Where can i find Canon 50mm 1.8 these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
;(

Everywhere is out of stock.

Been to CP, TCW, Alex Photo in Peninsula, John 3:16 in Funan, AP in Sim Lim, all out of stock and all have no idea when stocks will be coming in.

Where else can i find?

behyx said:
;(
Where else can i find?

attached to my camera... :devil:

in my camera bag now :D

On a serious note, why not check with canon direct to see when their stocks will be coming in? Or how bout konata, k-13 or if you can really bargain, far east or lucky plaza?

HelmetBox said:
in my camera bag now :D

On a serious note, why not check with canon direct to see when their stocks will be coming in? Or how bout konata, k-13 or if you can really bargain, far east or lucky plaza?

Check with Canon direct? seems like a good idea.
Thanks!

RuthBaby said:
2nd hand ba
i jus sold it 1 month ago :thumbsup:

The only 2nd hand place i can search for is here (clubsnap). Those shops out there simply don't carry this lens, be it new or 2nd hand. But the problem is, demand is MUCH MORE than supply.

behyx said:
demand is MUCH MORE than supply.

I was just about to say that but you faster. hehe....... :D But the demand is only for now because the stock has yet to arrive.

I was in this position some months back and getting a 2nd hand one was extremely hard. Then a month later, when stock saturated the market again, there was a surge in the selling of this lens.

Oh well, its just the timing and how much you want it and am willing to wait. :D

HelmetBox said:
I was just about to say that but you faster. hehe....... :D But the demand is only for now because the stock has yet to arrive.

I was in this position some months back and getting a 2nd hand one was extremely hard. Then a month later, when stock saturated the market again, there was a surge in the selling of this lens.

Oh well, its just the timing and how much you want it and am willing to wait. :D

Right.. So the only way to know when the stocks are coming, is to call up Canon? But i'm just wondering, how does the stocks come in? Is it through Canon or some other distributor?

hmmm... AFAIK, Canon stocks with local warranty must come from canon. Unless its parallel import which of course no local warranty. There shouldn't be any parallel imports for this lens. The other time I checked, TCW does not take this lens from Canon direct ,which is why they sell it at a higher price, but their sources probably did.

Seriously, you ought to check out places like lucky plaza or far east. Because you already know the price of the lens, you won't be chopped. And even if you don't get it at the best price, IMHO, paying $5 to $10 more for something you want is absolutely worth it :D

HelmetBox said:
hmmm... AFAIK, Canon stocks with local warranty must come from canon. Unless its parallel import which of course no local warranty. There shouldn't be any parallel imports for this lens. But the other time I checked, TCW does not take this lens from Canon direct ,which is why they sell it at a higher price, but their sources probably did.

Seriously, you ought to check out places like lucky plaza or far east. Because you already know the price of the lens, you won't be chopped. And even if you don't get it at the best price, IMHO, paying $5 to $10 more for something you want is absolutely worth it :D

Haha.. okok.. IMHO, far east or lucky plaza is 2 of the last places i would go to get my stuffs. But i'll go and try my luck then....

RuthBaby said:

Hey thanks!

But just hours back, i've bought a brand new one at MS color.

Didn't know 9 of this 50/1.8 came in yesterday, so when i called today, they said all 9 are sold out. But 1 of them is reserved for a customer, and they said if that customer back out, then i'll be able to get. As true as it can be, he backed out this afternoon :blah: , so MS color called me up and ask me if i still wants it. Hehe.. NO more tu liao. Evening went straight to AMK! Hehe.. Oh btw, the price is S$140.

Anyway just some comparison.. As i've used my friend's 50/1.4 before, i find that 1.8 version is noisier (lack of USM) and focusing is slower.

behyx said:
Hey thanks!

But just hours back, i've bought a brand new one at MS color.

Didn't know 9 of this 50/1.8 came in yesterday, so when i called today, they said all 9 are sold out. But 1 of them is reserved for a customer, and they said if that customer back out, then i'll be able to get. As true as it can be, he backed out this afternoon :blah: , so MS color called me up and ask me if i still wants it. Hehe.. NO more tu liao. Evening went straight to AMK! Hehe.. Oh btw, the price is S$140.

Anyway just some comparison.. As i've used my friend's 50/1.4 before, i find that 1.8 version is noisier (lack of USM) and focusing is slower.

I also got the 'last' piece. called this morning at 11am sharp when they opened. Reserved and went down to collect. paid $145. you paid $140? lucky you.

friendly staff at mscolor. :thumbsup:

di0nysus said:
I also got the 'last' piece. called this morning at 11am sharp when they opened. Reserved and went down to collect. paid $145. you paid $140? lucky you.

friendly staff at mscolor. :thumbsup:

Yes, friendly staff. They even commented that i was really lucky because the person backed out. Hey, when i was making payment, i saw another person buying the 50/1.8 too! Apparently he also called to reserve. Don't know if he's you. Hehe.. It's around 7+pm.

Oh btw, one thing i cannot accept in these retail shops is different pricings amongst different customers. I believe a certain level of integrity should be maintain to keep the customer trust 'up to level' even though competition is high out there.

they probably had stock but then chose to use the 'last piece' tactic so that everyone will be kan chiong and not think twice about buying :bsmilie: In that way they can mark up the prices too since its the 'last piece' :bsmilie: heheheheheheheeeeeeee.......

Anyway, welcome to the 1.8 club! :D

HelmetBox said:
they probably had stock but then chose to use the 'last piece' tactic so that everyone will be kan chiong and not think twice about buying :bsmilie: In that way they can mark up the prices too since its the 'last piece' :bsmilie: heheheheheheheeeeeeee.......

Anyway, welcome to the 1.8 club!

IN fact, if i have more money to spare, i'd rather go for the 1.4.. :D :D

But i think mine is geniune reserved by another person one. Because it have a post-it stick on the box, stating some other person's name and tel. What more interesting is his name and my name rhymes. :D

Hee Hee
I just got mine from AP after waiting for 2 weeks !!
:p

Price also 140 !! :)

That's cool! Good for u man! :)
Welcome :D

Status
Not open for further replies.