Where are some nice places to go in San Francisco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonray

Mar 25, 2005
Hey guys,
me taking a short trip to San Francisco in early feb. It's mainly for an interview with UCSF, but i will have a couple of days and maybe the evenings to roam around... where would be some of
the nicer/nicest areas in terms of photography and food? Hope that bros here can help me out
as it's my 1st time into US... heheh... TIA ;)

Hey guys,
me taking a short trip to San Francisco in early feb. It's mainly for an interview with UCSF, but i will have a couple of days and maybe the evenings to roam around... where would be some of
the nicer/nicest areas in terms of photography and food? Hope that bros here can help me out

Hi,

Great man ...

Been there a couple of times last few years. Here are some of my favourites:

Golden Gate Bridge (one of the best views is from the top of the hill across in Sausalito side overlooking the bridge to SF!)
Golden Gate Park
Sausalito
Ghiradelli Square
Cable Car
Fisherman's Wharf
Pier 39
Lombard Street
Coit Tower

Enjoy man....

Cheers!

Just to add a few...

Twin Peaks (Good for night view of the whole city area, but you gotta drive up, no public transport that I know of) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Peaks,_San_Francisco,_California
Alcatraz
Castro (that's the gay area if you are wondering :p)
Muir Woods and Napa Valley if you have the time

Have fun... I like SF a lot... :)

If you are into "real" shopping ...

Then drive to

Factory Outlet Stores
North of the Golden Gate bridge: Petaluma
South : Gilroy

Food ...

I am not into great food but at Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, you should try the Clam Chowder in a Bread Bowl!

Cheers!

Just to add a few...

Twin Peaks (Good for night view of the whole city area)
Alcatraz
Castro
Muir Woods if you have the time

Have fun... I like SF a lot... :)

Me too... I miss it so much!

Ya ... if you really really have the time and you love wine, then north of the Golden Gate is the heart of the Wine Country ... Sonoma and Napa valleys! At Sonoma, you can drive along the picturesque Russian River, with hugh Redwood trees all over and at the same time sample wine/champagne! (ooops you are not allowed to drink and drive ... sorry!)

Anyway, I haven't been there yet, but I heard somewhere north of Sonoma, there is this hugh redwood tree that you can actually drive through!

Cheers!

Remember to go to Chinatown. U feel like u r in HK

Also go to Richmond, a suburb and it is called new Chinatown.

Go to Civic Center. Walk along Market st to Powell where the turnaround for cable car is .

Go to Haight Ashbury

It is best to walk around. Buy those municipal pass for 1 day or 3 day or 6 day depending on your time and u can take unlimited rides on trains, buses and cable cars . The pass doesnt cover the BART which is like our MRT

Also must take pic of the cable car, the icon of SF

Remember to bring to windbreaker with inner lining for warm.

UC SF? Are you going to the medical school ?

If you are into "real" shopping ...

Then drive to

Factory Outlet Stores
North of the Golden Gate bridge: Petaluma
South : Gilroy

Food ...

I am not into great food but at Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, you should try the Clam Chowder in a Bread Bowl!

Cheers!

ooo... Gilroy... the biggest outlet mall I've ever been to.... can spend the whole day there shopping... hahaha... but a bit far from SF leh...

and yeah... the clam chowder in bread bowl is good... :)

ooo... Gilroy... the biggest outlet mall I've ever been to.... can spend the whole day there shopping... hahaha... but a bit far from SF leh...
QUOTE]

It sure is ... but if you like Nike, Guess, Levis, Timberland, Tommy Hilfiger, Samsonite at bargain prices .... er I know some ppl actually stay at Gilroy so that they can focus on shopping!

Hey guys,

my favourite city. lived there forever.

Let's go with food first - goto the Ferry Bldg Market on Embarcacero. It's a collection of small resturants and independent produce/dairy/deli retailers. I love the cheese from Cowgirl Creamery. There are jsut loads of variety there.

If you like oyster and seafood, goto Swan Oyster Depot on Polk St, between California and Sacramento. Best oyster in town. They only accept cash. My favourites are kumimoto and miyagi, but ask what's is available and good for the day. They close at 6pm I think.

Goto North Beach and roam around the various cafes (also lots of street shooting opps). There is this cafe, Cafe Jaquline (sp??) in North Beach, all they serve is soufle, and it's deadly good. Another fav rest of mine in North Beach is Rose Pistola on Columbus Ave. Their tappas is amazingly good, so is their roasted chicken.

If you are going to splurge, well, goto Aqua or Faralon, if you want creative seafood, but it will cost you plenty.

