Where to buy ISO 800 film and how much and Brand

sunnycamera

Dec 8, 2010
SG
I started shooting film with a K mount film camera, but the one I got from Kodak shop is ISO 400,

after shoot few shots after work, I found the shutter speed fall in the 1/5 ~ 1/15 range with f2.8 lens. (as in the evening)

So I am going for the ISO 800 film, and question is

1. Kodak and Fuji shop only have ISO 400, and I got one at 5.5 SGD
2. where to get ISO 800,
3. what is the ISO 800 performance, is it noisy, how does it compare to DSLR iso 800 performance.
4. will black white be cheaper than color film.

thanks.

I started shooting film with a K mount film camera, but the one I got from Kodak shop is ISO 400,

after shoot few shots after work, I found the shutter speed fall in the 1/5 ~ 1/15 range with f2.8 lens. (as in the evening)

2. where to get ISO 800,
3. what is the ISO 800 performance, is it noisy, how does it compare to DSLR iso 800 performance.

thanks.

Can try Ruby Photo at Peninsula Shopping Centre

2. where to get ISO 800,

thanks.

1. fuji superia 1600 or new portra 800, but not cheap. black and white can get ilford delta 3200 at ruby.
2. new portra at cathay, konota, ruby.
3. color negative iso400 is noisy already.
4. for black and white. normally people push iso 400 film to 800 or 1600. tmax 400 or tri-x 400, should be ok. if you need > 1600, get iso 3200 film and push to 6400 or 12800.

anyway you should ask this at traditional dark room thread instead.

thanks for the info,
as my camera is pK mount camera and pk mount lens, I thought it fits in the pentax equipment discuss.

but if I push the iso 400 film, and fool the camera as iso 800 film, all the photo will be under-exposed right,

or should I tell the film development shop to develop the iso 400 film as iso 800 film, and compensate the expo in their post develop process.

thanks for the info,
as my camera is pK mount camera and pk mount lens, I thought it fits in the pentax equipment discuss.

but if I push the iso 400 film, and fool the camera as iso 800 film, all the photo will be under-exposed right,

or should I tell the film development shop to develop the iso 400 film as iso 800 film, and compensate the expo in their post develop process.

the lab will compensate the expo during develop process, not post develop.

if you push iso 400 film and asked the lab to process it longer. it won't be underexposed.
if you push iso 400 film and the lab does normal processing. it will be underexposed.

not every lab accept push/pull processing. konota doesn't accept. fotohub accepts it perhaps. you'll need to check again with the lab, there's extra fee for push/pull processing.

underexposing color negative is not a good idea, while overexposing is a good idea. jose villa overexposes his negative by 1 stop : http://josevillablog.com/

compensating the expo after processing is tough. it's like dodging and burning in the darkroom. for black and white it's doable. for color negative, it won't be easy.

Maybe can try Chiff.
Call to ask 1st.

just went to a fuji print shop, and another shop,

they don't do push/pull develop service,

Still no neighborhood print shops sell iso 800, luckily I found some print shops sell cheaper film,

Kodak Max 400, the cheapest I found is 4.1 SGD per roll, (12.5 sgd for 3) while some shop sell for 5-5.5 sgd
fuji and koda 200, is just 3.5 SGD.

based on that ratio, 3.5 sgd - 4 sgd, and I guess ISO 800 color will be around 5-6 SGD. definitely a bit expensive for just every day family photo.

if film at iso 800 is really requires that much effort and cost, probably I may just leave 800 iso situation for my K-x, as at 1600, Kx still give good result at zero cost. (of course, my 17-35mm on kx is no longer as wide as on film camera)

otherwise, I may just try to get a better steady hand for 1/15 sec shots

just double checked with Cathy and Ruby photo and shop around that area,

no ISO 800 color film for 135 cameras. although 120 film have.

if that is the case, I just stay with iso 400 film, just got 4 pack for 12.5 sgd for fuji shop, like 3.1 sgd each.

maybe get some iso 800 oversea in the future

Hi sunnycamera,
Last time I check,there was a fujifilm outlet in Burlington Square next to SLS. They sold film as well as Fujifilm instant cameras and accessories. You can try there.
Cheers