where and how much to develop SUPER big prints??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnipihz

Oct 5, 2002
Hi hi.....

i'm wondering if I want to develop prints such family portraits to be hung up onto the walls, where do i go about doing it? Price?

I had seen people having portraits of size around A1 or A0..... dunno what sizes are those in terms of 8R or 20R or 30R ??? lol...

or do photographers normally send it down to RGB for Lamda prints?

what are the difference between lamda prints and those prints by commercial large format printers found in bras besah???

do they normally matte laminate the prints? will the color run after a few years???

hope someone can ans my long ignorant questions.....

thanks in advance!!!

Originally posted by gnipihz
Hi hi.....

i'm wondering if I want to develop prints such family portraits to be hung up onto the walls, where do i go about doing it? Price?

I had seen people having portraits of size around A1 or A0..... dunno what sizes are those in terms of 8R or 20R or 30R ??? lol...

what are the difference between lamda prints and those prints by commercial large format printers found in bras besah???

do they normally matte laminate the prints? will the color run after a few years???

thanks in advance!!!

Not too sure abt lamdas as not much people print these.. normally photographers who do such prints, get the film scanned at high res, and print them at printing shops. Do get a good printing shop to print it, not just any tom dick harry one at Bras Basah.. they can suck real bad and make u regret. Price can go to abt $120+ or more. You can try goin to national photo engravers to have them high res scan ur image and do a print on large format printers that includes matt lamination and COLOUR PROOFING!!!!!!!
(this is a must as getting it scan and printed on different machines cause a shift in colour.. those shops that do printing in Bras Basah don't colour manage for u often so dun say I didn't warn u)

Just bring along a proof (a printed image/photo that you want the final image's colour to be matched with).

email angie@npe.com.sg for a quotation and appointment. PS: I don't work for them but visted their place before..

their co. do all kinds of comercial prints you see at cinemas and shopping centers and their sister company do printing for BUS advertisments.

Originally posted by gnipihz
Hi hi.....

thanks in advance!!!

First off, the "R" print sizes are not a recognised international method of print sizes, they apply purely to Singapore and surrounding areas. The rest of the world use either metric or Imperial paper sizes, eg: 10x8, 4x6, 150x100 etc.

Durst Lambda prints are a hybrid digital print, that is they use conventional silver halide paper (like normal photographs) and a RGB laser system to expose the paper. Once exposed the paper is printed in conventional RA4 chemistry. Lifespan of the print largely depends on the paper being used. The Kodak Pegasus printer works in a similar fashion to the Lambda. Both the Pegasus and Lambda are capable of printing enormous prints, of up to around 50m x 1.2m per section.

The other option (apart from classic darkroom enlargement) is a plotter based print. Plotter based prints tend to fade after 3-5 years in full sun, however they are generally cheaper than either Durst Lambda or Kodak Pegasus prints.

Laminating of the final print is normally an option and not included in most base print prices. Most laminations being plastic tend to be 'glossy' by their nature. There are also other finishing options inculding UV retardent overcoatings etc (big $$).

High quality scanning via a drum scanner is recommended, costs vary with the competence of the company performing the scanning, el cheapo drum scans cost 35-60 dollars per scan while top end professional scans can cost several hundred dollars per scan.

In reality the maximum useful print size for conventional printing from 35mm format negs/slides is 20x30 inches, after that severe image quality losses can occur, though I've printed and seen prints done to 40 x 60" from 35mm directly.

Hope this helps.

You may want to try out RGB.
They do large format printing as well.
Do ask them to give you a quote or something.

wow! these informations does open one's knowledge!!

thanks awfully!!! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.