Where is the Love?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was once i didn't bring my textbook to school and asked my friend if i could borrow his... and he asked "What benefit will i get?"

I was so shocked at his reply that i was stunned for a few seconds before i managed to say

"Just take it like you are helping me?"

I wonder what is wrong with these people! They are everywhere at every level of our society... can't they think for others instead of thinking of themselves all the time?

competitive society because of our educational system

cannot be second best

must always be first

must always think of yourself first

or people will laff at you

There was once i didn't bring my textbook to school and asked my friend if i could borrow his... and he asked "What benefit will i get?"

I was so shocked at his reply that i was stunned for a few seconds before i managed to say

"Just take it like you are helping me?"

I wonder what is wrong with these people! They are everywhere at every level of our society... can't they think for others instead of thinking of themselves all the time?

might as well ask him what he want... :sweat:

i normally go to class with alot of extra things 1, so people in class borrow...

like now go turning class, haha, bring own carbide cutter, centre bore, drill bit set, carbide parter, carbide thread cutter, digital caliper, digital micrometer, even bring own drill chuck... lol... like pasar malam...

i belong to the siao on group, everything must get ready before doing... like take degree time, text book as long as the lecturer say recommended, must buy... buy liao never read, lend friend read... later i absorb their essence... :bsmilie:

wah...u really a kind helpful person :thumbsup: soon you'll be promote to senior moderator :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

your friend is an idiot :bsmilie:

They are pretty common nowadays to get that kind of attitude from singaporeans.

The international students are more friendly and helpful.

I think that competition and the fast paced economy

has killed our values and willingness to help others.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

your friend is an idiot :bsmilie:

They are pretty common nowadays to get that kind of attitude from singaporeans.

The international students are more friendly and helpful.

I think that competition and the fast paced economy

has killed our values and willingness to help others.

i think still immature la

most of the people i know are not like that, but then they are my age :bsmilie:

when they are my age, they will say yes yes i help!

then use eye power to help :bsmilie:

Perhaps you are hanging out with the wrong crowd?

I realized from my personal observation of our tiny island that we do not spread the love! Everyone of us has so much love to give to others, why are we closing ourselves up to the world? We should help each other if possible, and when you are down the next time round... someone will come back to help you up again.

Why have our hearts closed to the world? Is it due to competition that we do not want to share what we know with others? Will people ever realize that strategic alliances are better then competing with one another? We should love the world... after all it has given us life and we should cherish everything around us.

Please share your experiences....

don't know if we live on the same tiny island...but the tiny island i know at least has some good people who donate money, effort and time to charity or a worthy cause, give up their seats to elderly folk in buses and trains, help out friends in times of emotional or financial distress, etc. even in a forum like clubsnap, we have some nice people who offer free help and advice to newbies as well as more experienced members.

true, there are the self-centred me-only types who will not share a crumb with anyone else, but there are also the generous and sharing types (perhaps in the minority, but they exist nonetheless).

This tiny island is indeed strange.

I just had another encounter with a different classmate in another module

We were to form groups of max 4 people to do a assignment

I saw a group with 3 people and i asked if i could join them

The rest were filled up to their limits.

"We are comfortable with 3." He replied.

Is it the school or is it the tiny island?

Because i clearly know back in primary school

They refused to lend simple stuffs like rulers

And back in secondary school

I asked a classmate if she could teach me to use the mathematical formula

As i was unable to get the correct answer, and she replied "No."

I wish reality was a little different and there are genuinely nice people out there.

I wish reality was a little different and there are genuinely nice people out there.

wah...

i normally lend my rulers, pens, etc.. until i always lose them... i have like 4-5 pilot shakers sometimes, cos lost until i sian, so buy a few... just in case.

then when ppl ask me how to do maths or other revision, i normally help them lor... but i often find them taking it for granted...

Hey babe,
Think your problem lies with giving them an option.
Can I join your group n Can u teach me how to do?
Must be more firm in your approach.... must tell them you better let me join your group or I will stab you to death with the Pilot Shaker I borrowed from Del_CtrlnoAlt . lolx

Hey babe,
Think your problem lies with giving them an option.
Can I join your group n Can u teach me how to do?
Must be more firm in your approach.... must tell them you better let me join your group or I will stab you to death with the Pilot Shaker I borrowed from Del_CtrlnoAlt . lolx

now i know where 1 of my shaker went... :angry:

which primary sch and secondary sch you study in?
next time i wont enroll my kids there (if i ever have any in the near distant future).
the kids there are either selfish or messed up...

Haha.. i don't think it is about the school i think it is about the general competitive student mindset... they are afraid of someone else getting higher grades then them because the grading system is based on a bell shaped curve which means only the top 20% will get the distinctions.

The worst thing is that if this is happening in schools... how about the workforce? Isn't it like worse out there with all the politics ?

I think the international students are the friendlier lot, as compared to the singaporeans (in my degree course) they are more willing to help out because fortunately our grading system is based on merit and not competition... so as long we study we get the grades... ( Thank god for the Australian system).

Personally, I have enough encounters in Singapore and overseas to know that there are good and bad people out there. I have met many who help you without reward and many who take advantage of you any time. It has nothing to do with the fact that we are Singaporeans in a tiny island, but the fact that we are human. Travel and stay in more places, and you realise that people are the same basically. Stop beating ourselves up that Singaporeans are the only so and so. We are not that unique....well...our sense of humour is unique...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.