Where is the shutter located?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpioh

Jul 17, 2007
Woodlands
I am always very curious where is the shutter located. Once the mirror flips up, i see the sensor. So where is the shutter? Also when I do a long exposure shot, say 10 secs, once I press the shutter-release button, I hear a "clik" (i presume its mirror slap-up), 10 secs later, I hear a "clak" (Is this the shutter sound?) another 10 secs later only can I preview the image (why this delay?)

Anyone noes what's going on inside the camera? thanks!

You can see it in action when you switch to sensor cleaning mode. At the point you select it, the shutter flips up and stay there for you to clean the sensor. Normally it flips up and down according to the shutter speed selected.

I am always very curious where is the shutter located. Once the mirror flips up, i see the sensor. So where is the shutter? Also when I do a long exposure shot, say 10 secs, once I press the shutter-release button, I hear a "clik" (i presume its mirror slap-up), 10 secs later, I hear a "clak" (Is this the shutter sound?) another 10 secs later only can I preview the image (why this delay?)

Anyone noes what's going on inside the camera? thanks!

behind the mirror la... mirror up is a function for you to clean the sensor...so the shutter is also open as well, thats why cannot see... r u sure u take 20sec to see preview for a 10sec shot ??

first sound is mirror up plus shutter open, second sound is shutter close plus mirror down... the shutter should be 2 vertical plane/curtain, both open from the bottom up or up bottom depends... the speed of these 2 curtain or the opening window also determine ur fastest flash sync speed... which is 1/180 for this case...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CHgBuKmfog

The DSLRs nowadays use focal plane shutters, which means that the shutter is located just over the sensor. It's a really fast device, so I doubt you can see it easily right after the mirror flips up, maybe if you do some high speed video recording and slow the frame rate down... Casio has a prosumer that can do some crazy 1000 frames/sec video, whoever has that camera care to try? ;p

I agree with flowerpot's explanation of the two sounds. And the extra 10sec wait after the shutter closes is for the camera to take a "dark frame" with equivalent exposure time for noise cancellation use. You can turn this feature off in the custom menus, when you really have no time to waste between shots (eg. when taking fireworks), but be prepared for terrible discoloured pixels all over the place.... Not sure how well noise removal software can handle that.

:)

Just use your finger to flip up the mirror then you can see the shutter liao. ;)

if your camera has shutter delay function, means the mirror will go up first and shutter fire in slightly delay. you can active it and see the shutter in action, a few pieces of black meter blades moving up reveal and come down to cover the sensors.

you also can use mirror lock up function if your camera have it.

btw, think you activate the Noise Reduction for Long Exposure function, the camera need some time to process the images, hence it take awhile for the preview to show up.

Thanks for all the clarifications!

K10D_shutter.jpg

What is so "bloody" or "violent" about the image?
It is just a disassembled shutter assembly of a K10D. No big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.