Where do you buy your music albums from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stereobox

Dec 21, 2003
Cocteau Twins
This thread is for all music lovers in Clubsnap..yes, you!

Despite the recent trend and convenience of buying music 'online' and downloading them to your computer, i still find myself shopping around for music in record stores.

why?

it's hard to explain. i guess i've always been buying my music albums from stores since young, from the days of scrimping my pocket money just to buy a cassette tape (sorry, the time of vinyl records and 8-tracks was before me:bsmilie: )

later, i slowly progressed to buying more 'expensive' records on vinyl and cd. i've always enjoyed picking up a record and looking at the album art.. noting down the name of the artiste or band if i come across something unfamiliar. the joy of hunting down a particular album (i rarely engage the service of the staff)

i guess the 'buying' part adds to the music experience.

am i weird?

please discuss whatever you see fit to the thread. but please refrain from talk about 'the benefits of downloading/buying pirated materials'

I don't own any mp3 players, and I'm still sticking with my favourite discman or hi-fi system to listen to all of my CD collections. MP3 sounds still can't beat the quality of a CD. I agree that there is this joy of browsing and buying CD at the record shop. Original music album is still the best:thumbsup: No parallel imports or pirated for me. Downloading...oh my gosh:nono:

i have never enjoyed 'music-on-the-go'. i have portable music players, but i still prefer listening to music at home, live or playing it myself.

Well, listening at home with the right setup will make listening music a great and relaxing experience. But we don't always have the time to relax and just listen to music at home. Listening to my discman is just my way of relaxing and keeping myself occupied while travelling. Despite the popularity of MP3 players, I still prefer to listen to my discman with my relatively bulky headphone.

I'll usually limit myself to buying 2-3 CD albums a month to control my budget. I prefer to get them from Sembawang or MJ, while occasionally I'll buy from HMV or Gramaphone.

me too...i can really splurge on cds in one go. not to mention dvds.

what kind of music do you listen to, kel? i patronise the places you go to, too!

contrary to popular belief, my nick is not related to being an audiophile. instead, i can say its more related to the band Stereolab.

Yeah.... CDs and DVDs, these are some my biggest expenses. Especially since I always insist on getting original, best quality mah!

My taste in music is quite varied. I listen to songs ranging from english/chinese/japanese pop, techno, trance, jazz, R&B, classical and orchestra soundtracks. So each month I'll try to get different genre of music. But I tend to be more of a basshead, thats why I don't like MP3, the bass can never be shiok enough. The only thing I can't really stand is rap.

So Stereobox, do you like to listen to your music loud or soft?

are we the only two original-music-records-buyers here in clubsnap? :bsmilie:

i agree..when i buy music, i insist on originals. there's no way i'm going to buy a cd with lousy printing on it, with a lousy paper backing that comes in a thin, plastic wrapper.

given a choice, i would buy vinyl records...but my player is spoilt (sent it for repair and never got it back..long story) cds are the next best thing.

i would say i prefer to listen to my music moderate-to-loud, depending on the music. soft is only when i do not wish to disturb anyone.

i really hate that numa-numa song :bsmilie:

but hey, i have nothing against electronica. my tastes run the gamut from hardcore, gabba, rave, to goa, downtempo,triphop (gosh..does it still exist?)

currently, im listening to a lot of adult contemporary country music. and i (try to) play the blues with another friend occasionally.

Wow, vinyl..... thats pretty rare nowaday. I know there are few shops selling vinyl records, but it looks more like collector items to me :bsmilie:

You'll need a pretty good amp and turntable to bring out the best sound from a vinyl, isn't it??

i really missed MPH :cry: great selection at great prices

mm..and the huge Tower Records at Pacific Plaza

oh, is Chua Joo Huat still ard? :bsmilie: suddenly remember about it

and oh, missed Dada and Roxy as well

Stereobox said:

Used to buy from them and Supreme Records. I think Dada gone already. They used to have a very wide collection of imported CDs that is packaged a tall cardboard box in their old Funan store. Roxy i think is still around or shifted to Adelphi. Chua Joo Huat no idea man, seldom buy forom them. I think still at Far East?

Now its Gramophone, MJ and Sembawang.

CD Rama n cd shops at Chinatown. :)

Stereobox said:

chua joo huat is gone liao, used to be in marina sq but the lady boss always treated us like theives, only the staff and the bosses are great. The far east one is gone too...

i buy my stuff from gramaphone nowadays.

the reason i missed places like cjh,dada,roxy,tower records is because they really stock an eclectic collection of music..anything from local demo tapes, to independent labels from obscure scandavanian countries, to some really strange heavy metal. i enjoyed browsing thru the records collection (both contemporary and vintage) and i enjoyed picking up strange unknown artistes and discovering their music (i discovered a favorite college rock band of mine, The Blake Babies, this way)

now, i feel browsing tru music shops like music junction and sembawang is like listening to the radio .. safe, sanitised music that are proven to sell.

on that topic...are there any 'hidden' music havens to shop in singapore?

Well, my opinion is the same as kelccm. I have always listed to CD all the while. I then tried out listening to mp3 last year because of the craze. Downloading, uploading, deleting, etc. - you know the drill. (limited to 256 Mb - the size of my mp3 player) Soon after that (about 2 months), I got tired of the drill and the sound is not up to par. I ditched my mp3 player and got an iRiver portable CD player (which can also play mp3 burned on CDs - but never used that option).

Now, I am 'full time' CD listener. 90% of my CDs are bought at Sembawang. The rest are from HMV or MJ. I patronized Tower only twice! My latest purchase last week was ABBA CD + DVD collection (for my parents) and Enya's 'Amarantine'. 'Amarantine' is typically Enya. So if you like her, go buy it.

Stereobox said:
later, i slowly progressed to buying more 'expensive' records on vinyl and cd. i've always enjoyed picking up a record and looking at the album art.. noting down the name of the artiste or band if i come across something unfamiliar. the joy of hunting down a particular album (i rarely engage the service of the staff)

you still into audiophile discs? have you heard the new LPCD33/45 discs from Hugo? Terribly damn good, and your system better be up to it too. anyway any one know where got sell Hugo CDs hah?

hwchoy said:
you still into audiophile discs? have you heard the new LPCD33/45 discs from Hugo? Terribly damn good, and your system better be up to it too. anyway any one know where got sell Hugo CDs hah?

lol, i was never into audiophile cds!

when i said more 'expensive' records n cds .. i just meant, compared to cassette tapes, they are more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.