Where to buy fiddles

Status
Not open for further replies.

fintan

Oct 16, 2004
West
Need help , anyone here seen a fiddle on sale in singapore? i only see violins.

fintan said:
Need help , anyone here seen a fiddle on sale in singapore? i only see violins.

When you see violins, don't they sell fiddles as well?:dunno:

nope sounds different. Fiddles sound abit rougher.

fintan said:
nope sounds different. Fiddles sound abit rougher.

rougher har..... buy the cheapo 60 dollar made in china violin then sound rough liao lor..... :bsmilie:

anyways, how you tell the difference? just by sound?

listen to country music. Fiddles got that "friction" sound i guess.

Sorry..I am quite a fan of old school jazz thus I am into the likes of Stefan Grappelli..etc and into bluegrass and jazz fused western style like Roy Clark, Vassar Clements...etc to modern players like Mark O'Connor. What I do know is that the only difference between a violin and a fiddle is the setup and style of play by the instrumentalist. A fiddle is from what I know (I might be wrong all this time..which is a real kick in the head! heheh ) is a more a Western American term for a violin. A person who plays one can be called called fiddler or violinist. The style is disintintive in that a violin player is more classically trained and technical manner to playing (and also the original name for this instrument as it was invented in classical europe along with similar string instruments like the viola or cello..eg)where as one playing a fiddle is more of a casual impromtu style with a bit of a freeform twang. If I explained it correctly. So in effect you can find a violin or a fiddle in any of the better music shops in Singapore.

sammy888 said:
Sorry..I am quite a fan of old school jazz thus I am into the likes of Stefan Grappelli..etc and into bluegrass and jazz fused western style like Roy Clark, Vassar Clements...etc to modern players like Mark O'Connor. What I do know is that the only difference between a violin and a fiddle is the setup and style of play by the instrumentalist. A fiddle is from what I know (I might be wrong all this time..which is a real kick in the head! heheh ) is a more a Western American term for a violin. A person who plays one can be called called fiddler or violinist. The style is disintintive in that a violin player is more classically trained and technical manner to playing (and also the original name for this instrument as it was invented in classical europe along with similar string instruments like the viola or cello..eg)where as one playing a fiddle is more of a casual impromtu style with a bit of a freeform twang. If I explained it correctly. So in effect you can find a violin or a fiddle in any of the better music shops in Singapore.

thats what i heard too..... at least thats what my violin teacher told me.... he say cheapo violin = fiddle..... but then again... classical violinist seems to belittle fiddler:bsmilie:

sammy888 said:

are the strings between the two the same? ( in terms of material )

Status
Not open for further replies.