Where to buy dry box, and which to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a digihub dry box from MS color... $23... dunno if this is normal but...

When I bought it the hygrometer reports 60%. I bring home and open the lid and after a while it becomes 80+%. After storing my camera inside and unwrapping the packet of silica gel... I sealed the drybox.

After 10 mins I check and it is 85%. I rapped the box with my knuckles and the gauge jumped to 78%. Now it's like an hour later and it's 73%. How long does the silica gel takes to suck up the moisture?

Shop got aircon so RH lower.

If you turn on the aircon and then open your drybox, it will also show a lower RH reading.

Leave it for a day and see how low it goes, don't worry so much, beansprouts won't grow our of your lens in that 24 hours.

It takes a few hours....leave for a nite and and you see the reading falls.

Ah k... left overnight and now it's 49%. It falls between 40%-50% so it should be fine.

I'm just wondering how I should remove the moisture from the silica gel. I don't have a microwave... will leaving it in the sun work?

[quote
Cleaning means using the lint-free cloth to wipe the lens, display, and the body?[/quote]
When you take a bath, do you just clean your legs only? You wash the from top to bottom right? ;p Get a good lint free or good microfibre cloth & a good blower. Even cloth for cleaning spectacles will do a good job. A well maintained piece of equipment will last you much longer. Never neglect them.

How about brandless dry box frm MS colours etc...23bucks with silica gel...might nt be powerful enuff...can buy more silica gel and add in...

I'm using that... it's good enough because the RH is at 48% which is in the range...

I'm using that... it's good enough because the RH is at 48% which is in the range...

i just bought the 23bucks dry box from ms colour too. they told me to put my silica gel on the cover and when it turns pink must change it. normally how long will it take to turn pink? so that means now and then must take out and check? cos normally i 2 weeks take out once and use only.

You don't have to check it... because it's airtight so if the RH maintains between 40-50% you can just leave it. ;)

Guys... how come the silica gel stops absorbing water when RH is around 48%? It's still purple.. shouldn't it keep absorbing?

anybody using the 23bucks drybox frm mscolour? should i take out the whole silica gel pack and put it into microwave? cos its plastic. wil melt. if can put, how long shld i put and what temperature?

Sigh... did you read the instructions??? Microwave safe plastic... 1 min on low/medium... -.-

Sigh... did you read the instructions??? Microwave safe plastic... 1 min on low/medium... -.-

they gave me 1 that does not say anything abt temp and microwave. if its mentioned thr why wil i be so dumb and ask qn here, im not a 18 yr old kid dude.

There should be a slip of paper with the dry box... anyway the instructions are on the digihub website :)

There should be a slip of paper with the dry box... anyway the instructions are on the digihub website :)

guess that slip of paper drop off or sth while the guy took it out. thanks for ur info !

Won't it cause harm to health when put in microwave??

hey. a newbie here. (;

i use my dslr camera around once per two days.

then i just take keep the lens n body in the the eos bag.

i know it's not a good practise after reading the thread.

i heard abt the drybox from mscolor? issit good?

i need advice. thanks. advice like what i shud do after a day of taking photos and keeping it.

hey. a newbie here. (;

i use my dslr camera around once per two days.

then i just take keep the lens n body in the the eos bag.

i know it's not a good practise after reading the thread.

i heard abt the drybox from mscolor? issit good?

i need advice. thanks. advice like what i shud do after a day of taking photos and keeping it.

Hi, welcome to CS :) If you use it very often, just leave it outside (out of your bag, I mean in the house, not outside your house ;p) somewhere with good air circulation & cover with a piece of cloth, after cleaning it with every use. Don't leave in the bag because sometimes its damp from the perspiration & mould loves dark & damp places. But if you have spare cash & you value your equipments, then go buy a dry cabinet or DIY one. ;)

thanks for the reply! :)

so if u use quite often then i can get a dry box with the silica gel issit?

i noe its good to get a dry cabinet. but currently, finanically, i got to buy some other things for myself first. working part time but this mth pay not so good. hahaha. hahaha. maybe in 2 mths or so i will get the dry cabinet.

im just afraid that "that 2 mths".. anything can happen. so shud i get the dry box(the 25 bucks from ms color) while waiting for the 2 mths to come? *taking note how much i use the camera*

thanks (;

thanks for the reply! :)

so if u use quite often then i can get a dry box with the silica gel issit?

i noe its good to get a dry cabinet. but currently, finanically, i got to buy some other things for myself first. working part time but this mth pay not so good. hahaha. hahaha. maybe in 2 mths or so i will get the dry cabinet.

im just afraid that "that 2 mths".. anything can happen. so shud i get the dry box(the 25 bucks from ms color) while waiting for the 2 mths to come? *taking note how much i use the camera*

thanks (;

2 months shouldn't be a problem, just take it out regularly to shoot and not leave it in the cupboard / toilet. Note that if you buy a dry box now, later switch to dry cabinet, you end up spending more than just simply getting the dry cabinet now.

thanks!

yeah i guess u're right. i might as well save for the dry cabinet. (;

i put my camera in a desk with a plastic of silica gel (about 8 of them)
does this work?

becoz haven't bought a dry cabinet/dry box yet

Status
Not open for further replies.