Where did you picked up Photography?

Where did you picked up Photography?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... lookz like we've got some natural born talents around! ;)

forced to pick up a camera at art school, never looked back.
So I cannot vote, not enough options.

Basic photography taught by great master (teacher) the rest is self taught.
Back then no such thing as club snap.

ortega said:
forced to pick up a camera at art school, never looked back.
So I cannot vote, not enough options.

Basic photography taught by great master (teacher) the rest is self taught.
Back then no such thing as club snap.

haha....yes it's true! Jane is a good teacher.

You are a natural talent in photography. I have seen some of your work way way back in the school daze.....

You should choose option 4 :sticktong

My inspiration was the copies after copies of Playboy, Penthouse.....composition, lighting and Imho?

Honestly, it is my father....who got me started :bsmilie:

Pro Image said:
haha....yes it's true! Jane is a good teacher.

You are a natural talent in photography. I have seen some of your work way way back in the school daze.....

You should choose option 4 :sticktong

Way way way back when policemen wore shorts :)
It was John Ang Choon Leng that was a real talent,
he was really passionate about photography.
You remember him?

Are you refering to my sch work? Wah lau, those no standard. :embrass:
I think that it was luck that my camera likes me.
I just press the button, the camera does the work.
But darkroom was fun.

should n't the heading be 'How did you picked up photography?'?

Benign said:
My inspiration was the copies after copies of Playboy, Penthouse.....composition, lighting and Imho?

Honestly, it is my father....who got me started :bsmilie:

no wonder you stay in Melbourne..... :bsmilie:

Got interested when my best friend during my 'O' levels showed me a camera he got from his sister. It was given to her and since she was not into photography she passed it to him. It was a Rollei. Can't recall the model now but it has that pull out and twist lens. ( a real collector item I susepct these days) It was pretty impressive piece of equipment.

Anyway, that started me off shooting whenever we both went out as buddies do. I guess in a way I owed it to my childhood friend for introducing this to me though he did not have much of an interest in it himself. But he was very willing to lend me the camera so we could go shooting around when we can scrap enough money together to buy and wash a roll of film. It only just before I finish my National Service that I bought my first SLR which was a Nikon FG and first lens..a E Series 50mm F1.8. Though it was an E series lens, it was one hell of a lens. I learn alot from just using this one lens for almost 2 yrs. (NS time leh and then working for peanuts when I first came out so eating roti also still can't fully afford to buy new lens especially Nikon lens) This FG and 50mm lens is still with me though retired heh. Have always been self learning and reading alot of books and then going out to shoot whatever I
could find that interest me.

Think it was more fun back then to learn and do photography as a hobby. But now with digital cameras...times changes. I notice too many people are too lazy to learn how to use their camera even when you don't need to buy and wash film. Back then...die die...try to buy film to shoot especially important parties..etc. At the most, don't wash film first heheh...then the next moth got some money then go wash....or send in for development but then avoid picking up the photo till got money hahaha....then I got smart. I befriended one shop in particular which was looked after by a lady. SInce the boss not around most of the time, I send in for washing but will only collect them another time. But since I know her, I get to "preview" my shots first..then pick up only when have money to pay hahahah.... those were interesting times for photography.

And also if you are the photographer of any party or events...you are the popular one just by shooting them. Pretty girls you too shy to talk to come up to ask you to print for them...give their number to call them to pick up their photo..etc. heh. And when you shoot pretty nice pictures of them..it was easy to get them to be your models since you do pretty good shoot they don't think you are being cheeky with them. So I got to improve my shoot of people in the process too. Or at the very least got to take pretty girls out with you to shoot at parks and seaside. Nothing like telling your guy friends that you brought this girl or that girl to the park. haaaahhah...Those my age early 40s will know that when you say you bring a girl to the park..that means...you getting lucky man! But lo and behold...I was really truly only taking pictures and not taking advantage ( I think ) :p

These days...anyone arm with a SLRS, DSLR, PS, PDA with camera or phone with camera is a photographer heheheheh. Times have changeokay abit OT there heh..

You are really lucky. I had to sell off my bike to buy a F801s and lenses.

Yes, I was lucky to own it...but naive or too busy with other thing to use it wisely. The five years I owned the F3 with the 50mm, 200mm with Metz flash...only managed to use it twice. :embrass: My father got angry for its minimal usage, sold it to an avid photographer for a third of its purchase price.

Years later, although I some how bought a minolta9000. It was again neglected in the closet for more than a decade.....mind you the damned thing still work apart from some fogging or dust inside the viewfinder. Last year, with time and boredom....finally I picked up photography with a vengeance. From S7000Z to D70....now accumulated F2, FM, N2000 from stickers to every photography books that caught fancy.

Where and why I started photography? Maybe the sense of guilt originated from the F3 :embrass:

Hence, I have seen and think about the world in more ways than one.

hmmm....i started getting an interest when i heard tt my bunkmate was also very into photog ard jan last year.... and i tot since i more or less made up my mind about studying to become a journalist...i tot photog may be a good skill to pick up...

And so off i went on my first journey to bugis with my dad's old nikon f401 with a 50mm

in 2 months i bought an f601....

and ard aug last year i got my d70....

in between changing lens many times till i now own a set of tokina zooms and some nikkor primes... hehe...

y the interest? i tot DOF was something tt was really cool.... haha.....

cheers....

Nowadays anyone with a DSLR can be a photographer. Although the cost of film developing is neligible, it is pretty hard for newbies to break into photography as the mystery of film developing is gone and ppl juz say, "Aiyah, how difficult is photography? Juz snap loh. My one come out all sharp, not like urs, background blur only 1 part sharp. Hahaha..."

WHERE did i pick up photography..? honestly I can't recall...
WHEN did i started loving it? OMG... since the 1st day I got my hands on 1...

Think I was in primary sch, my mum bought 1 of those simple pentax point and shoot cams, I feel in love with it totally... I esp love how photos turn out and can share among friends and all, the passion didn went away...

Then came sec school, my elder brother bought a new canon eos 88, WOW! A new insight into photography! DOF, focus, shutter speed, aperture... All were so alien to me, yet intrigued me even more... Went to do my own reading and testing, develop rolls after rolls of film (and yes, spending all my miserable pocket money I had then on those). Disappointed more often when photos didn come out the way i wanted them to be, overjoyed even if 10 pics out of 2 rolls came out wonderful~ Haha

Been using my trusty eos88 for god knows how long? Just last week I finally scrimp and saved enough to buy a 10D (through installment...) and now testing out what is the difference betwen film and digital... still in the process of getting to know more abt digital, and intending to FINALLY buy an external flash (lolz!) My passion lies in outdoor (daytime) photography, so didn see much use of investing in a external flash then, and couldn really afford too.. =(

Well, thats my story... Hehe, I guess i still have much to learn, reading books and self learning is more fun for me~ But looking at how other pp take pics is a cool way to learn too!

Status
Not open for further replies.