Where do you guys invest your money?

Investing is where you put money in with the aim of a constant rate of return

Trading is where you buy/sell one price sell/buy another price for capital appreciation aka profit

best advise above ..... a golden rule "When everyone buying...I sell.... When nobody wants to touch it, I want it"

heheheh ooops didn't stop to think about the actual definition.
Could it be classified as share trading as a means of investing one's money? ;)

Don't.

Invest is quite a dirty word.

Ask the people who bought mini-bonds.

"Invest" is the trap + trick for all types of con men to cheat you out of large amounts of money and get away with the crime. Much better than using a knife to rob you.

Many blur and innocent people have lost vast amounts of money after being egged on to "invest" in all kinds of scams. One favourite scam is to con them to open a restaurant.
The victim is bled white. Super high rentals, salaries of staff, perishable food stock, renovations, pilfering by the cooks of expensive food items like abalones, directors' fees, consultant fees, siphoning of day's takings by staff, etc....

Victim put in $$$$$, after some time conman will say the business "lost money".
Robbing someone with a knife is a crime and one can get jail and caning for that.
Business losing money is not a crime. Scammers get away with it.

Sounds like you / someone close to you got burned. Of course I don't want to go in to business, but don't think it is a good idea to let my money sit in the bank and earn close to nothing.

Have you guys heard of exchange traded funds? I did some reading after my friends recommended me. Both ETFs and bluechips seems like good investment choices. Just would like to hear your thoughts.

I got into shares right at the bottom of the financial crisis, so far the returns have quite alright. If you are not sure where to start, just go with the 30 STI component companies.

Invest only when you really know what you're doing, else it's better to stay away and put your money elsewhere
Do plenty of research if you decide to invest so you know how it works, what factors can affect your gains or losses, etc

Last edited:
No offence, not trying to dampen spirits or what.

This kind of question is like : I've got a 7D, and xxx lens. I intend to shoot my friend's wedding and intend to rent xx lens and body and flash. Pls give recommendations.

At this juncture probably you won't really screw up very badly, but who knows....

You are about 1.5 years late for equities. That was like gambling, but I don't see much casualties. I got in in end April and came out in Nov. Earning 300% then is pretty easy even for noobs.

Sounds like you / someone close to you got burned. Of course I don't want to go in to business, but don't think it is a good idea to let my money sit in the bank and earn close to nothing.

Me?
Ha..Ha...
Too poor to interest the con men. They got fatter, richer victims to target.

There was a former neighbour many years my senior who married a very rich guy.
He died, leaving her vast amounts of money.

Well, you know con men, they are like sharks. They smell blood. Have you seen sharks in a feeding frenzy? Con man A is afraid of Con men B, C, D, E, F....to Z getting to the victim before him. They want rush in to scalp the victim first.

Con men have very thick skin and though they don't know you from Adam, or only met you once but never contacted you for the past 20 years, the moment they hear that you are into big money, they will find their way to you. With flattery, fake friendship, obsequiousness --- and plenty of "investment" ideas.

But when they have bled you dry and you got no more money, then con men have another special trait. Like a snake, they can suddenly turn very cold blooded and don't know you anymore. Because you are of no more use to them. They have to move on and find other victims.

Oh, by the way, we on CS are also acutely aware that forums and special interest groups like photo hobbyists, angling hobbyists, motoring hobbyists are often targeted by con men who join not for the hobby. But with an ulterior motive to get to know you and then seed their "investment" ideas.

YES, we are aware.

Last edited: