Where can i buy a light and cheap tripod???

Status
Not open for further replies.

compro_1975

Apr 24, 2005
i just used my father's which is keep for as long as i was born unused and it is coming apart so need to get 1 for the family.

tks for the help, mayb u give me the link or address then i go hav a look. happy LNY to u!!!

well you can tripods from most of the regular camera stores that are mentioned here..alan photo, cathay etc.

i got my 'cheap' tripod from carefour at suntec city, 2nd level. not exactly the professional type but it gets the job done.

hope that helps.

it really boils down to what u really want and expectations of your tripod.
if u just wanna get a simple one perhaps ard $20 and u can get one
if you need one for a dslr with heavy lens then perhaps u really need to spend a lot on it
:)

Hi,

This is my first post but I thought this article would be useful to you:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

One of my friend went thought the exact sequence of buying tripod(s) described in the article. :)

Gist of it: Invest if you are planning to put heavy things (lens, etc) on the tripod.

My 0.02.

Cheers.

YH

YHLim said:
Hi,

This is my first post but I thought this article would be useful to you:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

One of my friend went thought the exact sequence of buying tripod(s) described in the article. :)

Gist of it: Invest if you are planning to put heavy things (lens, etc) on the tripod.

My 0.02.

Cheers.

YH

i m not 1 of those who always get it right de 1st time... :(

cheap tripod anywhere will be available

for good tripod- go to cathay

& CS Buy & Sell forum... :lovegrin:

I am using a Velborn Ultra-Maxi. Its is comapct and stable. Although not as stable as those Professional series, but it serves me well better than those $30 aluminium tripods.
What I like it most is that it folds to 35cm, and extends to over 160cm. Most of the time I just hangs it over at my camera bag with a velco, as it weights only 0.96kg. Price should be less than $100 nowadays.

For your info, it can hold my Minolta 5D with 18-200mm with 3600 ext flash. BUt have to keep the Elevator Slide low for such weight.

http://www.velbon-tripod.com/ultra_maxi.htm

coolman said:
I am using a Velborn Ultra-Maxi. Its is comapct and stable. Although not as stable as those Professional series, but it serves me well better than those $30 aluminium tripods.
What I like it most is that it folds to 35cm, and extends to over 160cm. Most of the time I just hangs it over at my camera bag with a velco, as it weights only 0.96kg. Price should be less than $100 nowadays.

For your info, it can hold my Minolta 5D with 18-200mm with 3600 ext flash. BUt have to keep the Elevator Slide low for such weight.

http://www.velbon-tripod.com/ultra_maxi.htm

hmmmm... nice, worth a look at... where to buy?

I bought my $20 tripod at Penninsular Plaza. IIRC the shop shoube be at the 2nd or 3rd floor. Selling many cheap tripods. They have Olympus and Nikon tripods too, quite cheap, about $40.

Light and cheap you can get anywhere...

But light, cheap and good (ie sturdy, support heavy weight without slipping, etc) is a totally different matter... if you ever find a source, let me know.

Wai Leong
===
compro_1975 said:
i just used my father's which is keep for as long as i was born unused and it is coming apart so need to get 1 for the family.

tks for the help, mayb u give me the link or address then i go hav a look. happy LNY to u!!!

it need not to carry heavy weight, cos i dun intend to get a DSLR or a heavy cam soon within the next 2~3 years, a simple with max height of 160~170 would be enough for me.:cool:

tks to all hav given me suggestion, keep them coming!

CS's Buy and Sell.

Good chance to meet new people and buy something that's probably in great condition at a low price.

if you dun mind travelling to boon lay, you can have my tanner TR-102 at $10, 890g including pan-head. it does serve the purpose of holding the camera there, but nothing much more ;)

otherwise the whole budget line is there for you, from $20-50 range, <$200 range, $200-800 range, and more. depending on whether you want cheap and light, affordable but heavy, expensive and light. pick one category first and then it is easier to search for best buy in the category.

cheap tripod = not stable(esp when u mount heavier cameras like dslr)
light and stable tripod = not cheap since they're carbon fibre

my personal experience with cheap tripods, the head adjustments will tilt even after i tighten the nobs due to the weight of my camera so its hard to maintain lvl horizon(which is very important).

if u do use a cheap tripod, dont extend the central column or it becomes a monopod on 3 legs.

get from syketang? having some manfrotto tripod for sale.. not bad an offer

Ya get a Manfrotto
Got mine today from the sale
D728B abt $120 comes with bag
Should last a while

There was an article on how using a cheap tripod will give you much better than not using a tripod, and how having an expensive tripod is only a little bit better than having a cheap tripod.

It is understandable why you want it light. Many people do not carry around their super stable but heavy-like-hell tripods.

Just go down to Cathay Photo to first have a look at the full range of more popular tripods. Look at manfrotto, look at gitzo, look at slik and whatever other brands they carry. Touch and feel them. If possible even try them. Then decide what you won't mind carrying around and also make sure it is stable enough for your personal usage.

benedium said:
There was an article on how using a cheap tripod will give you much better than not using a tripod, and how having an expensive tripod is only a little bit better than having a cheap tripod.

It is understandable why you want it light. Many people do not carry around their super stable but heavy-like-hell tripods.

Just go down to Cathay Photo to first have a look at the full range of more popular tripods. Look at manfrotto, look at gitzo, look at slik and whatever other brands they carry. Touch and feel them. If possible even try them. Then decide what you won't mind carrying around and also make sure it is stable enough for your personal usage.

true.

not every1 willing 2 cary a tripod ttz above 1.5kg on an overseas trip. i brought my 2.5kg tripod on 1 & my family members raised a howl of protest over it (i nv asked them 2 carry it somemore).

get 1 ttz a breeze 2 use oso. if its 2 troublesome 2 use, u'll nv 1 2 carry it out of ur hse...

Status
Not open for further replies.