Not open for further replies.
chenwei said:
wow list going fast!! :bigeyes:

btw, educated ah lian == eal i know?

yeap! ;)

and er... someone spell my nick wrongly =X

Newman said:
I use the small plastic cups from Ikea.

Btw folks, this sport is called inline skating. Rollerblade is actually a brand that got so popular that many people use it instead and probably because it sounds more cool. :bsmilie:

Ahh...Newman, if you can quote this statement than you are not qualified as a beginners liao..hahah :bsmilie:
Rollerblade is the brand that popularised the sports. it still avaible today and produce good skate too.

i had 3 (or 4) pairs of blades these 12 years past. started with cheap california pro and ended with macroblades (i think i had like 3 macros). all disintegrated liao. ugh.
can shamelessly declare i'm the first to skate backwards the entire paved length of ecp like 11 years back when i was so much crazier.
gave up blading when my final pair of macroblades shattered under my feet at my neighbourhood park connector.. so paiseh.. walking around wearing liners and holding pieces of the blade.
yes i still call them blades. been doin that since day 1. sounds cooler too.. hahaha

MonteC said:
Agreed that getting the proper stroke is important, but too many times the reason for why people were asked to take classes can have many factors like commercial innuendo (to make money), ...blah blah blah...etc. there are many world class skaters started skating by themselves and slowly progress to become good racers. So you cannot say everybody MUST take course, since every individual is different, some people learns better skating alone some learn better in group. I have 2 friends who are able to pick up the essence of skating in just 2 weekends! they are skating double-push honking powerful!!!

Hi Montec. yes yes i agree. I myself have never attented any school except my instructor course. everyone is different...thats what we learnt in our course too.

I broke my elbow once while trying to imitate a foreward crossover. And i bet i wouldnt have suffered if i were to have taken lessons. Reason is simple.....i would have use protections and learn the skills progressively-a step at a time.

Skate schools are commercial establisements and "to make money" is ofcos 1st on their list. Many a time, the instructor to students ratio are too high and attention were compromised(in my opinion). But i dun blame them....

It really depends on what you wanna acheive. If you just wanna be a recreational skater, than i believe most can learn just that all by themselve. But if you wanna be good in some decipline like Inline hockey, speed or even slalom, than a good foundation i think is very important. It certainly helps to better the learning curve.

Well, to each his own. Skate schools would not be florishing if many do not think is worth while right? :bsmilie:

Oh! ive never mention "everyone Must take course"(check my post). Take care.

rogersk8ter said:
Ahh...Newman, if you can quote this statement than you are not qualified as a beginners liao..hahah :bsmilie:
Rollerblade is the brand that popularised the sports. it still avaible today and produce good skate too.
Muahahaha, I didn't say I'm a beginner also. :)
But I don't skate much these days. Maybe about 8 trips to ECP last year. I can skate comfortably though I would like to learn more challenging stuff. Key phrase to all the learners is 'edge control' and I'm still learning that. :embrass: :angel:

educated ah lian said:
yeap! ;)

and er... someone spell my nick wrongly =X
haha... no wonder i found so familiar, u remember who am i? ;)

my skating skills still beginner, can't even break/stop properly... :( tat's why looking forward for this course~

(1) Chenwei
(2) meepokman
(3) educated-ahlian
(4) darrelchia
(5) jt1
(6) wormz777
(7) rusty
(8) John Teoh
(9) hwchoy - me completely never skated before… how? where to buy gear?
(10) benedium - just wanna hang with skaters
(11) swiftdragon - I have a pair of size 9 skates (rollerblade brand) to spare..
(12) calisc - sold off my blades cos they were too good for me... cannot brake...
(13) rubric
(14) syrinx

Would like to join to if the timing is suitable. Can probably stand up (albeit really slowly & carefully) without falling. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

(1) Chenwei
(2) meepokman
(3) eduacted-ahlian
(4) darrelchia
(5) jt1
(6) wormz777
(7) rusty
(8) John Teoh
(11) swiftdragon - I have a pair of size 9 skates (rollerblade brand) to spare..
(12) calisc - sold off my blades cos they were too good for me... cannot brake... :sweat:
(13) rubric
(14) Hong Jia : Me Me ultra bad in skating... u wana teach... cannot turn cannot brake... can fall back but not front... and cannot even brake well with the heel brake... see my skate condition... u will heart pain... use 2 time like pple use 100 times... ;) ;p :)

(1) Chenwei
(2) meepokman
(3) educated-ahlian
(4) darrelchia
(5) jt1
(6) wormz777
(7) rusty
(8) John Teoh
(12) calisc - sold off my blades cos they were too good for me... cannot brake...
(13) rubric
(14) syrinx : Would like to join to if the timing is suitable. Can probably stand up (albeit really slowly & carefully) without falling. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
(15) Hong Jia : Me Me ultra bad in skating... u wana teach... cannot turn cannot brake... can fall back but not front... and cannot even brake well with the heel brake... see my skate condition... u will heart pain... use 2 time like pple use 100 times... ;) :cry:

Clown said:
can shamelessly declare i'm the first to skate backwards the entire paved length of ecp like 11 years back when i was so much crazier.

I know EXACATLY what youre talking about :) Ive worn out so many pairs of skates :) my first 3 pairs were Bauers F4 H3 H4, then I started playing hockey and since them Ive skated hockey skates CCMs, Missions. Was in Australia and I used to skate Ramps with hockey skates with . Im skating a pair of mission hockey skates, I recently got a pair of salomon FSKs.

my claim to fame is blading (yes, I still call them blades too) down the national stadium steps.

My worst accident was when I was skating down the NTU slope from teh admin block to Jalan bahar. The initial part is like 40 degrees goin INTO a blind corner and I was skating down when suddenly I didnt see the bus that I thought I saw.. I hit the corner of the oncoming bus, deflected off. . spun around about 10 times and stopped by a drain.

2 fractured ribs, concussion, broken tooth, and arm broken in 2 places.

I was lucky.

LOL

was back skating in 2 months.

hehehe.

sigh. . The good ole days.

and no. . I haven't ridden any stairs for 7 years.

ragdolll said:
I know EXACATLY what youre talking about :) Ive worn out so many pairs of skates :) my first 3 pairs were Bauers F4 H3 H4, then I started playing hockey and since them Ive skated hockey skates CCMs, Missions. Was in Australia and I used to skate Ramps with hockey skates with . Im skating a pair of mission hockey skates, I recently got a pair of salomon FSKs.

my claim to fame is blading (yes, I still call them blades too) down the national stadium steps.

My worst accident was when I was skating down the NTU slope from teh admin block to Jalan bahar. The initial part is like 40 degrees and I was skating down when suddenly I didnt see the bus that I thgout hI saw.. I hit the corner of teh on coming bus defletced off. . spun around about 10 times and stopped by a drain.

I was lucky.

LOL

was back skating in 2 months.

hehehe.

sigh. . The good ole days.

and no. . I haven't ridden any stairs for 7 years.

U are one freaking lucky chap! That place is dangerous! I may not studied there but I used to work as pizza hut rider and been the area u say . duhz.. still u lucky!

Im thinking shall i join in the course.. My blade hid in my cupboard for ard 2 years. lol Still working fine :bsmilie:

warning if u have old blades: the plastic may have lost the elasticity and may disintegrate into MANY MANY SMALL SMALL pieces just like mine had.. haha..

do a small test run by jumping around with it first..

ragdolll said:
My worst accident was when I was skating down the NTU slope from teh admin block to Jalan bahar. The initial part is like 40 degrees goin INTO a blind corner and I was skating down when suddenly I didnt see the bus that I thought I saw.. I hit the corner of the oncoming bus, deflected off. . spun around about 10 times and stopped by a drain.

:bigeyes: This reminds me of the race in the movie 'Airborne'! There're a couple of scenes where the skaters rammed into cars and a truck going down super steep slopes. They have to slow down using both heel stop and T-brake, and you can see smoke coming from burnt rubber!

Clown said:
warning if u have old blades: the plastic may have lost the elasticity and may disintegrate into MANY MANY SMALL SMALL pieces just like mine had.. haha..

do a small test run by jumping around with it first..
Anything with plastic parts definitely won't last long. They become brittle, especially if you stopped using them for quite a while.

Newman said:
:bigeyes: This reminds me of the race in the movie 'Airborne'! There're a couple of scenes where the skaters rammed into cars and a truck going down super steep slopes. They have to slow down using both heel stop and T-brake, and you can see smoke coming from burnt rubber!
haha.. airborne was like a major inspiration for us that time.
but we threw out the heel brake pad the moment we got the blades.. damn irritating.

(1) Chenwei
(2) meepokman
(3) educated-ahlian
(4) darrelchia
(5) jt1
(6) wormz777
(7) rusty
(8) John Teoh
(13) rubric
(14) syrinx : Would like to join to if the timing is suitable. Can probably stand up (albeit really slowly & carefully) without falling.
(15) Hong Jia : Me Me ultra bad in skating... u wana teach... cannot turn cannot brake... can fall back but not front... and cannot even brake well with the heel brake... see my skate condition... u will heart pain... use 2 time like pple use 100 times...
(16) isis & friend - Donno how to skate/blade, but keen to learn. :) Don't own any blading/skating gear or guards either.

chenwei said:
haha... no wonder i found so familiar, u remember who am i? ;)

my skating skills still beginner, can't even break/stop properly... :( tat's why looking forward for this course~

of cos i remember! ;)

mine blading skills worse. i can managed to stand and walk around, can't really skate though

Crysania said:
Thinking of learning in line skating too. Just wondering, how much do the blades and safety gear cost?
You'd need to spend around $200 for a basic set but the skates won't be really good. I would suggest you try renting the gear for a while before deciding if you want to be serious in this sport as it will take a while to master the basics. I have seen many people giving up after a few outings because they couldn't take the falls and such. Once you are serious about it, go for a good pair of skates which will serve you well for a long while. In addition, you'd need to learn how to maintain your skates such as rotating the wheels, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.