Where do I sell lens if B&S doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
Mine Sigma 135-400 has been there for a long time, but nobody buy leh. :cry:
What means can I do to sell it at a reasonable price? ;p I guess I will sell my
EF 28-135 IS in other place also. ;p
:rolleyes: I need to raise $ for a 400mm F/5.6L or 300 F/4L IS.

dRebelXT said:

go sell to 2nd hand shops lor...

dRebelXT said:

Means your asking price is too high :bsmilie:

usual suspects like yahoo auctions, ebay, other local forums?

There are many local forums with photographers in it they are mostly nature forums.

Klose said:
actually i agree with Klose... it means your item is priced too high or its not in demand at all. from experience, if you can't sell it here at your 'ideal' price, the 2nd hand shops will be much worse. you're better off lowering your price here than bring to the shops... that's always the last resort cos they will seriously 'chop' your price or refuse to take it at all.

You will be shocked by the prices that 2nd hand shops offer.. You're better off lowering your price here..

dRebelXT said:

Klose said:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dRebelXT said:

get a quote from one of the shops and then post it with slight mark up lor

i got bitten when i tried to sell off my sigma 28-70 ex too many years ago.

certain brands/equipment don't have very high demand and suffer from really poor re-sale prices from brand new, even if they are as good as new!

slash half price still cannot move. i sold it to a friend for a paltry nominal sum in the end sianz!

regards,
inf1d3l

Buy what you need, if you plan to sell it, you won't be needing it. And if you had a need for it, you would have used it, and when you sell it, half the price will be just right, even for mint condition.

My rant: in Clubsnap, buy price too low, sell price too high. I'll say, any second hand item should be about 30% to 70% of new price.

:thumbsup:

yowch said:
Buy what you need, if you plan to sell it, you won't be needing it. And if you had a need for it, you would have used it, and when you sell it, half the price will be just right, even for mint condition.

My rant: in Clubsnap, buy price too low, sell price too high. I'll say, any second hand item should be about 30% to 70% of new price.

From my observation, only L lens grab resale values higher than 90%. Other
3rd party stuff frequently have very low %.

dRebelXT said:
From my observation, only L lens grab resale values higher than 90%. Other
3rd party stuff frequently have very low %.
I wonder where you made your strange observation. :)
think you haven't been observing the right things.
Close to brand new L lenses, yesh 90%. Let me point you to a case of a prominent CS member, who took close to 5 mths to sell a L lens at 80% (when he finally reduced his price), while the same lens was zipping in and out of other people's hands at 70% of the new price.
I think it's because of your warped observation, you are setting warped prices maybe? Sad to point out some more, your lens is not exactly one of the most sought after focal lengths around too..

Agree with Unseen, for "Hot" lenses you may get close to 80% of new price and that will depend also on condition. Some Lens are so hot that it will be sold in couple of minutes. I had a few occassion whereby I responded imediately via PM at the seller RP but still unable to get it.

Then there are cases where the more "trusted" seller will sell their Gears faster. When I put up a WTB tread last month, it took almost 1 month to get a response because no-one was willing to let go of their Lense. finally there were 3 offers. I took the offer from a nice seller whom I had dealt with before.

To get good response your track record must be good. I personally have avoided a few sellers no matter how good their offer is due to either no response, not good pricing etc. Even if you are not willing to accept an offer, please let the seller/buyer know. Best is with your reason. I always reject offers which do not meet my budget and I make it a point to let the seller know. sometimes, they may counter offer and give you a better price. Hard bargaining is not my style.

For your info. the sigma 135-400 is not a really sought after lense so the resale value may not be that high. L lense have higher resale value because they are usually more popular.

Maybe just be patient. There may be someone out there looking for it but had not come into CS or may be in but didnt look in B&S.

Good luck to you.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.