where to buy the cheapest canon bodies in Tokyo?

tester99

Dec 4, 2008
i'll be heading to tokyo in may - just wondering where would be the best place to get a canon 6d body. i have done quite a bit of research and the following site seems to be one of the best sites for japan's price comparison :

‰¿Ši.com - CANON EOS 6D ƒ{ƒfƒB ‰¿Ši”äŠr

however, the google translate is a mess : e.g. why is it heavily discounted (what's enrollment discount?) ? what are the T&Cs?

is the akihabara area still the place to look at for camera bodies?

the thing i'm afraid is the language barrier when i buy the body from them.. as i can only speak extremely basic jap (and don't understand what they say 99% of the time). an english-speaking shop would be gd!

all suggestions welcome :)

Last edited:
Most departmental stores should have English speaking staff...

Good luck to you !

The on-camera controls adjustments software is in Japanese Language only ..... cannot switch to English

hope you can read Japanese when you are using the camera

Good luck to you !

The on-camera controls adjustments software is in Japanese Language only ..... cannot switch to English

hope you can read Japanese when you are using the camera

serious?! can anyone confirm this? perhaps can flash the firmware to the SG version or something??

Most departmental stores should have English speaking staff...

i'm looking for the best prices - department stores usually sell at retail price right??

tester99 said:
i'm looking for the best prices - department stores usually sell at retail price right??

Even the Japanese retail price will beat the gray market here in Sg...

BIC, Yodobashi, Sakura etc gives compatible prices. Usually the price stated is the selling price then they give you points rebate if you are a member. The points can be use for next purchase. So buy one item at a time and use the points for the next purchased item and gain more points for next purchase. Example buy body then use the points and cash for batteries or the grips. Hopefully after the 2nd purchase you will have enough points left for a free screen protector. You don't have to re queue, just give member card and 1st item to casher. After paid, do the same thing but tell her to use the points and so fore. Member is free just fill up and use hotel address if necessary.

Last check in JAN Yodobashi 6D body is ¥175800 with 10% points (¥17580) for next purchase use.

SLR and lens are not cheaper then here. Compact can be cheaper if exchange rates are in our favour. Misc item are very cheap there.
Some store even have China sales staff, just look at their name tag, those with the flag means they can speak that language. You can also claim 5% tax but if you do so you can't get the points so most of the time is take points more worth it. They also claim that they will pay the difference if you can find a shop selling cheaper. Simply take the flyer with stated price or maybe take a pic of the price. Haven't tried that so you have to ask the staff.

hmm, if the price is still hovering within that range, then i'd feel it's not worth the hassle to get it there ( i can get it shipped for 2.2k from HK instead).

any idea about the qualifying criteria for tax rebates in tokyo? any minimum spend before i can reclaim the tax dollars? :D

Canon menu should be in available in English. It's the Panasonic and Sony that are only in Japanese.

Try fujiya camera at nakano or map at shinjuku.