Where to change car alarm and key

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipper

May 27, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
I lost my car key+alarm remote today but luckily i had my spare... but now with the fear of the lost car key + alarm being found by somebody and can easily find my car using the alarm remote, i want to change both the car key+alarm system.

1. Must i go back to the car distributor or any other service workshop can do?
2. Any recommendation on the car alarm system, possible together with the key system.
3. How much will the costs be?
4. Any forums that i find more info?

thanks.

you gonna pay a big price for your mistake. Go to your car dealer for the best option as they are the ones who knows the car inside out.

Not sure what car you own or type of alarm you have or had installed seperately. If its it those remotes that has a button on the key and it has an immoilizer, such key would cost about $500 per replacement key and they give you the crab its imported... If you lost the all the keys, good luck to you as you probably need to pay another handsome fee to unimobolise the car and change the whole kit.

Cars like volvo, mb, bmw or even toyota can have immoboliser built onto key type of alarm. These keys can cost between $400 to $700, and the whole set plus the built in receiver easily $3k if you dont trust the previous car owner who might gain access using that spare remote.

If it is those that has a keychain alarm unit with a few buttons, you can probably change the alarm unit for about a hundred bugs. But for cheapie alarms, these are usually not of much protection as a crook can dub the signal (with a scanner) and open your car as you leave the carpark. I wont go into depth on brands and models as you probably can google for it.

Compro is right. Go back to agent to ask for a quote. If its too expensive to replace that special key (with computer chip), totally stop using that immobiliser key system and install an OEM brand alarm kit with auto locking feature. That could cost $100 for a budget system and up to $400 for something more reliable. The fanciful ones will have a two way paging system that alerts you when somone bump your car at the carpark.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

I lost my car key+alarm remote today but luckily i had my spare... but now with the fear of the lost car key + alarm being found by somebody and can easily find my car using the alarm remote, i want to change both the car key+alarm system.

1. Must i go back to the car distributor or any other service workshop can do?
2. Any recommendation on the car alarm system, possible together with the key system.
3. How much will the costs be?
4. Any forums that i find more info?

thanks.

depends on ur car make.

it's best to go back to the car distributor to change the lock and alarm. probably cost u from 400-800, depends on the car's requirements. u dun need to change ur car alarm.

a cheaper option is to head to malaysia, have heard of friends who do so. but be careful, make sure u stay the whole way while the mechanic does his job or find a trustworthyone.

i think there's a car kaki forum around. google it.

Thanks all for the reply.

Lucky me that i found the key+alarm remote today in the foodcourt i went to yesterday. The drink stall owner kept the key which was found by the cleaner. :sweat:

And i think since it is only one day, i don't think that anyone would duplicate the key. :).

By the way, i am driving a Honda Odyssey. Know nothing about the types of car alarm system available in the market. So.. paiseh.. not sure what do i have but it came with the car when i purchased it.. not very complicated one... so guess it's of the cheapo type..

was thinking to upgrade to a more reliable one.. but was reading somewhere that it's useless as no matter how good the alarm is, the "professional" one still able to "hack" it. :angry: ...

Do travel quite a bit to Malaysia... so kind of "takut'... think can only pray hard..

Status
Not open for further replies.