Where to buy a cheaper hygrometer?

Hi guys, at Daiso which outlet did you guys go, and which section is it under? I tried searching but can't find any hygrometer. Sorry for digging up the thread!

Daiso meter accurate?
The one I bought from daiso seems to be quite off.

Daiso meter accurate?

Which section you bought it from? The digital one I bought from Qoo10 shows 82 degrees at salt test, so I think is see luck one. Strangely it seems to agree with my digital cabinet so I don't know if I'm doing salt test correctly... Then again my old dry box the analog hygrometer shows 65 degrees. Now don't know who to trust!

Daiso meter accurate?

Pls lah. $2 thing, what do u expect??! !

Always remember the golden rule below.

Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are not good.

Pls lah. $2 thing, what do u expect??! ! Always remember the golden rule below. Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are not good.

Haha. Same thought. As long as it works..,

The daiso meter is pretty accurate. Atleast for mine. It is okay for it to have some deviation. About +/- 5%. It applies for even expensive hydrometers. Btw my daiso bought one is from bukit panjang. Mine lives permanently in the dry cabinet after i bought one.
Response time is more of an issue than accuracy. Analog ones take some time to change to new humidity.(eg. When i open the door of the dry cabinet humidity rises sharply with electronic one, while analog one slowly increases). Opposite applies for closing of dry cabinet door.

$ForumRunner_20151221_232651.jpg

Btw i opened the daiso meter's cover before. Inside is just a coil of flat copper-colored wire, attached to the middle axle for the display needle.

Which section you bought it from? The digital one I bought from Qoo10 shows 82 degrees at salt test, so I think is see luck one. Strangely it seems to agree with my digital cabinet so I don't know if I'm doing salt test correctly... Then again my old dry box the analog hygrometer shows 65 degrees. Now don't know who to trust!

If you did the salt test correctly, the constant result is 75%. Do the test 2-3 times for consistency of result.

Hygrometer made and shipped will never be 100% accurate. Calibration is usually required even for expensive model. Each time you do the controlled salt test, wait 8 hours and observe where the needle is pointing.

It might likely be not pointing at 75% but at other readings instead. All you need to note is where it is pointing. That is the 75% mark. If you repeat the test and it always point at the same place. Just adjust the needle to point at the 75% mark BUT if there is no adjustment screw available to adjust the needle, then try to rotating the reading dial till the 75% mark is at where the needle points. Put it in your cabinet and see how much difference it is compared to the digital hygrometer of your cabinet. Your salt tested hygrometer will show you how accurate the digital one in your cabinet really is... or not.

If you can not adjust the digital one, then just mentally offset the difference to figure out the true reading of humidity in the cabinet. Hygrometer is old tech so even the cheap type will still be quite a good indicator for reference. Non digital ones that is. So long as you keep the humidity of your cabinet within the optimum range you are fine. Mine stays within 33 to 44% when I keep opening and closing it often. When I never open the cabinet, it stays around 36%.

I use that for all my photographic gear and electronic devices without problem for years.

Last edited:
Pls lah. $2 thing, what do u expect??! !

Always remember the golden rule below.

Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are not good.

I do understand that rule . I never expect it to be accurate. The one I bought is not accurate which I understand.

Since someone is specifically looking for it, I just want to check if it is accurate for them.

My is like off by 20 haha.

I think you chose the wrong one.
There are many at Daiso, all different readings.
Maybe can bring a "trusted" hygrometer there, compare and choose.

I think you chose the wrong one.
There are many at Daiso, all different readings.
Maybe can bring a "trusted" hygrometer there, compare and choose.

May be a spoil one haha

May be a spoil one haha

On the shelf, most will show almost similar reading and the rest will be some other readings.
I think the usual practise is to choose from the majority right ?
Scarly the majority are the spoilt ones ?! Haha

On the shelf, most will show almost similar reading and the rest will be some other readings.
I think the usual practise is to choose from the majority right ?
Scarly the majority are the spoilt ones ?! Haha

My is the one show in the picture posted by Leothesolar :) so I guess it is a spoilt one that I got. Anyway I will be looking for another hygrometer soon.

My is the one show in the picture posted by Leothesolar :) so I guess it is a spoilt one that I got. Anyway I will be looking for another hygrometer soon.

I got a couple of these and supposed to test out their accuracy - now where did I put them...
If size is not an issue, Mustafa Level 4 got a few that has thermometer function.