Where to buy dry box, and which to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fterh

Nov 23, 2009
Can gurus advice where should I purchase my dry box from, and what brand/model is recommended? Nothing fancy, perhaps a hydrometer will be enough :)

Please don't ask me to get a dry cabinet... I've decided to get a dry cabi perhaps next year when I start working part-time (to earn some money for a new lens too)...

TIA.

find any air tight container and fill it with silica gel

I heard a dry box is very cheap and not worth to DIY... true?

:) there r many way to store your camera. if u use it often, weekly.:cool:
u do not need a 'dry' thing to store base on my experience.

Do not keep in air seal box immediately after u use or bring home.:confused:
Store some where clean and dry container can last u few year without any issue, depend on model too:

What'd you mean by "Do not keep in air seal box immediately after u use or bring home"?

But I won't use it very often... especially when school starts.

What'd you mean by "Do not keep in air seal box immediately after u use or bring home"?

But I won't use it very often... especially when school starts.

in that case, get a dry box then.

if ur gears is not alot (More than 2 lens, got flash, got grip etc) or too exp, u can get one at ard range from 110-150.

Last edited:
I only got one body and one lens (kit) so I only need a drybox.

I only got one body and one lens (kit) so I only need a drybox.

Seriously if you use it once a day...say you bring it out of your house and it need not be very far...just outside your main gate and snap a picture, the camera do not need to be in a dry box at all. No fungus will form. There will be slight dust on the lens and camera body which you need to clean with a soft lint free cloth.

Fungus or mildew will form if the camera is stationary and the air is still. Contary to perception, fungus only require 20% moisture to be activated and most are already activated while airbourne.

As a student you notice that your calculator never have fungus on it cos you use it everyday. That's what i'm trying to mean above. Anything you leave stationery in a corner and not move them, fungus and corrosion will set in.

20% moisture... so even if dry box e.g. 30% also will form?

But when school reopens I can't snap a picture every day... I won't have time. Next year is my Os already. So I want to play it safe by keeping it in a dry box

I heard thirsty hippo works "too well"... meaning it sucks too much moisture... so it will be too dry.

I suppose with a bottle of silica gel you can choose how much to use.

Last edited:

Always have a habit of cleaning your equipments after a day's shooting, even while on holidays. Jacky is right, don't keep in seal box immedidiately. After cleaning, leave it out for a few hrs so that the perspiration on your camera strap will dry off. THen store it up. ;)

If I buy a 10L lock & lock and a bottle of silica gel and a hygrometer... will that be good enough? I think this would be cheaper than a non-diy dry box... I don't need it to be strong or what because I won't be bringing it out.

Is L&L a good brand? Where to buy silica gel and hygrometer? I live in Hougang.

Always have a habit of cleaning your equipments after a day's shooting, even while on holidays. Jacky is right, don't keep in seal box immedidiately. After cleaning, leave it out for a few hrs so that the perspiration on your camera strap will dry off. THen store it up. ;)
Cleaning means using the lint-free cloth to wipe the lens, display, and the body?

Cleaning means using the lint-free cloth to wipe the lens, display, and the body?

Give you one practical advise: bring your camera just outside your main gate. Stand outside at the corridor and snap a picture is also considered as daily use.

Buy 3M lint free cloth which wont cost you more than $5 at NTUC or Home-Fix DIY to clean your camera after each use.

The point is you want the air around the camera to swish by a bit. Anything that is stationery even in a dry box will still have fungus growth. Warm air will also contribute to mold growth. We live in Singapore where the humidity is high all year round.

If I buy a 10L lock & lock and a bottle of silica gel and a hygrometer... will that be good enough? I think this would be cheaper than a non-diy dry box... I don't need it to be strong or what because I won't be bringing it out.

Is L&L a good brand? Where to buy silica gel and hygrometer? I live in Hougang.

Where you live is not important. Pros always recommend a dry cabinet. Why? Because it only looks more pro.

I use a D700 and never put it in a dry cabinet or any storage box. After each use, just wipe it clean (buy 3M lint free cloth from Home-Fix DIY) and air dry the strap cos you sweat a lot. Then when everything is dry, put it in a plastic toyogo box (buy from NTUC for $7) and throw in one or two small sachets of silica gel (i get it from Home-Fix DIY for $2 each)

I'm a newbie myself and hence had the same question in mind before. After much thought and research, I made up my mind to invest in a dry cabinet.

1. I have to store my camera somewhere. Even if I choose to get an airtight box and fill it with silica gel, cost is still incurred. So it is either I spend now or later..

2. I am too lazy to monitor the level of moisture on my own, so convenience is a plus point.

3. My 500D cost me $1299 exc my 50mm lens. So what is another hundred dollar to keep my camera safe even if I am new

4. Everytime I wake up and see a nice solid black box keeping my camera, it makes my day :D

I bought Akarui Digi 28l (click link below) from Tampines Mega Courts for $118. I think it is sufficient for newbies like us. Hopefully this information is helpful.

http://img710.imageshack.us/i/img00092200911290245.jpg/

Last edited:
How about brandless dry box frm MS colours etc...23bucks with silica gel...might nt be powerful enuff...can buy more silica gel and add in...

Seriously if you use it once a day...say you bring it out of your house and it need not be very far...just outside your main gate and snap a picture, the camera do not need to be in a dry box at all. No fungus will form. There will be slight dust on the lens and camera body which you need to clean with a soft lint free cloth.

Fungus or mildew will form if the camera is stationary and the air is still. Contary to perception, fungus only require 20% moisture to be activated and most are already activated while airbourne.

As a student you notice that your calculator never have fungus on it cos you use it everyday. That's what i'm trying to mean above. Anything you leave stationery in a corner and not move them, fungus and corrosion will set in.

Hi, im a newbie who just started photography 3mths ago with my D3000. I can attest to what was mentioned above. Prior to getting a drybox i have been using my cam weekly and never used any drybox or cabinet. I always kept my equipment in the lowepro bag that came with my purchase and a few sachets of Silica gel thrown in. From then until now no fungus so far.

It is only recently i bought a dry box coz i need to go o/s due to work commitments and the cam will be unused for 2-3 wks sometimes. Hope this helps :cheers:

How about brandless dry box frm MS colours etc...23bucks with silica gel...might nt be powerful enuff...can buy more silica gel and add in...

No need to go to camera shop to buy dry box. Any air tight plastic box from NTUC or DIY shop will do. Throw in one or two sachet of silica gel. Once a month take out your silica gel and dry it in your microwave for 2 minutes or 5 minutes in a small toaster oven and you are good to go for another month.

If you have plenty of budget then go out and buy a dry cabinet. They do the same thing but if you dont use your camera for a long time, then fungus will still slowly grow. The thing is you must move your stuff a bit like I said earlier in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.