Where do Professional Photographers come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blowblue

Jan 20, 2007
Just wondering, how do you guys (professional photographers) become one?

did you guys
1) go to a professional photography school
2) go practice as an apprentice
3) learn it as a hobby and then jump in...swim or sink??
4) others???

I went to photography school in the US many, many years ago and graduated with Master of Fine Arts in Photography. I am still pretty much an old school.

I only graduated with a BFA, thought of doing my MFA, but I figured getting some practical experience and found a job working for a commercial photographer. Once I started working I didn't realy feel like going back to school.

My mentor was old school, he graduated from Art Center College of Design when it was in downtown LA. Now that's old school.

I went to photography school in the US many, many years ago and graduated with Master of Fine Arts in Photography. I am still pretty much an old school.

I only graduated with a BFA, thought of doing my MFA, but I figured getting some practical experience and found a job working for a commercial photographer. Once I started working I didn't realy feel like going back to school.

My mentor was old school, he graduated from Art Center College of Design when it was in downtown LA. Now that's old school.

Do you guys know a good old school to recommend in Asia?

Do you guys know a good old school to recommend in Asia?

Nihon University
Department of Photography, College of Arts
Japan
2-42-1, Asahigaoka, Nerima-ku
Tokyo 176-8525
Tel: (03) 5995-8210

You will learn the most basic skills such as darkroom techniques, Zone System, etc.

we come from photography planet! our spaceship crashed into earth atmosphere during a rountine space photography mission.

seriously, i got a business degree but fell in love with photography. started assisting since 2001 and never look back since.

I am asking cuz I am looking at the possibility of applying for a photography school. Which other schools do you guys enroll in? Anyone from European or American school?

study business first

pick up photography along the way
assist a commercial photographer to build network of contacts
build a good reputation along the way

mix with the right ppl

study business first

mix with the right ppl

:thumbsup:

So I guess most of the professional photographers in Singapore have learned their skills from their apprenticeship instead of being with the old school (attending professional photography programs in school)?

study business first

mix with the right ppl

:thumbsup:

Darn, I put the cart before the horse!!! ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.