When we buy Pentax, we buy Tokina??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
11-17mm, 16-50mm, 50-135mm all are available in Tokina versions. So when we buy Pentax lenses, are we actually praising Tokina? Or is it the other way round?
#2 makes me kinda happy, since Canikon users who give praise to Tokina is actually giving praise to PXXXXX :)

I've also read that its a collaboration. But what does it mean? 50/50 effort?

to add on, I think the Tokina 35mm and 100mm macros are Pentax joint ventures as well?

i think there are subtle differences.

i'm not lens expert, i bet fengwei would know the answer to this, but i would probably think of it like samsung gx20 versus k20d.

the basic things are the same, but there are subtle differences, i.e. probably each brand does the final touches of its own. if i am not wrong someone once said that pentax uses its own coating. but i could be wrong. :)

All these lenses are co-developed by both Pentax and Tokina, but Pentax did most if not all of the optical design. Pentax hold all the patents for these lenses, Tokina has the license to produce them in their own barrels.

so are there any differences other than look and source of production?

SDM, weather-sealing and lens coatings?

the samsung schneider d-xenon & d-xenogon lenses are the ones that are identical apart from the exterior

so are there any differences other than look and source of production?

The optical designs from both Tokina and Pentax would be the same, but they make their own barrels, and the lens coatings are different too :)

On the other hand, the Pentax DA 18-250 is totally designed and made by Tamron.

All these lenses are co-developed by both Pentax and Tokina, but Pentax did most if not all of the optical design. Pentax hold all the patents for these lenses, Tokina has the license to produce them in their own barrels.

If you can read Chinese, here is a good reading:

http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=655516

:cool:
So CaNikons giving praise to Tokina are actually using Pentax :D

I doubt they share the profit though.... :think:
I could imagine Pentax being a big money earner if they sold their lenses 3rd party style like Sigma.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.