When travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

cqprime

Dec 8, 2008
Singapore, Singapore
When travelling overseas, what are the precautions fellow CS takes to protect ur camera and lens from snatch theft or robbery?

hmm... dun go too remote place? travel with a few other photographer?

it helps by not flaunting.
try to keep setup as simple as possible to not attract much attention?
and yeah, avoiding remote areas helps too.
if you have to, keep them inside your bag and watch out of the surrounding?

happy holidays! :)

do not travel alone, pay a guide if you must.

Pacsafe Carrysafe 100

Maybe worth checking it out. Sometime seen at Sports Connection outlets in Singapore. :)

Always keep your stuffs by your side, and not out of your sight. Avoid backpacks. Use a bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. Most people associate bags with logos, such as Lowepro, Tamrac, Nikon, and Canon as camera bags, and good targets. Perhaps can try those domke, or messenger bags. Lastly, try to buy insurance for your equipment. :bsmilie: A bit difficult in Singapore though.

Lastly, try to buy insurance for your equipment. :bsmilie: A bit difficult in Singapore though.
I am not an insurance expert but I thought you can buy it under home content insurance. That way you don't have to rely on the meager coverage of the travel insurance.

i just came back from a 17 days trip from Jakarta > Bandung > Solo > Yogja > Surabaya > Bromo > Probolinggo > Lovina > Ubud..

all the way via train, bus, becak, horsecart..

Was very uncomfortable in Jakarta as alot of staring eyes..esp in Glodok and Mangga Dua area (which sell electronics)..the rest of the cities are ok except Probolinggo..again alot of furtive glances our possessions.

i am using 400D with 70-200 and 10-22..

my partner is using 40D with 18-200..

we take turns to look around, back to back on public transport, taking turn to sleep or snooze. Also take out the cameras only when shooting. You will have to gauge if it is "safe" or not..

We used nondescript bags and I will make eye contact with suspicious person/s and check out where is he looking..either at my camera or at my partner:bsmilie: or me!:bsmilie::bsmilie:

but at tourist places, the cameras is out all the time. Just be careful. IF you are alone, just watch yr back. Clip yr bags together to prevent snap theft as it will drag the entire lot tgt and he will not be able to make a clean getaway.

Wear pants with zips pockets to prevent pick pocket too!

Just my 2 cents..:thumbsup:

In case scenario of snatch theft...i wonder if anyone has ever used the spiky end of their monopod as a makeshift spear or if the escaping thief running in straight direction, to use the spike monopod as a harpoon.

i know u post in jest..

but it is better not to injure anyone in any incident.

The police over at the other countries are not obliged to help you.

In fact, they might just drag you to the station for assault and take all your stuff away.

Btw, TS..where are you planning to go? or gone alr? It makes a difference.

hmm, i strongly suggest you get a cheapo looking sling bag, and buy inserts inside to put your camera/lenses.

robbers these days are getting smarter and smarter. even domke and crumpler camera bags are now being recognized.

or, just get lowepro belt and strap to your waist. have many many lens cases strapped to it. fast access and secure.

unless of course, you're robbed at knife/gun point... lol

i go batam damn scared. only bring my fz18

Thanks for the tip

i just came back from a 17 days trip from Jakarta > Bandung > Solo > Yogja > Surabaya > Bromo > Probolinggo > Lovina > Ubud..

all the way via train, bus, becak, horsecart..

Was very uncomfortable in Jakarta as alot of staring eyes..esp in Glodok and Mangga Dua area (which sell electronics)..the rest of the cities are ok except Probolinggo..again alot of furtive glances our possessions.

i am using 400D with 70-200 and 10-22..

my partner is using 40D with 18-200..

we take turns to look around, back to back on public transport, taking turn to sleep or snooze. Also take out the cameras only when shooting. You will have to gauge if it is "safe" or not..

We used nondescript bags and I will make eye contact with suspicious person/s and check out where is he looking..either at my camera or at my partner:bsmilie: or me!:bsmilie::bsmilie:

but at tourist places, the cameras is out all the time. Just be careful. IF you are alone, just watch yr back. Clip yr bags together to prevent snap theft as it will drag the entire lot tgt and he will not be able to make a clean getaway.

Wear pants with zips pockets to prevent pick pocket too!

Just my 2 cents..:thumbsup:

When travelling overseas, what are the precautions fellow CS takes to protect ur camera and lens from snatch theft or robbery?

1) most importantly, keep alert; thieves always show you attention, and plan their moves, there is no such thing as a sudden strike, only a strike that you didn't anticipate because you were sleeping

2) exercise precaution in crowded places where attacks on your bag may not be so easily realised. if backpack, put backpack in front of you, if shoulder bag, shift to front.

3) exercise your intelligence by not happily holding your camera like a nancy. even if it is hanging on your neck nothing that cannot be resolved with a simple blade. dangling it off like a handbag is a no-no. always keep a firm, but comfortable grip on your camera that you can maintain. at the very least, it may dissuade people when they realise that you are alert.

4) avoid notorious places and back alleys unless you are accompanied. even then, remember what my friend always says.. "you think 2 enough? you bring 2 they bring 3 lor!". always do research if you plan to be more adventurous. for example, valencia is probably a place to be more adventurous compared to say, guangzhou.

5) trust no one except yourself. you are the person who has the most control when it comes to taking care of your own personal wellbeing and equipment, not your travelling companions, not your tour guide, not your pet dog who came along.

6) lastly, if you have no confidence, don't go. it is not hard to tell a seasoned traveller from one who is awkwardly unaware of his surroundings.

Last edited:
thanks for the tip, i did not know there is such secure strap...good for laptop bags too

just watch out when it comes to motorbike snatch - you might get drag along!

night86mare's pointer no. 3 is very valid. If u display awareness of your surroundings, they will be wary of you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.