Where is cheap to get Windows XP Home/Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
I got a quote of S$369 for the Home Edition and S$529 for the Pro from a shop in Funan Ctr. Is this considered "standard" price?

Anyone knows of a cheaper place to get in Sim Lim or Funan? Is there discount for students?

THANK U!!!

tats the box price...

go SLS, any shop and ask for the OEMs, it will be cheaper.. think if i remember correctly, i always buy xp pro for 350++

I got my OEM XP Pro onli $235 at SL Sq.

Got my box retail version XP pro 2002 at $100.
Registered and using now

Thanks guys... Any particular shop to recommend? evq, where did u get yours? Thanks! it's pretty urgent... Would like to go down to SLS at lunch time later.

I'm a bit confused. How come even for Windows there's OEM? I thought legally, XP should be sold as its original packaging with its own product key?

And... What is the main diff between Home and XP versions? It's for my new comp at home... Thanks again.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
kaoz... so cheap... where u buy?
i think Costronic if i remember correctly. Gotta go back check the receipt.

dominator said:
Got my box retail version XP pro 2002 at $100.
Registered and using now
Box at $100?? Likely this is the upgrade version?

evq said:
i think Costronic if i remember correctly. Gotta go back check the receipt.

I concur with evq, OEM's at about that $230 price range. Any shop should carry the OEMs at that price range. I normally frequent Fuwell.

David said:
Thanks guys... Any particular shop to recommend? evq, where did u get yours? Thanks! it's pretty urgent... Would like to go down to SLS at lunch time later.

I'm a bit confused. How come even for Windows there's OEM? I thought legally, XP should be sold as its original packaging with its own product key?

And... What is the main diff between Home and XP versions? It's for my new comp at home... Thanks again.

i forget which part, i know there is this server network thingy in XP Pro, XP home cannot...

anyway, OEM means no box, come with a new computer... it still have cdkey & the same OS, no diff, all those HP, Dell, etc all use OEMs.

David said:

OEM version are meant for purchase with a new PC at the same shop. But they dun practice this. And U dun get Technical support, which is not a big deal if u know DIY & stuff. Other than that, no diff from Box version. Just that u save $ lor.

U can shop ard SL for the best price. Most are around $240 for XP Pro. Home version is less than $200. Forgot the price liao. I got it in Mar'05.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Pro version is more for networking. Easlier to network 2 or more PC at home.
Btw, u can check out the diff at Microsoft site.
My advice is to get the Pro version. OS can last u a few yr, $240 is not a ex investment.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
now XP got 2 version... 64bit & normal.. dun get 64bit... even if u have a 64bit system...
Yeah, ageed. Will have drivers compatibility problem with most hardware & software.

i got mine also at SLS...

buy XP Pro... :thumbsup: dun buy Home... :thumbsd:

think price at SLS range ard 230 plus minus..

:cool:

Thanks guys... Will go check it out later.

Hmm from the differences I read, dun think I will need the extra features that come with XP Pro. Looks more like for businesses and those who are into computers... But if the price diff isn'tt much, I think I will settle for the Pro version.

oem only meant for the very first system u install rite ? if that system spoilt than u got to purchase another license rite ?

Status
Not open for further replies.