Where do you buy your music albums from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
kelccm said:
Anyone into SACD or DVDAudio??

actually..i'm interested to know too~

sacds need a special player? what's dvd audio?

I buy my CDs from Rhapsody Remixed, third floor of Holland V Shopping Centre. It's a small music store run by a cool guy called Alvin. He gets to know what you're into and then makes excellent recommendations. Check it out.

Stereobox said:
actually..i'm interested to know too~

sacds need a special player? what's dvd audio?

SACD and DVDAudio are just 2 different formats of multichannel music, supported by different companies. Our normal CD is in stereo, while SACD and DVDAudio are recorded in 5.1 sound. So basically you'll get true surround music when played with compatible player and speakers. You'll still be able to play most SACD on a normal CD player, but you'll only get 2 channels sound. I have a couple of SACD, and the music is more shiok:thumbsup: than normal.

SACD doesn't have to be in multi-channel (such as 5.1). SACD simply uses a different encoding technique from conventional CD and DVD-A. You can put 2-channel stereo and any multi-channel format (5.1, quadraphonic, probably future 6.1 or 7.1 formats even).

the key is the SACD encoding technique which is a 1-bit stream (DSD) sampled at 2.8MHz.

and only CD/SACD hybrids can be played on CD players. the disc bascially comprises one layer encoded in SACD and another layer in conventional CD.

lasttime during download era i got all the songs i wanted

nowadays the songs are mostly rubbish

except for jazz and instrumental and a rare few others

i keep my songs total size to no more than 3 gb so that its easier to evacuate in event of computer breakdown

I get my albums from Gramaphone. They've got several that I can't find anywhere else. Like Frou Frou and Imogen Heap. The good thing about these pressed CDs is the fact that last long. My Carpenters CD I got in 1985 still sounds awesome on my Hi Fi.

a cd from 1985? ow wow!! :eek: i just realised that they have been around for so long already!

speaking of which...

do you find vintage 'pop' records sounds harsh on CD? i'm listening to a greatest hits compilation CD of the Thirteenth Floor Elevators now, and the music just sounds dry.

or maybe i just got a badly remastered CD?

Stereobox said:
speaking of which...

do you find vintage 'pop' records sounds harsh on CD? i'm listening to a greatest hits compilation CD of the Thirteenth Floor Elevators now, and the music just sounds dry.

or maybe i just got a badly remastered CD?

during the recent hifi show, Hugo (the HK audiophile label, but the boss is actually Singaporean) demonstrated the difference between pressing #1 (first CD off the master) and #5001. the effect is stunning. in some markets people actually pay an astronomical price for a used, early pressing disc (of course have to be audiophile CD to begin with lah).

the problem with later pressing is that even though the data is digital, the pressing itself (mould with pits) is analog and will degrade with use. when played, these later pressings will have much more data error which will activate the players error correction and recovery circuit, which causes significant signal degradation.

hwchoy said:
during the recent hifi show, Hugo (the HK audiophile label, but the boss is actually Singaporean) demonstrated the difference between pressing #1 (first CD off the master) and #5001. the effect is stunning. in some markets people actually pay an astronomical price for a used, early pressing disc (of course have to be audiophile CD to begin with lah).

the problem with later pressing is that even though the data is digital, the pressing itself (mould with pits) is analog and will degrade with use. when played, these later pressings will have much more data error which will activate the players error correction and recovery circuit, which causes significant signal degradation.

Wow. So the moral of the story is to buy any new album when they are 1st released.:bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Buy while still hot!!

i learnt that every cd WILL have data error/loss..just a matter of how much before it starts to cause problem.

hmm..so any idea if CDs as we know it will be replaced by new technology?

i don't think i have the money to upgrade new hardware after buying so much CDs :sweat:

I buy quite a lot of CDs from Amazon.com. The problem is what i listen to doesn't sell in "normal" cd shops. And the 3 shops that I've found that do sell them (1 in Queensway SC, 1 in Peninsular SC, 1 at Beach Road Market) typically price them at S$30-35.

Can anyone guess what kind of music I'm refering to?

Status
Not open for further replies.