Where to buy good/trustworthy 3rd party battery in Singapore?

ahdede

Apr 13, 2011
Hey guys,

Probably the title says it all. Where to buy a good/trustworthy 3rd battery in Singapore? Because I will be at overseas in a few more weeks so I need to stack my battery. So I don't miss good shots...

Thanks

would be interested to know too. I've tried 3rd party battery grips before. Honestly speaking, I'm afraid of the quality. I've had one, the battery cover feels loose, and the whole build feels very plastic-ish. Having a plastic build holding on to my heavy set up and holding it vertically, doesn't give me the security, the weight balance is not right too. End up buying the original Canon battery grip with no regrets.

Yeah. But I don't think I would need a battery grip still and its too ex also. Anyone have the answer or at least a list if those shops?

I'll recommend original Canon batteries. They are expensive for a reason. Good quality, performance and I don't have to worry when I leave them charging overnight.

I always have a fear of overheating/explosion when I'm using 3rd party offerings in the past. Heard too much of those battery explosion cases.

would be interested to know too. I've tried 3rd party battery grips before. Honestly speaking, I'm afraid of the quality. I've had one, the battery cover feels loose, and the whole build feels very plastic-ish. Having a plastic build holding on to my heavy set up and holding it vertically, doesn't give me the security, the weight balance is not right too. End up buying the original Canon battery grip with no regrets.

didnt know the difference is so obvious.

Go with the original is the safest bet.

A kind soul has PM me (Better not to mention the username. Just in case he wants privacy) There's a store is at 2nd floor Excelsior shopping center. They sell 3rd party battery like nice brand called Hercules. Also, their website is Sgcamerastore.com Photography Camera Accessories - (Powered by CubeCart) So just check it out. What they sell on the website is a bit expensive then what you would get if you go to their store. Just went there this afternoon and bought one. Is even has a Warranty for the battery :O Any Question? LOL (I tried 3 building before hitting the Jackpot. Because they have 3 different store within the 3 building which is just sitting side by side...

Hope it helps.

You can go to the best and trustworthy shop to buy, but a third party battery would never be trustworthy. But you might get lucky with some.

i'll go for ebay battery. Never had any problem with them.

Yes same here so far have being using the Hercules battery for abt a year - so far no problem at all .

A kind soul has PM me (Better not to mention the username. Just in case he wants privacy) There's a store is at 2nd floor Excelsior shopping center. They sell 3rd party battery like nice brand called Hercules. Also, their website is Sgcamerastore.com Photography Camera Accessories - (Powered by CubeCart) So just check it out. What they sell on the website is a bit expensive then what you would get if you go to their store. Just went there this afternoon and bought one. Is even has a Warranty for the battery :O Any Question? LOL (I tried 3 building before hitting the Jackpot. Because they have 3 different store within the 3 building which is just sitting side by side...

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Thou I would like to recommend 3rd party batteries due to cost reasons...But after using 3 3rd party batteries, in 1 year, 2 of the 3 "died" within 50 shots, the last one can tahan ~80ish...my Original one can shoot 200+ no problems...

Got a Original battery, can easily hit 300+ shots and still got juice left. From the start, the 3rd party can shoot as many times as the original, but as time goes by, the performance degrades way faster than the original one.

*btw, one of those 3rd party batt died on me during my holiday trip...-it was full charged-, just refuse to operate.*

Last edited:
Got different 3rd party batteries from different shops. They all did their job, none gave me any trouble, always charged in the original Canon charger. Capacity was always equal or just slightly lower than the original one, the numbers on the label are always heavily overrated or wishful thinking. Check whether your original battery is chipped. If you get unchipped 3rd party batteries the camera might not show the charge status properly. My sources: MS Color and Orient Photo. Other sources should work as well.

I only have 1 pc 3rd party battery bought from online shop (www.shop.is.sg)

On its own, performance seems to be good, however when I use it with my original battery in a battery grip, this 3rd party battery drains faster than the original one.

I'm thinking of getting another original battery and use the 3rd party as backup.

Got different 3rd party batteries from different shops. They all did their job, none gave me any trouble, always charged in the original Canon charger. Capacity was always equal or just slightly lower than the original one, the numbers on the label are always heavily overrated or wishful thinking. Check whether your original battery is chipped. If you get unchipped 3rd party batteries the camera might not show the charge status properly. My sources: MS Color and Orient Photo. Other sources should work as well.

Yeap, the Hercules Brand has their respective battries chipped. Now waiting for my Original Battery drained before trying out the new one :D

Yeap, the Hercules Brand has their respective battries chipped. Now waiting for my Original Battery drained before trying out the new one :D
Bro, please try it in video mode, then it will really test how good the battery is. I bought some 3rd party battery. They performance well in normal shooting. However, once you test them in video mode, it is he'll a lot of different as compared with the original one. Hope you try it and give some user feed back.

Bad thing is, I'm using a canon 1000D... So no video. However, I won't even bother using dslr for video. I rather use my P&S for video recording anyway....

I have 2 3rd party Chromage(chipped) batteries and 1 original Canon battery for my 50D..the original battery has probably 60 charging cycles and is not holding charge very well..without flash max it'll hit 150 shots..as for the 3rd party ones it is into about 15-20 charging cycles and i would say it performs 80% now then when they were new..hitting 500 shots easily without flash..the price of 1 Chromage batt is $25 as compared to $100+ for the original..so to me I will always go for 3rd party ones..it may hit it's end-of-life by 50-60 charging cycles but yet it'll still be cheaper(5x infact) to be using 3rd party as compared to original ones..they can last me well over a year and that is good enough for me!

To be fair 1 of the 2 i bought failed to charge after 5 charging cycles but the retailer offered to exchange a brand new one without any questions asked..so I'm pretty happy!

How about buying from Stelingtek? I heard it is pretty popular.

I recommend Chromage too .. Google search "chromage canon batteries singapore" the 2nd listing down is a good reliable reseller of these.

I have 2 3rd party Chromage(chipped) batteries and 1 original Canon battery for my 50D..the original battery has probably 60 charging cycles and is not holding charge very well..without flash max it'll hit 150 shots..as for the 3rd party ones it is into about 15-20 charging cycles and i would say it performs 80% now then when they were new..hitting 500 shots easily without flash..the price of 1 Chromage batt is $25 as compared to $100+ for the original..so to me I will always go for 3rd party ones..it may hit it's end-of-life by 50-60 charging cycles but yet it'll still be cheaper(5x infact) to be using 3rd party as compared to original ones..they can last me well over a year and that is good enough for me!

To be fair 1 of the 2 i bought failed to charge after 5 charging cycles but the retailer offered to exchange a brand new one without any questions asked..so I'm pretty happy!

I have a 3rd party battery that is crappy.. once I bought my cam out with half-batt.. shooting half way, check battery meter 47%. shoot a little while more, suddenly black out. battery flat :eek: