Where to buy DSLR and how to buy used cam?

Denniswong

Nov 5, 2011
Hi all,

I'm gonna buy a D7000. May buy new or used, depending on price.

If I wanna buy new, which shop do I go? Cos I've been reading and hearing that most shops quote different prices even from the same salesperson. It depends on who you know or who recommended you. I.e., name dropping.

So in this case, anyone willing to share your "name" with the clubsnap community here, so we can get good price from particular salesmen from certain shops?

And as I also mentioned, I may buy a used one.

However, what should I look out for when I get a used cam? Scratches on body is ok with me, but what else should I check for? How to check?

Greatly appreciate your help in advance.

:)

I just got myself a used D7000 and checked a few websites on how to check the camera.
Basically, you could just find detailed info online yourself, but in a nutshell:

- Ask seller: How was it used? (e.g. hobby/pro), Why is he selling? (e.g. to fund new camera, no valid reason, etc)
- Check buttons & connections (clean & presses well)
- Check scratches on body
- Check strap (if worn out at rings)
- Check auto-focus (shoot @ near & far objects)
- Check dead pixels (5 sec @ ISO100)
- Check for dust spots (take white sky and later zoom into photo)

- Check whether all items accounted for (same as written on golden box)
- If warranty still applicable, check receipt and warranty card, or ask seller to email you a screenshot of his Nikon product warranties

Bring an experienced friend to help you check. :)

dont forget to test flash and burst shot. Check battery condition also.

Where: We have a priceguides section for a reason.
2nd hand: Discussed to death ad nauseum. Have you tried a search?

Rashkae said:
Where: We have a priceguides section for a reason.
2nd hand: Discussed to death ad nauseum. Have you tried a search?

I've seen the price guide section. Isn't it quite dated? Especially on Nikons. Maybe I saw the wrong thread, not sure.

I'd check the thread on ... Nauseum???

daniellcs said:
I just got myself a used D7000 and checked a few websites on how to check the camera.
Basically, you could just find detailed info online yourself, but in a nutshell:

- Ask seller: How was it used? (e.g. hobby/pro), Why is he selling? (e.g. to fund new camera, no valid reason, etc)
- Check buttons & connections (clean & presses well)
- Check scratches on body
- Check strap (if worn out at rings)
- Check auto-focus (shoot @ near & far objects)
- Check dead pixels (5 sec @ ISO100)
- Check for dust spots (take white sky and later zoom into photo)

- Check whether all items accounted for (same as written on golden box)
- If warranty still applicable, check receipt and warranty card, or ask seller to email you a screenshot of his Nikon product warranties

Wow. Thanks!! :)

bonrya said:
Bring an experienced friend to help you check. :)

Ya. I'd probably get my friend to help. Thanks! :)

I've seen the price guide section. Isn't it quite dated? Especially on Nikons. Maybe I saw the wrong thread, not sure.

- Ya, you were on the right thread. Please note that it's not the responsibility of the mods/admin to update the price guide (neither do they owe CSers that). Also as stated, it's meant to be a guide and not a exact price of the [insert object]. If you want to know the price, call them or send them an email for quotation.

- btw, Ad nauseam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if you find the price guild is dated, you should offer some contribution by sourcing latest info let the moderators know, this is how the price lists being updated.

catchlights, should we inform the mods (any mod?) or post new price as reply?

Prince Photogenic said:
catchlights, should we inform the mods (any mod?) or post new price as reply?

I'm not sure if you can post a reply in that thread, Prince.

Why don't you just post it in this thread, while you update the mods? :)

Denniswong said:
Hi all,

I'm gonna buy a D7000. May buy new or used, depending on price.

If I wanna buy new, which shop do I go? Cos I've been reading and hearing that most shops quote different prices even from the same salesperson. It depends on who you know or who recommended you. I.e., name dropping.

So in this case, anyone willing to share your "name" with the clubsnap community here, so we can get good price from particular salesmen from certain shops?

And as I also mentioned, I may buy a used one.

However, what should I look out for when I get a used cam? Scratches on body is ok with me, but what else should I check for? How to check?

Greatly appreciate your help in advance.

:)

If u r new in dslr, pls buy new set, or 2nd hand set with warrenty (pls no shop warrenty, thats as well as no warrenty). A lot of ppl selling junk out there, dun risk ur $. Unless u can afford not to cry over a lemon.

Seller may not know their cam got dead ccd pixel, buyer may not know how to check properly. Most buyer just go for exterior look, as long as look new, they dun even bother to check. Worst u got a cam with intermittent problem and no warrenty.

If u r new in dslr, pls buy new set, or 2nd hand set with warrenty (pls no shop warrenty, thats as well as no warrenty). A lot of ppl selling junk out there, dun risk ur $. Unless u can afford not to cry over a lemon.

Seller may not know their cam got dead ccd pixel, buyer may not know how to check properly. Most buyer just go for exterior look, as long as look new, they dun even bother to check. Worst u got a cam with intermittent problem and no warrenty.

Thanks, Miao.

I'm also thinking of the same thing. All the hassle and may end up with some defects which I'd not know until a while later, cos I'm new to DSLR.
Furthermore, unless I'm getting a discontinued model, the priced of a used cam is only slightly cheaper than a brand new one, which may not be worth saving.

thanks!:)