Where to buy Gamin GPS, Funan or Sim Lim Square?

Hi all, need help on Gamin GPS, but don't know where to buy from. Whether it's Funan or Sim Lim Square, Which of these two places sell cheaper?

And is there a free lifetime download of Garmin's maps. I'm very new to these GPS system, so please do help me.

bought mine a while back, when i was shopping for it, i found that the prices are same same at most places. but there are a few versions even with the same hardware model.
the one with sing+malaysia+australia and the ones with sing+malaysia+usa are more expensive, so i got the sing+malaysia+europe version which was the cheapest at that time.
And I got mine from Challenger, just thought i would accumulate my points since price was same same in most places.
hope this helps :)

Hi all, need help on Gamin GPS, but don't know where to buy from. Whether it's Funan or Sim Lim Square, Which of these two places sell cheaper?

And is there a free lifetime download of Garmin's maps. I'm very new to these GPS system, so please do help me.

I think some places such as Audio House, BEST, Courts & Harvey Norman sells it too. ;)

Look for Mr Yan in Perfect Watch shop in SLS level 1. Decent price and good service.
Don't just go cheap cheap, but aim for a good shop who won't fleece you.

I use to get my stuff from Mr Yan (really nice person). For convenience, I now go to Challenger at Funan (for Garmin). Price difference is marginal.

Perfect Watch shop at SLS
Eastgear at lavender

Had bad experience with Garmin. Suggest you try Holux.
I compared the two, Holux seems to have better interface and ease of locating a place.

FYI, im using the Garmin... can't remember the model but its the $199 one.
I bough it at the IT show first half of the year... And guess what... It's a faulty set!!
So i took it back to Eastgear... And guess again.. There were 5 of them with the same problem!! (Saw 5 of them came in during my stay there while they were rectifying my issue...)

Seems to me that Garmin focused more on quantity nowadays instead of quality.
Did a online search and found out that a lot more suffered the same problems.

Was told by the technician that there was a faulty software installed in it and they "forgot" to remove it prior to the sales (Why don't they forget to collect your cash from you during payment then...).

Back to the performance of the GPS. It was good and fast (locating the sattelite) BEFORE the software was removed. However, after the removal of the faulty software... The tracking of the GPS signal became slowed and non responsive, worse still, at the point of time, they told me that it will not affect the performance of the GPS bla bla bla... And there was no replacement for the software they removed as they have yet to resolve the problem.

What kind of bullcrap is this? To me, a reputable brand like Garmin should be responsible to products they developed and released to the public and not release it so hastily.

The worse thing of all was that when i compared Holux and Garmin, Holux managed to tracked the GPS way faster then Garmin.
A word of advice: Good thing don't come cheap, cheap things don't come good.

P.S: I'm not trying to vent my frustration here, just stating the fact of how irresponsible Garmin can be. So you might wanna think twice before getting it.

Last edited:
My trusted Garmin 60Csx which had seen lots of action is still as reliable as from day one. My Nuvis are great. If using 3rd party maps eg. MalFree (via SD Card), just make sure you uncheck the defaulted map in the GPS.

you should be safe if u buy it from any Garmin authorised resellers.

Just a side note. If you own an iPhone 3Gs, you can get the Papago! M6 for iPhone at a cost much lower than a GPS device. Good thing is that is works exactly like a GPS, and you don't have to own another device. It's right in your pocket!

You do know that East gear is not garmin authorised dealer, right?

is SLS mean sim lim square?
I am not sure what you are asking, but if you are asking if SLS stands for Sim Lim Square, then the answer is yes.

BTW pm me if you are keen on an usued brand new Nuvi 310.

As for malsing, can anyone confirm that anyone can download the latest version onto a SD card and use it on a Garmin?

Cheers.

this is the reason why u should buy from Garmin Authorised dealers

Had bad experience with Garmin. Suggest you try Holux.
I compared the two, Holux seems to have better interface and ease of locating a place.

FYI, im using the Garmin... can't remember the model but its the $199 one.
I bough it at the IT show first half of the year... And guess what... It's a faulty set!!
So i took it back to Eastgear... And guess again.. There were 5 of them with the same problem!! (Saw 5 of them came in during my stay there while they were rectifying my issue...)

Seems to me that Garmin focused more on quantity nowadays instead of quality.
Did a online search and found out that a lot more suffered the same problems.

Was told by the technician that there was a faulty software installed in it and they "forgot" to remove it prior to the sales (Why don't they forget to collect your cash from you during payment then...).

Back to the performance of the GPS. It was good and fast (locating the sattelite) BEFORE the software was removed. However, after the removal of the faulty software... The tracking of the GPS signal became slowed and non responsive, worse still, at the point of time, they told me that it will not affect the performance of the GPS bla bla bla... And there was no replacement for the software they removed as they have yet to resolve the problem.

What kind of bullcrap is this? To me, a reputable brand like Garmin should be responsible to products they developed and released to the public and not release it so hastily.

The worse thing of all was that when i compared Holux and Garmin, Holux managed to tracked the GPS way faster then Garmin.
A word of advice: Good thing don't come cheap, cheap things don't come good.

P.S: I'm not trying to vent my frustration here, just stating the fact of how irresponsible Garmin can be. So you might wanna think twice before getting it.

Last edited: