Where can you get good cheap film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rochkoh

Feb 8, 2002
Under your skin
Visit site
Where do you guys usually get your film?

Thinking of getting between 10-15 rolls for my upcoming trip..

ABC or mustafa.

I feel mustafa is the cheapest

Try Cathay Photo. The last I bought (< 1 month ago) they are selling Fujifilm Superia XTRA 400 for a price of $7 for 2 rolls. That's $3.50 per roll, which is a good price for a ISO 400 film.

Whatever it is, avoid Kodak MAX 400 at all costs, even if it's free.

Regards
CK

Thanks CK. Was just there. Bought meself some stuff to experiment. Mostly taking scenery (landscape) & outdoor (buildings) shots.

Fuji Superia Reala 100
Fuji Superia 200
Fuji Superia XTRA 400
Kodak Supra 100.

Read from Amature Photography (the magazine) that the Fuji Velvia is quite popular too.

But heard from the guy at CP - the Kodak Supra 100 needs some kind of special processing that most shops cannot deal with effectively. What's this all about?

Originally posted by ckiang
Try Cathay Photo. The last I bought (< 1 month ago) they are selling Fujifilm Superia XTRA 400 for a price of $7 for 2 rolls. That's $3.50 per roll, which is a good price for a ISO 400 film.

Whatever it is, avoid Kodak MAX 400 at all costs, even if it's free.

Regards
CK

How about their Slide flims?

Try Ruby Photo at Pennisular Shopping Centre (next to the hotel). Always get my film there. There are pro-film to chose from too, if you have the budget and skills to handle those film.

Never tried Kodak slide films, but heard the EliteChrome 100VS is not bad. I normally use Fujichrome Provia 100F, which costs $8.80 at FotoGuide.

Regards
CK

Kodak EliteChrome 100 Extra Color is not bad .. rich in color ..
but not good for human shots ..

I got 3 rolls of Supra 400 (exp 07/2003) selling at $5/- per roll if you are interested or get all 3 at $14/-

Never tried Kodak slide films, but heard the EliteChrome 100VS is not bad. I normally use Fujichrome Provia 100F, which costs $8.80 at FotoGuide.

Regards
CK
EliteChrome 100VS ? Ermm... I think you meant EKTACHROME 100VS ? The EliteChrome series doesn't have the VS (if memory serves, Vivid Saturation) designation.

If I'm not wrong, I think roch is a newbie.
Advised not to use Velvia yet as its a ISO 50 film. Pretty slow and probably need tripod-shot most of the time.

Just get film from Cathay Photo. they've the largest stock around. I prefer not from ABC or mustafa. Coz they have no proper method of film storage.

Originally posted by Edmund
EliteChrome 100VS ? Ermm... I think you meant EKTACHROME 100VS ? The EliteChrome series doesn't have the VS (if memory serves, Vivid Saturation) designation.

Right, 100VS is Ektachrome. 100EC is Elitechrome. I wonder what Extra Colours the film has. :D

Sorry, not that familiar with Kodak films. Never touched them since I got extremely disappointed with MAX 400 (and a friend got extremely disappointed with Portra 400). :p

I am a Fuji person now.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Shadus
If I'm not wrong, I think roch is a newbie.
Advised not to use Velvia yet as its a ISO 50 film. Pretty slow and probably need tripod-shot most of the time.

Just get film from Cathay Photo. they've the largest stock around. I prefer not from ABC or mustafa. Coz they have no proper method of film storage.

Yup yup, very new. Just begun experimenting on slides.

Think i'll take a range of shots with a range of film/slides, and shoot based on what i've gathered/learnt about the nature of these film. Haven't tried Velvia and i don't think i'll try during my upcoming trip since most of my fellow travellers are hardcore shopperholics. :rolleyes:

Got some slide film from CP during yesterday's SEED:
2 X Kodak EliteChrome 100 : $7.00 ea ($60 for 10 but don't want to buy soo many if i found that i don't like the outcome)
2 X Fuji Sensia 100: $6.80 ea
1 X Fuji Provia 100: $8.80.

Got some 'normal' film like the Fuji Superia 200, XTRA 400 and the Reala too.

Going to Hong Kong and BangKok for a week in March. Here's my plan:
Slides at Victoria Peak, Repulse Bay, Lantau Island, Pattaya and Chaktuchak
Normal film everywhere else.

Pray that the weather holds.

Originally posted by rochkoh

Yup yup, very new. Just begun experimenting on slides.

Think i'll take a range of shots with a range of film/slides, and shoot based on what i've gathered/learnt about the nature of these film. Haven't tried Velvia and i don't think i'll try during my upcoming trip since most of my fellow travellers are hardcore shopperholics. :rolleyes:

Got some slide film from CP during yesterday's SEED:
2 X Kodak EliteChrome 100 : $7.00 ea ($60 for 10 but don't want to buy soo many if i found that i don't like the outcome)
2 X Fuji Sensia 100: $6.80 ea
1 X Fuji Provia 100: $8.80.

Got some 'normal' film like the Fuji Superia 200, XTRA 400 and the Reala too.

Going to Hong Kong and BangKok for a week in March. Here's my plan:
Slides at Victoria Peak, Repulse Bay, Lantau Island, Pattaya and Chaktuchak
Normal film everywhere else.

Pray that the weather holds.

Kodak EliteChrome 100 is good for color scenery shot ...

Hi guys

Just sharing my experience.

For slides, I have been using Kodak Ektachromes - 100VS and 100 SW. I find them suitable in that I like their slightly "warm" balance.
I have been told that Fuji slide films are suited for landscapes, reason given is their affinity to render greens very well.

For color print films however, I prefer Fuji:
NPH 400
PRESS 800G

cheers!

P.S - Anyone knows where I can get the Kodak T400CN at its cheapest? < $5? think they used to cost only $4.50 years back.

I do recall sometime back that Canon Camera Club members can get Fuji film at a discount. I dunno if the club or the offer still exist. Anyone ?

Hmm... is there a guide somewhere on film types or a description of which film types are good for various situations?

a very good review and recocmendation site for film:
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/jrp_faq/faq_what_film_to_use.html

frommy own experience (part of it come from scanning with my fim scanner, all the grain are expose...), i only use Fuji Reala 100 and for indoor, only use NPH400.....both cost S$6.80 per roll (today just bought 6 rolls @ fotoguide), though i'm frequent customer of fotoguide, the old man just refused to gave me discount during these few years...:(

imho, avoid kodak max 400, grainy...use Fuji superior X-tra 400 if u are in thight budget (can not afford NPH400)

Status
Not open for further replies.