where Flowers bloom so does Hope

benedetto13

Nov 23, 2007
Bukit Batok
www.flickr.com
Hi, I think this is my first time posting on Critique Corner but definitely, don't hold back on your precious comments and opinions!

4442071707_a8f67f7c8b.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
need of vignetting, composition, how to improve on background and overall feel of this photo

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
maximum sharpness with kit lens, colours of the flower

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
unfortunately it was sunny when i took out my gears to take this but it suddenly started get dark and rained. by the way, this is at my corridor. new plant that my dad brought back. took only few days to see it bloom.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i feel i got the sharpness there, clearly showing the outstanding colours of the plant from the dull background. But i was thinking maybe another background would be better? maybe like a brighter healthier green? I was really happy when i saw this shot.

Mod: You're linking to a flickr page instead to the image itself. To do that you need to go to the Flickr page and then right click on the image to get the URL of the image you want to post.

Last edited:
everything's really fine. sharpness and colours, you captured a beautiful flower well. But how about composing in the rule of thirds, for one?

everything's really fine. sharpness and colours, you captured a beautiful flower well. But how about composing in the rule of thirds, for one?

hey foxtwo, yeah i took that into consideration but the background was really just dirty dark roots and water. what could i have done if i were to apply the rule of thirds? thats why i thought maybe putting all the attention on the flower bloom would be good. and really appreciate you for taking a look and giving your opinions!

i shot a similar picture (if you are interested look through my flickr) ...

I though a square frame would be more interesting...

everything else is really fine though... pretty flower ;)

keep shooting

hey foxtwo, yeah i took that into consideration but the background was really just dirty dark roots and water. what could i have done if i were to apply the rule of thirds? thats why i thought maybe putting all the attention on the flower bloom would be good. and really appreciate you for taking a look and giving your opinions!

Try changing your angle, or zoom in tighter. if background is too unappealing then troubleshoot lor... lol. pick up some fallen leaves or something and arrange them in the background, the DOF should ensure they're un-identifiable and colour-wise complimentary not clashing or attention seeking.

i shot a similar picture (if you are interested look through my flickr) ...

I though a square frame would be more interesting...

everything else is really fine though... pretty flower ;)

keep shooting

ah yours are really niceeeee not just flowers, yeah i get what you mean by square frame;)

and thanks! hope to learn from your shots more

Try changing your angle, or zoom in tighter. if background is too unappealing then troubleshoot lor... lol. pick up some fallen leaves or something and arrange them in the background, the DOF should ensure they're un-identifiable and colour-wise complimentary not clashing or attention seeking.

i have another angle which is quite nice(haha! to me) but just that the sharpness of this shot got me. yeah! why didn't i think of that! i'll try again if its still there:D not a good day to try today since it's raining haha

square frame will looks better...
Is it me, I thought the colour could be more punchy or more de-saturated....
Or it is time for me to upgrade my LCD? :bsmilie:

square frame will looks better...
Is it me, I thought the colour could be more punchy or more de-saturated....
Or it is time for me to upgrade my LCD? :bsmilie:

serious?? haha i hope its time for you to upgrade your lcd;p but really curious, is it true for other people?? appreciate you commenting too!:D

The flower would stand out if given a little more warmer and color saturation.

Shooting from top rarely gives u much options in term of composition. I think a square format looks best in this case.

Nah i think it looks ok...

thanks!:D

The flower would stand out if given a little more warmer and color saturation.

Shooting from top rarely gives u much options in term of composition. I think a square format looks best in this case.

i'll try another angle when i see another blooms again;) and give it more warm and colour saturation a try. Because i feel sometimes too much saturation will make the photo look fake. haha

I can't see the surrounding but I think I can understand what you mean.

Most of the pretty flowers seem to blossom in the lousiest of places here in Singapore and "finding a different angle" etc can be real difficult.

What you may want to try is to shoot with a longer lens instead to compress the background. It might give you more possible angles without too much of the messy background etc.