Where should I focus when it comes to group photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liangerism

Jul 25, 2007
sidewaysphotographique.com
hello all,

recently, i've attempted a few group shots. i thought if i juz focus at the center person, the pic would turn up fine.
but unfortunately, only the person i focused on is sharp, the rest of them are kinda blurry.

so where should i actually point my focus at? or is it some other factors, like my F-value or lens, which is causing this problem?

please advise. and thanks alot in advance!:)

Smaller aperture. =)

Usually the VIPs in a group photo are front and center, so focus on them. Use smaller apertures to ensure a larger DOF, and shoot several pictures to ensure that you have a higher chance of everyone having their eyes open.

And one way to "jazz" up the group, get them to do something like yell a word together ("Champions!"), then you'll likely get everyone smiling. Unless they're not meant to be smiling, of course :bsmilie:

hello all,

recently, i've attempted a few group shots. i thought if i juz focus at the center person, the pic would turn up fine.
but unfortunately, only the person i focused on is sharp, the rest of them are kinda blurry.

so where should i actually point my focus at? or is it some other factors, like my F-value or lens, which is causing this problem?

please advise. and thanks alot in advance!:)

Centre, f11

For canon user, there's a mode on the dial called 'A-DEP' (above M mode).
Hope this help.

alright guys.

based on what u all said, i believe it's my aperture which caused the people at the sides to be blurry. well, i will take note of that, and will close down my aperture further for the next group shooting.

thanks alot, u guys have helped.

depend on how far you stand to the subject and aperture setting these will determine the depth of view.

not everything is about f8, f11.. maybe u want to read up on hyperfocusing to have a better understanding on what aperture to you and where to focus. :)

... And one way to "jazz" up the group, get them to do something like yell a word together ("Champions!"), then you'll likely get everyone smiling. ...

if it's a group of men, I found that one of the effective ways to get them to smile is to have the photographer (in this case, you) tell the group: "Say SEX!!!!!"

Hii..Hii...Hii...
How about if all girls? can say "sexy" huh to make them smile? :sticktong

if it's a group of men, I found that one of the effective ways to get them to smile is to have the photographer (in this case, you) tell the group: "Say SEX!!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.