Where to buy a silent desktop pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaren

Staff member
Oct 27, 2003
hi folks,

am looking for a silent desktop pc, as quiet as a notebook computer e.g. thinkpad. appreciate ur suggestions and recommendations. mebbe the ones i've seen so far in SLS are the really cheapo DIY ones which are pretty noisy.

thx.

hi folks,

am looking for a silent desktop pc, as quiet as a notebook computer e.g. thinkpad. appreciate ur suggestions and recommendations. mebbe the ones i've seen so far in SLS are the really cheapo DIY ones which are pretty noisy.

thx.

any desktop will be silent as long as you don't switch it on :bsmilie:

on a serious note, it depends on the internal fans to keep the noise down.

any desktop will be silent as long as you don't switch it on :bsmilie:

on a serious note, it depends on the internal fans to keep the noise down.

actually have, some made it all based on aluminium/copper passive cooling... no fan on cpu & graphics cooler, then heatsink on the hdd with silicon dampers, etc... entire rig super light, not to mention, soundless... almost... problem is, cannot have too many things inside, and have to use thin cables, anyway, with sata cables... dun have to bother much...

Well... you can go water cooled, but that costs a fotune. Most of the really silent ones are custom jobs.

Look for cases with 120mm fan slots. These fans are bigger, so they do not need to spin as fast to push the same volume of air as the smaller fans. You can get slightly expensive fans, with fluid bearings & all, can hardly hear them.

You can change the heat sink/fan on you CPU to something that is quiter also.

Another culprit is the video card fan. They tend to be smaller and have to spin like mad at times, especially if you are gaming.

The noisest thing in my current system is my power supply. You can get high end, near silent power supplies. However, they do not come cheap.

Usually those office use Dell and HP brand PC are quite quite, but bad in performance, can't customise much (& costly yo do so) also.

I build my own, it's noisy indeed, thinking of building a water cooling PC in the future and hope it would be more quiet.

Most branded desktops are quite silent these days, even the high powered, super graphic Dell workstation.

I recently built my own and was quite happy to find that many casings these days have fans that are very silent. On top of that, hard drives, graphic cards, CPU fans and PSU fans too have quieten down a lot. All these factors help to create very silent PCs.

_

Most branded desktops are quite silent these days, even the high powered, super graphic Dell workstation.

I recently built my own and was quite happy to find that many casings these days have fans that are very silent. On top of that, hard drives, graphic cards, CPU fans and PSU fans too have quieten down a lot. All these factors help to create very silent PCs.

_
agreed... my PC is just placed beside me but i don really hear anything unless i concentrate too much :bsmilie:

hi folks,

thx.
noise and cost are usually inversely proportional.

You can try out some SFF PCs. They are small and quite quiet. My gf has one on her desk and I hardly heard anything.

noise and cost are usually inversely proportional.

You can try out some SFF PCs. They are small and quite quiet. My gf has one on her desk and I hardly heard anything.

best is just put a mobo with a fan, psu by the side, hdd cover with silicon sleeve... then aircon 24/7 at 20degreeC... hehehe best system...

btw, sometimes room so quiet, i even hear the sound from my lcd monitor... even the technician got shocked that i report i hear sound from my lcd monitor... thought some failure, but its normal...

The Intel core 2 duo are quite cool nowaday so anything base on that should be easy to keep db low.....change the CPU heatsink to those passive type if money is no issue....there are also those silent PSU and fanless Graphic card mainly from Asus or Gigabyte.....if not you can change to those Zalman heasink or even water cooling......also keep your chasis fan to the minimum if you can....after that I bet the noisiest thing now will be your HDD and DVD drive when they are in action :D

Dell PCs are quiet. They have designed it to be quiet as much as possible ..

an apple iMac or mac mini loaded with windows xp? =P

If you're into total silence, there's something from Zalman, their TNN-500A fanless case...

take a look:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/

check under their TNN systems.

really noiseless, cos no more fans at all =)

Any idea where to get their Zalman ultra quiet fans?

Has anyone used the Thermaltake Armor series of chassis? these are big towers with 1300rpm 12cm fans in front and behind the chassis. I am interested because of the slower large fans and also direct airflow over the HDD slots. I will put at least 3 × 500GB and possibly up to 5 HDD so cooling for HDD is very important to me.

Keep the computer dust free! Dust makes the fans work harder and noisier. Other than that, Dell's PCs are quiet. Also, Just remember that the smaller the fan and the faster it spins, the more noise produced. Or, it could be due to the optical drive.

wow...thx all for the suggestions so far. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.