsuan and biglizard... i'll definitely look into more bikes... as for maintainence, so long i dun buy a really lousy looking bike (ie well maintained) shd be ok yah?

thanks for all the replies bros... I'll def look into that forum and also Bikes such as Giant.

Erm, he's cycling coz it's the fastest way of getting to work from my place. And locking it isn't a problem as he can lock it within his workplace (It's a private compound, so stealing is not such a big problem.)

As for why he needs such a "nice" bike to go to work with, that i really can't answer... I myself think that a normal $150 mountain bike is fine... but his 21st Bdae is coming soon and I am planning to get him a nice pressie, so might as well be this bike...

thanks once again for all the response... do PM me if you think that you have a suitable bike for sale... cheers...

wah!

so good brother!

:thumbsup:

I'm approaching 40s sooner or later...... can i ask for a digital back from you ?
:bsmilie:

kidding :p

pavements are not meant to be cycled on.. im always tempted to kick cyclists off the payment when i have to squeeze to the side as they cycle past when im running.

pavements are not meant to be cycled on.. im always tempted to kick cyclists off the payment when i have to squeeze to the side as they cycle past when im running.
Mentality:
cycle on road, dangerous cause cars might knock me.
Ride on pavement, dangerous to others cos I might knock others...

:think: rather others injured than I injured..
Ride on pavement... :thumbsup:

Mentality:

That's irresponsible mentality which many of us have. :embrass: Anyway, I chanced upon a bicycle shop near Bugis Village (near to the This Fashion shop opposite Bigis Junction) and I'm quite impress with the service and variety there although I didn't buy any bikes from there.

Mentality:

I don't think cars are a problem.. I think it's those big arse high headed lorries. They can't see you when you are riding beside them!

Status
Not open for further replies.