where do you all get your pics hosted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavinjung

Mar 18, 2003
Visit site
just looking for a place to upload my pics so i can post a few here. the less hassle the better. any recommendations?

GJ

Originally posted by gavinjung
just looking for a place to upload my pics so i can post a few here. the less hassle the better. any recommendations?

GJ

on by own comp.
Singnet BB, with dynamic DNS updated by a client SW.
do it once and it work every time

how do u do it? :p

first you need a software running on you comp to provide the HTTP and/or FTP service.
I use microsoft IIS (internet information service) which is build-in in windows2000/win XP Pro edition or above.
Just with that everyone can reach your server if they know your IP address (eg. 215.21.152.19)

Normally ppl are easier to remember domain names like www.yourname.com instead of the unhuman IP address.
servers with static IP can register for a domain and the DNS (domain name service) servers on the internet will translate www.yourname.com that your client has typed in the address bar in IE to your IP address.

The problem with unlimited home BB is that you don't get a static IP. Even if you stay connected for months (which I do) your assigned IP will automatically be changed every few hours (so called dynamic IP), that's why you need to use the FREE dynamic DNS service. What the service does is that It provide DNS service which can respond within about 1 minute when you report your refreshed IP. But still you must constantly check for changes in your IP and update it to the Dynamic DNS server every time when it is refreshed, which is impossible in practice.

For that there are small free client softwares that will do the checking and reporting for you automatically. The one I use is Direct Update, with frequency set to 1 min.

To register for a domain like www.yourname.com you need to pay a registration fee. But if you can settle for a subdomain like WWW.yourname.xyz.com it will be free. So if you don't mind your homepage address to be e.g. www.ahboy.kickass.com it will be free. This is what I did and my subdomain is www.zf.homelinux.com

So in the end everything is free.

For Singnet BB 256 the upload speed in 128Kbps or abt 50MB/hr
For Singnet BB 512 the upload speed in 256Kbps or abt 100MB/hr
For SCV cable the upload speed in abt 128Kbps or abt 50MB/hr
For 56K V90 the upload speed in 33.6Kbps or abt 12MB/hr
the Kbps are theoretical speed while the MB/hr are realworld speed

So how to find and setup the client software and where to sign up for the DynDNS and subdomain?
http://www.dyndns.org/
everything can be found here.
Dynamic DNS is a movement like open source AFAIK.

the limitations of it is:
1. limited bandwidth that can only serve 1 or few client at once.
2. If you normally don't on your comp 24X7 the power bill will cost you a bit. (My comp is also a router that offer internet connection shareing so it has to be on anyway. further more my monitor and HDD is set to auto off after a while, and I underclock my CPU on the run with SOFTFSB when my comp is just "serving")
3. since your comp is online 24X7, firewall setup to protect your system is a MUST.
4. the build in IIS in winXP/2000 is limited to 5 client at a time max.
5. every few hour when your IP is refreshed the client software and DNS server together will take about 1-3 minute to work, within these minutes your domain is unaccessible unless it is on the proxy server.

If you are someone like me who don't have great photos that hundread of ppl will view in an hour this DynDNS is a very good thing. Setting up takes some time but once setup it.

looks like more than 5 person is trying to assess my homepage now.
So you may need to refresh if my server is busy.
This don't happens often, since my photos are not that fantestic

Status
Not open for further replies.