When you all put your camera and lens in your camera bag,

Apr 11, 2002
u n k n o w n
Visit site
do you set your lens into auto zooming mode or manual mode?

If manual mode, lens barrel can be shifted/moved in the bag.

If auto mode, will the movement of the barrel transfer to the gears and has impact onto the motor?

Found out this when I placed my camera and lens in a backpack compartment and set it into manual mode, due to the arrangement, the compartment makes the lens protracted easily.

spree86 said:
Your lens as an auto zooming mode?

I think he mean is went we keep the lens we set on AF or MF..

I believe you are referring to 'Lens Creep'... which has nothing to do with AF or MF. Basically... your zoom ring is loose... and gravity cause the lens to 'Zoom Out' when you pull out the lens. If the lens is still attached to the camera... turn off your camera.

I believe you are referring to 'Lens Creep'... which has nothing to do with AF or MF. Basically... your zoom ring is loose... and gravity cause the lens to 'Zoom Out' when you pull out the lens. If the lens is still attached to the camera... turn off your camera.

If the issue is due to the lens zooming, this would be the issue. But based on TS description, it seems to be an issue with the lens extending due to the focusing mechanism? Some lens extend/retract the lens barrel while focusing, unless there is a new auto-zoom feature... :confused:

From what I understand, of course I may be wrong, when you engage AF, then turn off the camera, the motor will lock in place, effectively holding the lens in a fixed 'focus'. Unless you apply pressure to force either the focus ring to turn or depress the lens itself, there should be no issues. Based on your description, the camera should be placed with the lens facing down? If that is the case, there should not be much pressure on the lens, and should be fine to store with AF on, to prevent your lens from extending.

Mmmm... :think:

Could the TS please help by informing us which camera are you using ?? DSLR or some super zoom PnS ?? I have not been updated on PnS technology since t late 2009... what is this ''Auto Zoom'' ?? Sorry, kind of outdated... :sweat:

what the heck is "auto zoom"???

Sorry TS, but I don't understand your question.

Since I don't believe that any Super Zoom PnS camera having a AF or MF switch like DSLR's lenses have (correct me if I'm wrong)... then likely we are talking about DSLR lens... so lets ignore the 'Auto Zoom' part... whatever that is...

Is the TS worry that his lens motor ring (which control focusing), is being damage if he don't 'disengage' the ring when during transport and the Lens Creeped during that time ?? Something like being told that when you use a USM lens... its ok to even adjust the focusing ring when the camera's shutter button is half press. But if you are using a non USM lens... doing so will damage the motor ring... :think:

Well TS, no one here could help you if we can't understand the question or problem...

robin-ang said:
I think he mean is went we keep the lens we set on AF or MF..

As what others have say, I don't think it's an AF/MF issue. Pretty sure he's talking about lens creep but not sure on what the "auto zooming" part is

Last edited:
spree86 said:
As what others have say, I don't think it's an AF/MF issue. Pretty sure he's talking about lens creep but not sure on what the "auto zooming" part is

Ya, after reading the another post I sure I m wrong haha...but what was the "auto zooming"....

I am quite sure TS is asking about this - whether to leave lens in AF or MF.

I am quite familiar with this issue not because I face it when placing it in the bag, more of forgetting to change focus mode to MF and try to manually focus. I'm sure we all have experienced it now and then, especially for those using strong ND filters like the ND110 or ND106 where the focus must be set manually since AF would not work.

Think TS is just confused about what is "zoom", some lenses can extend quite a bit when focusing... So he may have simply taken that longer lens (literally) = "zoomed".

Yes, when lens is left in AF mode AND mounted, then twisting the focus ring is not good for the lens. So if TS is very worried about this, then you should set it to MF. It's not that hard right, just one switch.

Frankly speaking, I doubt it's a major issue or one that would happen much. Won't worry too mcuh about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.... :think:

But if your camera, which is turned off, but still has the lens attached to it is inside a bag... nothing bad would happen because no gears on the lens is moving or locked into any position...

And even if you DID forget to switch to manual and try to take a shot while turning the focusing ring... the moment you half pressed the camera's shutter button... the focusing ring will just move on its own... again, nothing 'bad' is going to happen beyond maybe losing a good shot.

The problem is... iirc... when you half press the shutter button, and your AF has locked... you then turn the focusing ring (while the AF is still locked) and forcing the engaged gears to move againsts its 'locked' position... that is when damage could have been done.

But what has this got to do with storage inside a camera bag ?? :sweat:

And for cry out loud TS... what is 'Auto Zoom' :bsmilie:

Last edited:
I guess the TS may be concerned about a problem that I sometimes ask myself.

I have a rather small Lowepro Toploader bag for my camera. I can fit my 5DM2 attached with 50mm 1.4 and an extra 100mm Macro just nicely into that bag with the body+lens resting on my unmounted lens (of course not the entire weight of the camera is resting on the unmounted lens, but I think some amount weight do rest on it). As 50mm 1.4 extends its barrel to focus, I often wonder whether I'll spoil the focus mechanism for my 50mm 1.4 but never really bothered to gave too much of a thought about it. So far, my 50 is working fine. I think TS is wondering about the same thing or at least something similar.

I think TS is wondering about the same thing or at least something similar.

We would know better if TS could give us more info... for your case, the answer is NO. Your focusing mechanism would be fine even if lens creep happens...

We would know better if TS could give us more info... for your case, the answer is NO. Your focusing mechanism would be fine even if lens creep happens...

I figured nothing probably would happen though I think you understood my situation wrongly. It's has nothing to do with lens creep, it's about having something like 1kg resting on my 50mm 1.4 which extends its front to focus. I was just a little afraid that this constant pressure-induced movement will cause some wear and tear to my focusing unit.

Last edited:
I figured nothing probably would happen though I think you understood my situation wrongly. It's has nothing to do with lens creep, it's about having something like 1kg resting on my 50mm 1.4 which extends its front to focus. I was just a little afraid that this constant pressure-induced movement will cause some wear and tear to my focusing unit.

before keeping camera, switch lens to MF, turn focus ring all the way so that the front element is inside the lens barrel and not extended. switch back to AF. problem solved.

Hahahahaha! Though I really doubt what I'm doing right now can do much harm to my lens, thank you for the advice. I'll start practicing it now too. Better safe than sorry. Hahahahaha!

do you set your lens into auto zooming mode or manual mode?

If manual mode, lens barrel can be shifted/moved in the bag.

If auto mode, will the movement of the barrel transfer to the gears and has impact onto the motor?

Found out this when I placed my camera and lens in a backpack compartment and set it into manual mode, due to the arrangement, the compartment makes the lens protracted easily.
Don't buy this brand. Get a real camera :angel: