Where got good photo opportunities at KTM Rail line

shelomoh

Mar 17, 2009
As we all know the KTM rail line is still open for public until next Sunday. So can anyone suggest where to walk and what to take? I won't be walking the whole line but am not familiar with the place.

As we all know the KTM rail line is still open for public until next Sunday. So can anyone suggest where to walk and what to take? I won't be walking the whole line but am not familiar with the place.

You can try walking from Rail Mall ( bridge ) to the Bukit Timah Railway Station.

Searching the forum will give you plenty of results. It's not that people only now step on the track. And we don't know your preferences either. In terms of nature and serene spots, the area between Bukit Timah station and Buona Vista has something to offer.
All spots that are easily accessible (Bukit Merah station, the bridge near Rail Mall) will be packed on weekend. But just a few hundreds meters further down it's quiet again, though not free of people.

Last edited:
if you know where king albert park is, there's an entrance there that you can take.. but.. it's going to be crowded with people no matter where you go. so don't think you'll be able to get anything other than random people vs the background. :D unless you're shooting macro there.. maybe you can see some crickets! :D

Good luck! The whole line is filled with people. Practically impossible to shoot without getting somebody in your frame. Maybe you can try weekdays when most are at work or in school and assuming you are not.

I went on sat, walked from king Albert park to rail mall. The whole place is overcrowded almost like a tourist attraction, it's quite impossible to frame a shot w/o pple in it. Ended up I shot butterflies n dragonflies mostly.
Do wear gd trekking shoes n bring lotsa water ^^

Good luck! The whole line is filled with people. Practically impossible to shoot without getting somebody in your frame. Maybe you can try weekdays when most are at work or in school and assuming you are not.

No problem for me if there are people, i can shoot them as well :bsmilie:

Wow, can finish the whole thing in one day? Probably not? Maybe 2?

2 or more days would allow for slower exploration, without the rush. More opportunities to shoot during the golden hours if you wish to :)

Teufelhunden said:
2 or more days would allow for slower exploration, without the rush. More opportunities to shoot during the golden hours if you wish to :)

I can see that there are really the whole stretch to do it. Which do you think is more worthwhile exploring? I haven done anything like that before but I thought the rail mall area would be good, if not then the cck area? What do you guys think? Which would you choose?

if the question is when got good opportunity, it will probably be sometime near the beginning of the year when there is much less crowd and the train is still operating.
one of the obvious thing to check out are the railway crossings like the bridges.

Wow, can finish the whole thing in one day? Probably not? Maybe 2?

Yes the entire length from Tg Pagar to Woodlands can be done in one day. My friends and I started from 8am at Tg Pagar and finished 5.30pm at Woodlands. The time could be shorter if not for the frequent stops we took for taking pictures, 1 hour lunch break at Rail Mall, and many small stops to cool down under the shades in the afternoon as the temperature was at a scorching 34 deg C. The nicest and most shaded stretch is from Bt. Timah to Bt. Panjang. From Bt. Panjang onwards there are very little shades and the afternoon heat can really be a big challenge. Furthermore the sceneries are not that nice.

Other interesting stretch would be from Tg Pagar to Buona Vista. Here you'll pass by the largest flyover crossing above the rail, with the entire length close to 200m. This is the Portsdown Ave flyover linking Queensway to AYE.

if the question is when got good opportunity, it will probably be sometime near the beginning of the year when there is much less crowd and the train is still operating.
one of the obvious thing to check out are the railway crossings like the bridges.

It is actually illegal to walk on/along the railway before the handover when the trains were still operating. This is because it is not only dangerous but frequent human traffic on the gravel would actually cause them to slide away and damage the track's foundation.

Thanks all for the information. I do know about a lot of people now but it's not like they will keep it open to public forever. I was planning from King Albert Park in the direction to Buona Vista and maybe further down to near Bukit Merah. But is the opposite direction towards Rail Mall better? Never been there before.

Hi I'm a newbies in Photography,
I would like to go to the KTM railway to do photo shoot.
Can I join anyone of u to go together.

Ktm will be permanently closed to the public 17th July.

Just FYI. :)

bonrya said:
Ktm will be permanently closed to the public 17th July.

Just FYI. :)

Any idea why?

gohjialong said:
Any idea why?

It's state land now and they are making an exception by allowing you to walk along the tracks. So we should be somewhat grateful we still have time to go and appreciate the monument one last time. :)