When will the D300s replacement be out?

sidloojl

Jul 8, 2009
Singapore
Hey all, any idea when the new body will launch? thinking of upgrading from a D90. cheers!

Hey all, any idea when the new body will launch? thinking of upgrading from a D90. cheers!

No one knows. And looking at the situation in Japan, it would be delayed further.

Considering Nikon moving ops out of Sendai, product launches may delay... But if they move productions to Malaysia, we may be seeing cheaper lenses in time to come.

Considering Nikon moving ops out of Sendai, product launches may delay... But if they move productions to Malaysia, we may be seeing cheaper lenses in time to come.

but wouldn't moving to malaysia in this sense lower "quality". they made my D90 in thailand.

So is my D90, and it is a first class serious enthusiast DSLR... what is your point buddy? :think: :bsmilie:

I don't think it matters if it's made in China, Thailand, Malaysia or Philippines, even Singapore. QC process is of the utmost importance, and the RAW material used (make sure it's consistent with the original specs).

So far, two of my Made-not-in-Japan Nikon products works fine! And I seldom keep them in the glass cabinet (ahem, AKA drycab) for viewing pleasure...

As whether the lenses will be cheaper if produced in Malaysia - this we'll see. Hopefully it is so. Logistically speaking, the spare parts for repairs may be cheaper even (hopefully)!...

Last edited:
Speaking of replacement for D300s... Nikon Rumor has it that something will be announced in Taiwan soon... Maybe a mock-up, demo product, or even a hint of its release... stay tuned!

Country of manufacture does not equate to quality.

What matters is the design, the manufacturing process and the QC.

Another of equal importance is the power supply... disruptions affect manufacturing process and everything else...

The Taipei event is being held right this moment I think... news should be pouring in very soon!...

I think it matters ... Toyota even once rated company with THE best managerial approach and production system, but look at their cars manufactured/assembled in Thailand vs that in Japan. (keep in mind that all parts are still coming from Japan).
My last T.corolla 1.3XLi which last me 15yrs ... made in japan ... i can count the numbers of breakdowns easily. (scrapped finally!)
My friend latest corolla 4yrs of age ... assembled in Thailand ... breakdown amount = lost counts.

Good quality products were made with high consistency of manufacturing process.

If you walk into Best denki fridge section ... salesman will ask you whether you want fridge made in Japan or Thailand/M'sia ,differences is up to $1k.
why was there a vast differences?? exchange rate? import tax? ... .nope ... its their quality. (but they wun tell you that)

To maintain a profit margin of xx% ... companies like panasonic, nikon, canon, have no choice but to shift their M.plant outside of Japan.
Yes.. they will station their best QC/QA/engineers on-site to closely monitor product quality ... but when human were factor in, quality for that product will also be compromised.

To me... country of manufacture does and will equate to Quality.

Last edited:

If you have kids and you are planning to purchase milk powder, you went into a shop where they sell
1) Dumex (made in Japan) ... 100sgd
2) Dumex (made in M'sia) ... 70sgd
3) Dumex (made in China) ... 40sgd

So which one would you buy?

bethpapa74 said:
I think it matters ... Toyota even once rated company with THE best managerial approach and production system, but look at their cars manufactured/assembled in Thailand vs that in Japan. (keep in mind that all parts are still coming from Japan).
My last T.corolla 1.3XLi which last me 15yrs ... made in japan ... i can count the numbers of breakdowns easily. (scrapped finally!)
My friend latest corolla 4yrs of age ... assembled in Thailand ... breakdown amount = lost counts.

Good quality products were made with high consistency of manufacturing process.

If you walk into Best denki fridge section ... salesman will ask you whether you want fridge made in Japan or Thailand/M'sia ,differences is up to $1k.
why was there a vast differences?? exchange rate? import tax? ... .nope ... its their quality. (but they wun tell you that)

To maintain a profit margin of xx% ... companies like panasonic, nikon, canon, have no choice but to shift their M.plant outside of Japan.
Yes.. they will station their best QC/QA/engineers on-site to closely monitor product quality ... but when human were factor in, quality for that product will also be compromised.

To me... country of manufacture does and will equate to Quality.

Best Toyota factory is not japan but the one in Ontario.

What about hyndai? The Beijing hyundai factory has lower defect rates than the one in Korea at one point in time.

GM and Chevolet factories in china all have significantly lower defect rates than the ones in USA.

If you have dealt with manufacturing processes before, you will understand why.

And for milk powder, I buy s-26 made in Singapore.

Last edited:
Oh noes.. .not another escalation to MIWhereever posts! :bsmilie: Mods will be have a field day once again!

Guys, stop comparing old cars / SLRs / TVs / whatevernots with new ones... Gone are the days that products are made to last... these days, they have built in obsolesence in all the major brands, all sorts of products!!!

NEW Toyotas will NEVER beat the Toyotas of the old... no matter where you build them... Same goes for old SLRs versus new DSLRs! I double dare you to crash Celica of the 80's against the Celica of today (MIJ okay!) and see which survives better... Remember the all shinny chrome bumpers of the yester-years?? What kind of bumpers do we have these days??....

Now quit lammenting on MIJ products already!

Last edited:
Best Toyota factory is not japan but the one in Ontario.

What about hyndai? The Beijing hyundai factory has lower defect rates than the one in Korea at one point in time.

GM and Chevolet factories in china all have significantly lower defect rates than the ones in USA.

If you have dealt with manufacturing processes before, you will understand why.

And for milk powder, I buy s-26 made in Singapore.

hahah :)
That is why i never buy anything involved koreans

If you have kids and you are planning to purchase milk powder, you went into a shop where they sell
1) Dumex (made in Japan) ... 100sgd
2) Dumex (made in M'sia) ... 70sgd
3) Dumex (made in China) ... 40sgd

So which one would you buy?
1 and 2

wah, I really don't know much about this MIJ debate, but i suppose traditionally it is seens as a mark of quality. especially when you notice that upper end models are MIJ. haha. more importantly, just can't wait for the D300s replacement to be out!!!!

wah, I really don't know much about this MIJ debate, but i suppose traditionally it is seens as a mark of quality. especially when you notice that upper end models are MIJ. haha. more importantly, just can't wait for the D300s replacement to be out!!!!

Haha, sorry to burst your bubble, but most likely D400 or whatever replacement model's coming out is not going to be MIJ. Speaking from tradition of course.

Haha, sorry to burst your bubble, but most likely D400 or whatever replacement model's coming out is not going to be MIJ. Speaking from tradition of course.

hahaha, it is okay, i can accept that. lower prices please!