Where in SIN would you bring your foreign friends?


Status
Not open for further replies.

lumen

New Member
Jan 9, 2004
328
0
0
#1
Hi guys,

This is a totally irrelevant question and has nothing to do with photography ;p

Ok, I have two foreign friends who would be coming down next week to Singapore... I promised them last year if they came, I would bring them around Singapore. Now, one of them came to Singapore a couple of times, whereas the other friend has not.

Ahhh, the question is... where in SIN would you bring them?? I could only think about the boring old places like Orchard Road lah, Zoo lah, etc *yawn*

Oh the other thing is they only have the whole afternoon and evening with me before they take a flt back (they are here on business trip so hence the tight schedule... managed to squeeze some time after they finished their business :) )

Any interesting ideas? ;)
 

Drudkh

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2004
6,129
0
0
lulu island
#2
Chinatown, Little Inida? Go Chomchom or bedok eat the famous local food? At night can go geylang if they wanna happy happy? or else go clarke quake or Mohd Sultan?
 

igpenguin

New Member
Jan 30, 2002
1,070
0
0
www.flickr.com
#3
presume they doing biz in town... to the oldest chinese temple in town, chinatown / sri mariamam temple, makan some stuff at the hawker centre, see the durian and mystical tourist lion symbol at marina, go to little india, hop to orchard or suntec or parkway to shop, dinner, send off...

personally i think chinatown is not too bad since you can see a piece of the heartland hear the HDB blocks and then browse for sourvenirs at the "revamped-retro" (bleeeah) shophouses side, as well as visit the india temple there.
 

igpenguin

New Member
Jan 30, 2002
1,070
0
0
www.flickr.com
#4
actually i also wanted to suggest toa payoh... hardly a touristy place but another place mixing modern and heartland singapore. unless your friends do really prefer to go do things the STB wants them to do!
 

lumen

New Member
Jan 9, 2004
328
0
0
#5
mmmm.... just wondering... i never gone to chinatown recently... are those make-shift shops selling CNY stuff open in the day? or only at night?

actually i was thinking abt those duck tours... wow... veryyyy ex.... ... ...
 

lumen

New Member
Jan 9, 2004
328
0
0
#6
igpenguin said:
actually i also wanted to suggest toa payoh... hardly a touristy place but another place mixing modern and heartland singapore. unless your friends do really prefer to go do things the STB wants them to do!
yah i was also thinking about toa payoh! ... ehhh ... but what to do in the heartlands huh? i dunno if they will be bored or not....
 

lumen

New Member
Jan 9, 2004
328
0
0
#8
Drudkh said:
can go pulau ubin or pasir ris park?
wah pulau ubin sounds good! :) think that'll be unusual for them :)
 

Witness

Senior Member
Mar 18, 2004
6,943
0
36
33
www.maverickatwork.com
#9
yup...toapayoh....bring them for a little walk ard the old hdb estates...and show tell them about the upgrading works lo...

then can go some old hawker centre ard queensway for dinner..... show them more of a side less seen by tourists lo.....since wat the tour agencies can offer they can easily get...

cheers...
 

Drudkh

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2004
6,129
0
0
lulu island
#10
can also go halland village for lunch or dinner. show them one of the oldest hawker centre in singapore and try the food there. esp "hum chee peng, you cha kuay, etc" :)
 

lumen

New Member
Jan 9, 2004
328
0
0
#11
Drudkh said:
can also go halland village for lunch or dinner. show them one of the oldest hawker centre in singapore and try the food there. esp "hum chee peng, you cha kuay, etc" :)
wah dun make me hungry now leh *slurp*... maybe time for supper liao ;p
 

Drudkh

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2004
6,129
0
0
lulu island
#12
well still got many places singaporeans will go, like bugis, sim lim square, then can hop over to the flea market on weekends, they will be interested to see all kinds of junk for sale. haha...
 

lumen

New Member
Jan 9, 2004
328
0
0
#13
Drudkh said:
well still got many places singaporeans will go, like bugis, sim lim square, then can hop over to the flea market on weekends, they will be interested to see all kinds of junk for sale. haha...
maybe bring them for the minolta gathering also har har :)
 

Drudkh

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2004
6,129
0
0
lulu island
#14
lumen said:
maybe bring them for the minolta gathering also har har :)
sure, if your friends won't find it boring. ;p
are they photogs too? wednesday can go SEED also.. haha...
check out if there's any events or performances, can bring them to watch also.
 

Leongfm

New Member
Feb 12, 2003
201
0
0
www.pbase.com
#15
I think you should bring them to the Mustafah Department Store in Little India. It is one of the most unique dept stores in Singapore...you can get almost everything there and the prices are quire reasonable. Even if your friends do not shop it is still worthwhile to bring them there to experience the seemingly chaotic but surprisely well organised store. Everytime I go there I discouver new things. The best thing is it is opened 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

There are also a lot of good eating places around there.
 

lumen

New Member
Jan 9, 2004
328
0
0
#16
Drudkh said:
sure, if your friends won't find it boring. ;p
are they photogs too? wednesday can go SEED also.. haha...
check out if there's any events or performances, can bring them to watch also.
actually my two friends are japanese girls... think i shld organize a photo shoot for you guys instead! ;p

ok now now... $50 per photographer!

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

.... ok joking lah... think my friends would slaughter me if i really do it! ;p
 

lumen

New Member
Jan 9, 2004
328
0
0
#17
Leongfm said:
I think you should bring them to the Mustafah Department Store in Little India. It is one of the most unique dept stores in Singapore...you can get almost everything there and the prices are quire reasonable. Even if your friends do not shop it is still worthwhile to bring them there to experience the seemingly chaotic but surprisely well organised store. Everytime I go there I discouver new things. The best thing is it is opened 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

There are also a lot of good eating places around there.
pssst... actually hor i haven't been to mustafah before ;p maybe it'll be a experience for all of us
 

Yildun

New Member
Aug 2, 2004
181
0
0
Singapore, Central
#18
hmm, was going to ask u where they come from.

i have brought a japanese fren around b4.

most japanese like to see/experience things with a local favor. they would most probably have heard of sentosa b4, but probably wont enjoy the experience as much as little india and chinatown.

if she like spicy food, bring her to a nice indian restaurant in little india. a walk to mustafa is fine.

bring her to the guan yin temple at bugis and tell her its the most famous chinese temple in singapore.

then make a trip to chinatown, now is especially a good time with all the cny bazaar. lots of food there also. ask her to try bah kua and pork floss. if she like, can bring back to japan.

evening program i leave it to u, make her mabo
 

GDSNP

New Member
Dec 17, 2003
513
0
0
39
Australia
www.flickr.com
#19
showed my jap friend around singapore and she likes
1. little india
2. pulau ubin
3. kelong
4. arts performances
5. museums
6. sungei buloh

by the way, the first thing my friend said when she saw the sentosa beach is "looks so fake!!!". bring them to a kelong to relax for a couple of days. its relaxing and they dont have kelongs in japan...
 

obviousdude

Senior Member
Oct 14, 2003
1,439
0
0
West Coast of sunny Singapore
#20
well... you may say that it's nothing special, it's just like a zoo, they have those everywhere.

but i assure you, the experience is different. primarily because of the dark. it's quire a feeling to go around and see animals at night. the cool air, the dim lighting.

and a night safari/zoo is not quite as common as a regular zoo
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom