Where to find cheap and good Tim Sum in Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

photobum

Deregistered
Apr 17, 2005
To all,

Tim Sum is not something that I eat frequently. Even if I do, I will just follow whoever is going and let him or her decides.

Now, I have a problem. I am told to bring a visitor from India to savoury this delicacy. Since I don't often go "yum char", I don't know where to find cheap and good tim sum.

When I say cheap, I don't mean coffeeshop price. At least some place decent. Budget around $30-$50 for 4 person.

Any suggestions?

photobum said:
To all,

Tim Sum is not something that I eat frequently. Even if I do, I will just follow whoever is going and let him or her decides.

Now, I have a problem. I am told to bring a visitor from India to savoury this delicacy. Since I don't often go "yum char", I don't know where to find cheap and good tim sum.

When I say cheap, I don't mean coffeeshop price. At least some place decent. Budget around $30-$50 for 4 person.

Any suggestions?

a bit low for 4 persons....

Nisa said:
a bit low for 4 persons....

ya lorz..budget too low..becos when u eat good dim sum u will forget abt price..u will keep ordering and ordering..

my recommendation: Hong Sing (red star) Chin Swee Road.
ambience: 2/5
price: 4/5
food: 4/5

photobum said:
To all,

Any suggestions?
http://eatlu.blogspot.com/2006/09/dim-sum-in-singapore.html

blazer_workz said:
ya lorz..budget too low..becos when u eat good dim sum u will forget abt price..u will keep ordering and ordering..

my recommendation: Hong Sing (red star) Chin Swee Road.
ambience: 2/5
price: 4/5
food: 4/5

Hong Sing?!?!?!

ambience 5/5 (if u are looking for hong kong choas type)
price 1/5 (not worth it at all)
food 1/5 (too oily)

Nisa said:
Hong Sing?!?!?!

food 1/5 (too oily)

haha u voted the opposite...

ambience: its more or less more organize nowadays..i remember last time u have to look for seats urself..some times will get into a fight..
price: consider resonably priced, cannot find any cheaper..if got, recommend lehz..*drooling oledi*..long time never take dim sum le..
food: its not chinese cusine if its not oily..:D

there is one in the PSA building, it is called Harbour city restaurant, i think. their dim sum is not bad, and lots of business ppl go there to entertain their customers for lunch.

you can try 88 resturant at the Harbourfront.
I think it's a buffet, but then u need to increase ur budget abit.

I had never like hong seng.
There is only 3 resturants i would go for dim sumon top of my head;

1) Imperial Treasure (Takashimaya)
2) Yan Palace (Chinatown)
3) East Ocean (Shaw Centre)

Nisa said:
Hong Sing?!?!?!

food 1/5 (too oily)
its 1 of the rare places where you still can get the traditional yum char feeling. Being a cantonese myself, I love to go there.

Price - very reasonable, for the variaties and taste, value for $$
Food - Quite gd and definitely a place where you can find dishes you cannot find else where

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had been to Red Star a few times when I was a kid (30 odd years ago). These days, I find their prices a bit high, and drop in food quality. Their old master chef passed away more than 10 years ago.

A colleague of mine suggests Victor's Kitchen at Sunshine Plaza. Have anyone tried their tim sum?

photobum said:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I had been to Red Star a few times when I was a kid (30 odd years ago). These days, I find their prices a bit high, and drop in food quality. Their old master chef passed away more than 10 years ago.

A colleague of mine suggests Victor's Kitchen at Sunshine Plaza. Have anyone tried their tim sum?

Makan for a quicky before.
Food's quite alrite but I doubt ya wanna bring foreign guest to makan and squeeze along the shoppin ctr corridors laid out wif tiny tables wif many students with Gundams.:sweatsm:
Tot ya dun wan kopitiam style or pricing.:dunno:
As a matter of fact, 30-50 is a kopitiam budget liao.

Personally I do enjoy Orchard or Shenton way Tong Lok dim sum, check it out as they always have promotions going on.

You might want to try Ah Yat restaurant at the old Turf Club. It's 50% off dim-sum Mon-Sat. Although it's 50% off, remember, they prob. jacked up the prices before they give the 50% off.

I just went there with my family last wkend and it was around $80 for 6 ppl. The food is good and not to mention, price too.

check out Tung Lok group .. they have a dim sum buffet ... on weekends...

Cityofangels:

so free to surf CS? :bsmilie: :devil: :p

dEthANGeL said:
check out Tung Lok group .. they have a dim sum buffet ... on weekends...

Cityofangels:

so free to surf CS? :bsmilie: :devil: :p

Tung Lok is exp, right? ;p

Yeah lor.. One of the very few websites that my company doesn't block. :embrass:

'hongkong street' @ boonlay shopping center :bsmilie: Kopitiam type la, but quite clean... price is mainly $2 per dish, 5 or 10 for a few other bigger dish...
not a lot of variety, probably 20-30+, but they do have other dishes which ain't consider as tim sum tho... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.