when u're testing lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

guojielun

Dec 28, 2005
EAST
i'm hoping to get a prime 50mm 1.8 but i'm unsure of what i should be looking for when buying a lens brand new from shop or 2nd hand from csers.

i read about alignment but what does it really mean? :dunno:

besides alignment are there any other stuff i should look out for? should i snap some photos and view them in my 2.5" lcd? or should i just try out the AF and MF?

you should bring your laptop go,bigger lcd the better.
Download then view 100% then see if sharp anot.

wah seriously must be so kiasu?:bsmilie:

zaxh81 said:

zaxh81 said:

ya .... you make a point!
i buying my dream lens soon .... can i borrow your 17" laptop? :lovegrin:

dont have to bother so much

just buy and use

it is not necessary to bring notebook.

for exterior checks,
- check for dust
- check for scratches on elements and barrel

for mechanical checks,
- test for sharpness,
take a picture of the lens box with camera on table. zoom in on the words of lens box to see if edges are sharp.

- test for focusing,
take a picture of the lens box at an angle focusing at a specific word with maximum aperture. zoom in and check if the word is sharp. check before and after the word for out of focus.

just joking lah,buy that time ask for 2 days warrenty then go home test lor.
But i will check for internal dust specks etc..

1) that was what i did, not buying lens but dslr. got my buddy to bring down his laptop.

2) if buying from shop, if they dont mind, shot the words on the box, view in the desktop in the shop lor.

3) if buying 2nd hand, shoot, go back home and check in your own computer, feel comfortable, than buy, this is what i do if option (1) not available. normally, it is ok with the seller. yet to come across one that is unwilling to wait for 1-2days. but maike sure you tell the seller this arrange before the meeting to view the lens.

raptor84 said:
What i'f i'musing a film camera? would be kinda difficult ..

I'm using film SLR so the only way to do just that is to check the exterior of the lens as described earlier on. Also remove front and rear lens caps and then view it against a light source to check for any dusts or fungus internally.

denniskee said:
3) if buying 2nd hand, shoot, go back home and check in your own computer, feel comfortable, than buy, this is what i do if option (1) not available. normally, it is ok with the seller. yet to come across one that is unwilling to wait for 1-2days. but maike sure you tell the seller this arrange before the meeting to view the lens.

Personally, unless you came to my place, I wouldn't be willing to incur double transport cost.

If buy new, there's the 1year warranty so no worries. Just look out for scratch marks if any, dust inside and outside and also look through the Lens for condition of the glass.

If 2nd hand, either bring laptop along or look for above conditions. If seller agrees to gives 2 days grantee, then can do the test at home. To be fair, only for sharpness of lens lor. Physical condition should be checked on the spot.

I ever bought a 2nd hand lens and got a few spots in the lens. I bargained for additional discounts and get the lens cleaned and its perfect now. I specifiy to the seller that the discount is for cleaning the lens. Good seller and i got a good bargain in the end.

thanks peeps! i understand now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.