Where did u learn abt webpage design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragos

Jan 17, 2002
Apex Circle
www.adamteo.net
Was looking thru' our members' homepage....very good!!!!!

Where did u guys learn?

For me....I learn via books in '95....haven't been updating my skills though....too lazy...

I am interested as well. Will be working on it during my sch holidays.

Ok, I missed out learning design... I guess I follow the trends and pick what's good. :p

I learn on the job. Been dabbling with HTML since 1994 or so, back when Netscape is still 0.9 and IE is nowhere to be seen. After that I have been coding HTML, JavaScript, ASP, etc on the job. You guys have it lucky nowadays, with all those DreamWeaver, FrontPage, etc. Even then, I still swear by hand coding. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
I learn on the job. Been dabbling with HTML since 1994 or so, back when Netscape is still 0.9 and IE is nowhere to be seen. After that I have been coding HTML, JavaScript, ASP, etc on the job. You guys have it lucky nowadays, with all those DreamWeaver, FrontPage, etc. Even then, I still swear by hand coding. :)

Regards
CK

Me prefer hand coding also...hehe

but when i see what those software like dreamweaver can do....hooked liao.....now learning dreamweaver..

I learn thru books+web sample.

Nowadays dun play with Design already.. more on programming side.

I started coding HTML when the only browser around was Mosaic (remember Mosaic anyone?) We didn't have tools, so we used to hard code HTML using the "vi" editor, and later emacs. There were some HTML tutorials at NCSA and some other sites.

The focus of web page design was very different those days - to present information accessible across the world in a machine independent form. Still it was amazing what people could come up with using simple tools. You could use a simple web browser like lynx or mosaic and access everything. Websites were slim and didn't hog bandwidth like they do today. *sigh* just look at a current website... something like hardwarezone.com... nightmare.

Originally posted by dragos

Me prefer hand coding also...hehe

but when i see what those software like dreamweaver can do....hooked liao.....now learning dreamweaver..

You know, no matter how hard I tried, I can never like the WYSIWYG editors. Too cumbersome, too slow, and the code produced is horrible. Tried FrontPage (worst!), DreamWeaver, GoLive!, etc and never quite liked them. Old habits die hard. ;p

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

You know, no matter how hard I tried, I can never like the WYSIWYG editors. Too cumbersome, too slow, and the code produced is horrible. Tried FrontPage (worst!), DreamWeaver, GoLive!, etc and never quite liked them. Old habits die hard. ;p

Regards
CK

ya, I prefer hand coding too, I tried front page once.... AMAZINGLY stupid and complex codes....

after using that, it made the codes almost impossible to change by hand.

Best editing program is....... *drum* notepad.exe

I picked up html programming when my dad forced me to start my own webpage, hooked since... I also picked up ASP during my IA

Any of you guys use Regular Expressions??
I've been searching the industry and have barely found anybody using them....

They are excellent for maintaining code... ;)

For me it was basically from reading source codes from websites and html books. Started back in 1996 when I had to create a website for my research group back in college. I'm still coding in basic html with the most powderful coding package available... Microsoft Notepad plus text icons created with Paintshop Pro!!!

mine first web design was by using the damn-boring-HTML
den went up to front page which i thought was a waste learning HTML..
den now.. macromedias:bsmilie:
cycle cycle... LOL
who knows..

Originally posted by willyfoo
Any of you guys use Regular Expressions??
I've been searching the industry and have barely found anybody using them....

They are excellent for maintaining code... ;)

I can never remember those complex codes, always have to ask a fellow colleague who is better at them. For search and replace stuff, they are infinitely useful.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by rueyloon

ya, I prefer hand coding too, I tried front page once.... AMAZINGLY stupid and complex codes....

after using that, it made the codes almost impossible to change by hand.

Best editing program is....... *drum* notepad.exe

I picked up html programming when my dad forced me to start my own webpage, hooked since... I also picked up ASP during my IA

DreamWeaver also has some redundant codes. Like

<font size=1><font face="Verdana"><font color="red">blah blah blah</font></font></font>

If I were to handcode this, I'd have done:
<font face="Verdana" color="red" size=1>blah blah blah</font>

Much more efficient! :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by SzennyBoy
For me it was basically from reading source codes from websites and html books. Started back in 1996 when I had to create a website for my research group back in college. I'm still coding in basic html with the most powderful coding package available... Microsoft Notepad plus text icons created with Paintshop Pro!!!

Hi, just want to add that you can use Textpad instead of notepad. It has more functions like advance search and replace and bookmarking and have different colours for different file types like SQL scripts and java files and you can configure hot keys for java compiler.

Best of all, the interface is quite simple like notepad. Normally I'll use Dreamweaver to start from scratch but I'll use Textpad to edit. :)

Its freeware...

If you like text editor , I recommend you to use editplus 2 to edit web pages ...

some features I like
- able to replace strings or paragraph in single and multiple files
- able to do record keystrokes and repeat in multiples
- has built-in browser to see the preview

I swear by HomeSite. It has all the automation and functionality I want, like colour coding, tag completion, advanced search/replace across files, etc. Can even FTP files within HomeSite.

Regards
CK

me learn the painful hard way in the 'old days' using Notepad. it's not my main business now but i edit any html stuff nowsadays with Eversoft's free 1st Page html editor.

Originally posted by Larry
me learn the painful hard way in the 'old days' using Notepad. it's not my main business now but i edit any html stuff nowsadays with Eversoft's free 1st Page html editor.

I still remember in the "good old days" where there aren't that many books on HTML, I had to learn it from reading W3C, Netscape sites as well as to "View Source" and dissect people's HTML. Learning HTML tables that time is a pain man.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.