Where can I buy reliable hard disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commander

Aug 25, 2004
Hi all,

My lappy is gonna crash on me anytime and I need to transfer all my beloved photos to a portable hard disk. The problem is......I don't have one!!!

My budget is around $100 and the minimum size of the hard disk is 80 Gb. Do u pplz know of any shop in Singapore (not necessary have to be sim lim or funan) that sells reliable portable hard disk?

Maybe you can list the shop name, addresss, which particular model (brand) of hard disk, size of storage and warranty?

This can be a thread to discuss portable hard disk. Thanks all!!

It's not a "where to buy" so much as "what brand to buy".

Just look at the hardwarezone.com priceguide. You can see it there.

If worse comes to worse, burn to CD-R or DVD-R

Are u looking for 2.5" or 3.5" HDD? Casing a different price thereafter...

For $100, looks like Hitachi notebk 80 g hdd + a cheap basic casing. But u need to assemble urself. V simple.

Are u looking for 2.5" or 3.5" HDD? Casing a different price thereafter...

For $100, looks like Hitachi notebk 80 g hdd + a cheap basic casing. But u need to assemble urself. V simple.

yup...

like LEGO...

;)

for $100, think can buy maxtor branded external harddrive from places like challenger.

$100 is just nice to get almost any brand 80GB 2.5" HDD with a cheap $10 case which works as good as those nice 50bucks case.

why not bump the budget up a little if i'm not wrong i got my 320gb maxtor external hdd for abt 150

why not bump the budget up a little if i'm not wrong i got my 320gb maxtor external hdd for abt 150
good size, but its not really portable with that weight and a power adapter around...

I bought a 320GB external Maxtor for $199 from Challenger.
Have not bothered to use it yet.

The SATA Maxtor 120GB in my PC is working just fine. Not problems since day 1. Very reliable.

A 80GB 2.5" External USB HDD (inclusive of a cheap casing) should easily fit your budget.
Get a brand that offers a manufacturer's warranty of 3 years or longer *without* any extra payment to get that level of warranty - it shows the level of confidence the manufacturer has on its hard disks.

But then again, is your lappy's problem its hard disk or something else?
If your lappy's HDD is not faulty, then just take it out and put into a cheap S$10-15 external USB casing and then transfer over your stuff to your new lappy or desktop.

i bought a 2.5" HDD 80G hitachi with a cheap casing in SLS, $95 with GST. the casing is really cheap, as i saw the price tag on the cheap casing is $6.90.

It was quote 3-year warranty, but the owner didn't give me any warranty card, he told me just keep the moisure bag with a hardisk production label, and the receipt will do. i asked where to exchange, he said go to Hitachi service center..

anyone know what we can do if the HDD fail in 3 year time?

i was supposed to get the 160G that cost $133, but think again that as a portable HDD, i mainly store something that need to bring along..so save the $..and go for 80G.

Hi all,

My lappy is gonna crash on me anytime and I need to transfer all my beloved photos to a portable hard disk. The problem is......I don't have one!!!

My budget is around $100 and the minimum size of the hard disk is 80 Gb. Do u pplz know of any shop in Singapore (not necessary have to be sim lim or funan) that sells reliable portable hard disk?

Maybe you can list the shop name, addresss, which particular model (brand) of hard disk, size of storage and warranty?

This can be a thread to discuss portable hard disk. Thanks all!!

Buy Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital, just don't buy IBM/Hitachi.

i bought a 2.5" HDD 80G hitachi with a cheap casing in SLS, $95 with GST. the casing is really cheap, as i saw the price tag on the cheap casing is $6.90.

It was quote 3-year warranty, but the owner didn't give me any warranty card, he told me just keep the moisure bag with a hardisk production label, and the receipt will do. i asked where to exchange, he said go to Hitachi service center..

anyone know what we can do if the HDD fail in 3 year time?

i was supposed to get the 160G that cost $133, but think again that as a portable HDD, i mainly store something that need to bring along..so save the $..and go for 80G.

In 3 yrs time, it will be out of warranty.

Within the next 3 years, just send for RMA

RMA details here

In 3 yrs time, it will be out of warranty.

Within the next 3 years, just send for RMA

RMA details here

Hitachi/IBM harddisk will sstart to make some noise 1.5 years and start to make clacking sound and become unreadable by the end of the 2nd year. What's the use of a 3 year warantee? It doesn't protect my data. IMO, the data is worth much much more than the hardware.

just dun get anything from western digital, Fujitsu, and toshiba....:thumbsd:

"trust me" I have insider information. :devil:

Hitachi/IBM harddisk will sstart to make some noise 1.5 years and start to make clacking sound and become unreadable by the end of the 2nd year. What's the use of a 3 year warantee? It doesn't protect my data. IMO, the data is worth much much more than the hardware.

wah, Hitachi HDD really that terrible? but i have bought it haa..

anyway, it doesn't come along with any warranty card, the shopkeeper told me just keep the moisture bag with some production info and it will be enough to replace if faulty.

hope the HDD will survive long..

seriously, insider information nad first hand experience. which will win?

WD died on me after 3mths, had to RMA and the new one held on for 4yrs. Seagate went strong for 5yrs before i changed to a laptop, and still is ok. Laptop HDD was a Toshiba that is still holding since I bought it 3 years ago. Now got 2 Hitachi HDDs to store and move around.

So far everything is ok, getting a bad HDD is just like getting caught in the rain. It is just your luck, you might be lucky to get one that will even last you for 10yrs.

I crashed 7 Seagate HD in about 10 years time frame. The fastest record for crashing was install, HD to PC. Install windoze. restart den ping.... crashed. My latest was a 320GB Seagate HD. lost all my backup photos and some that I just downloaded and waiting to burn to DVDs.

So what if they give me 5 years or 10 years warranty. the data lost will never be recovered. (FYI, the warranty is only for the hardware, any data in not covered)

I used to trust Maxtor brand but now.... dunno. Currently using a 500GB WD one touch with firewire interface. Good and fast. Almost 1 yr old liao.

Status
Not open for further replies.