If you want to explore a bit there is this little place call Primo Patio Cafe, on Townsend St and Third St., try their jerck chicken, a Carribean flare in the city. I was their first customer when they opened over 12 years ago. If you run into the lady boss, tell her Antony sent you.

Photography - evening/night view of the city from Twins Peak, city view from Treasure Island, best view of Golden Gate Bridge is on Sausilito side, but don't go the the tourist view point, but instead, on the opposite side of the view point, there is a small hill. Go up there (drive) and you will be rewarded with a wonder view of the bridge with the city in the background.

Go walk around Castro (gay district), the painted ladies (Victorian era bldg on Pacific heights), Berkeley Pier (across Bay Bridge) at sunset ... just to name a few. It's a hilly city, but infinately walkable. Just walk around. It's a heaven for street shooting. people are less shy than in Singapore, but do be considerate, then you will be very ok. The neighborhood around UCSF is also very eclectic.

Places I would avoid - Chinatown, Fisherman Warf/Pier 39, Lombard St ...

PM me if you have any specific questions.

SF....I love the place! Not sure how many days you are going to be in the States, if you have the time and would like to take some nice picture..do try to go Yosemite National Park...great scenery (though it is a bit far, you need to drive quite a bit)! You will not regret going there. Standford University is also a nice place which is consider near to SF.

wow!! SF...will be going in Apr...which airline is the best value for $? hopefully can claim Krisflyer miles as well.

Some say its a boring place...some love it...well..to each his own i guess. I'll be there for at least 5 days (conference trip), then maybe heading down to Vegas/Grand Canyon??...worth it??

Am thinking of going NY as well...then back to SIN..

wow!! SF...will be going in Apr...which airline is the best value for $? hopefully can claim Krisflyer miles as well.

Some say its a boring place...some love it...well..to each his own i guess. I'll be there for at least 5 days (conference trip), then maybe heading down to Vegas/Grand Canyon??...worth it??

Those places are pretty far to go. Takes about 10 hours just to drive to Vegas or Grand Canyon and about 8 hours flight to NYC? All are nice places with a character of their own. Depends really on what you like. :)

alcatraz.

seafood.but their servings hor...piang eh...
i can only finish 1/3 of it.

New York is a 5 hours flight from SF.

Las Vegas, 1.5 hours or 8 hours driving (if I am driving). Grand Canyon, eventhoug it's close to Las Vegas, add 6 more hours of driving.

Why don't you head east to Lake Tahoe/Yosemite instead? Grand Canyon is definately worth it, las Vegas is absolutely a party town, but there are so much to offer in Northern California as well. Go up the Pacific Highway (Hwy 1) from SF to Mendocino is worth the 3 days of leisurely driving. I love it up there during spring.

Try Northwest which departs at 630am or UA which flies off at 730am.

If u take SQ with hotel, see if u can get Hotel Union Sq. So far I see only Holiday Inn Civic center in the package

U must fly to Vegas to save time. If u drive it is solid 10 hours jus to go to Vegas and another 6 hours from Vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim.

5 days - so many places so little time

All thees places are so so dear!!!

If you go, dun ever go into Tendorlion after dark with you camera and everything... Must take the cable-car, go to Virgin Records, Levi's...

woah lau eh... i post... go for lunch.. come back ... SO MANY POSTS!!!
okies... thanks to all the pple that replied... i will slowly go digest all the info provided...
yes... so many places... so little time...

Jeff: Yups... planning to apply there for PhD studies... so UCSF has a nice diabetes center...

hehe... if i get accepted there... then maybe will have loads of time to go walk walk and take pics... lol...

Thanks once again guys...;) ;)

woah lau eh... i post... go for lunch.. come back ... SO MANY POSTS!!!
okies... thanks to all the pple that replied... i will slowly go digest all the info provided...
yes... so many places... so little time...

Jeff: Yups... planning to apply there for PhD studies... so UCSF has a nice diabetes center...

hehe... if i get accepted there... then maybe will have loads of time to go walk walk and take pics... lol...

Thanks once again guys...;) ;)

WAH!

dude!

u doing your stuff in Biopolis rite?

Which company u in? or issit A*?

I'm working in Helios doing Diabetes work...don't tell me you're the new A*S in our company? :bsmilie: ..... intended to go UCSF for their Med/PhD but then i hate GRE....so LOL may be off to Germany instead!

I went SF last year....... FANTASTIC place dude!
UCSF...... LOL ...get ready to ride the bus/tram....the hills are.....erm........ remember "THE ROCK" movie?

yeah, the hills can kill........

its a great place !!!

anywhere in SF to shop for Camera stuff???

Status
Not open for further replies.