Where do you learn most about Photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moodyfly

Jun 25, 2008
Hey guys, i came across a webpage asking this question and i am wondering what's CSers' answer gonna be.

here goes the question:

Where do you Learn most about Digital Photography?

If your answer is ‘books’ or ‘magazines’ or ‘courses’ or ‘websites’ - please be specific - which ones have been most helpful to you and why?

LET'S SHARE~~ :D

from photography itself, i.e. the act of taking photographs

of course one has to start off by reading or learning, whether it is from books, or magazines, or courses or websites, but theory is no use without the practical.

Started with some magazines (Practical Photography) and books (can't recall name).

Then keep practising..

sometime i start from reading books n magazines n internet... and go shooting.

sometime i go shooting and when i didn't achieve what i want, i go back to books, magazines, internet to find out if there is anything wrong with my techniques

Several sources, but ranking 'em from most significant and then downwards:

1. Taking pictures + MUST making notes of how/where/when it was taken. EXIF data helps loads.

2. Reading forums, surfing for information, properly written guides and articles online.

3. Borrowing / buying books to read.:)

For me I learn half from reading internet articles and magazines and another half from shooting..

read--->fiddle with camare-----> shoot ----> take note what went wrrong

or most useful in my opinion, find a person who is much better thn you who is willing to put up with the noob questions.

and AAA

ask.....ask.......ask:D

but of course, google is always your best friend.Ken rockwell was quite useful to me, entertaining as well:)

Ken Rockwell is a funny man, heehee.
I like master ken rockwell too....

learn about paying $$$ for lens and camera from our dear CS. :bsmilie: :devil:

here lor.. lol.. this is the place where people give honest comments about the shoot as well as giving tips about how to go about and sometimes giving link to answer your question.. and you get to know the latest pricing of the lens so you won't get chop in the shop..

so.. kudos to clubsnap

From pictures I see everyday. Since I picked up photography in Dec, I've had this weird habit of analysing each and every picture that I see, be it in photobooks, the internet, magazines etc. I even analysed the 'photographic' aspect of my Sec School English Prelim oral picture.. which I think made me score a bit more marks cos the invigilator was really interested.

I learnt from magazine book and internet and shooting. The most is definitely shooting. Trial and error.

trial and error...

then with frens..

then from books...

then from other people's photos..

then look within myself

From CS of course...

from friends and CS of course :)

CS is one of the worst place to learn photography in my opinon.

Limits freedom, creativity and thinking

Only conventional styles are accepted, traditional methods are used and barriers for new entrants.

There is no place to learn about it, the best way is by observation, thinking out of the box, exploring different styles and concepts... to be different from the rest...

If not, you are just another ordinary-replaceable-dispensable asset, not a talent.

From friends and "tan jia" photographers who are willing to share.

For me, majority of it was from CS! From this forum, read how people take photos, techniques they use, you post pics for people to critque, join in the outings they organise... practically you can find everything in this forum! :thumbsup:

There is no place to learn about it, the best way is by observation, thinking out of the box, exploring different styles and concepts... to be different from the rest...

If not, you are just another ordinary-replaceable-dispensable asset, not a talent.

as always, i wonder if we end up being stuck in another box when trying too hard to be different.

the common example of trying too hard here also applies. i insist that if non-conventional methods are used, and they WORK, no one will call them nonconventional. otherwise you have just fallen into another box and trapped yourself with another sort of mindset which is just as bad, if not as bad as rigid uniformity and adherence to classical rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.