When to use M or AV?

rvf79

Jul 28, 2003
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Visit site
I had been using AV mode for a few mths. Now I am starting to practice with M mode. Normally I base on the exposure meter on the camera to know if I am using the current setting. But the metering sometime play me out... Is there any tips?

read a histogram and judge from there.

the exposure meter, shld be a rough guide.

switch to av such that camera does the estimation for you (most of the time it is accurate).

override when u know it will screw up.

shoot more and u will know when it screws up
knowing what each mode does and how to use them will help u more.

I had been using AV mode for a few mths. Now I am starting to practice with M mode. Normally I base on the exposure meter on the camera to know if I am using the current setting. But the metering sometime play me out... Is there any tips?

Av mode is used when you want a desired depth-of-field & let the camera calculates the shutter speed (e.g. portraiture, landscape).

M mode is used when you want a consisitent exposure throughout your shots (e.g. doing studio shots).

Hope this helps.

Do you use the same metering method? There is no need to use M just for the sake of using the function (and not wasting the money paid for it..). Use whatever settings you know how to handle and that gives the results you want. Each has its purpose.

If you are using M mode by setting the aperture, then adjusting shutter speed so the meter goes to the middle... then what you are doing is nothing different from using Av mode, but you are wasting the energy to turn the shutter speed dial when the camera can set it for you.

It's all about personal preference I guess?

I use Av the moment I switch on my camera, and switch to M the moment after I took a test shot with Av for the estimated setting.
I use M more often plainly because It's more fun to play with, and is easier to fine tune the exposure than Av.

I trust my LCD more than the exposure meter, in fact, I dun even use the exposure meter at all.
Since DSLR is free to take the picture unlike film camera, why not just take a few test shots and adjust from there? :dunno:

Maybe you're becoming more adventurous ? I imagine most people start off by controlling depth of field (via AV) and let the cam decide everything else. With M, you take even more control. But I think if you're still relying on the exposure meter (nothing wrong), then perhaps energy is wasted. Instead of switching to M mode, perhaps you can explore EV settings to overcome your original issue.

I use M when shooting "Men" but I will switch to AV mode when shooting "AV Stars" :bsmilie:

Depends on situation. Av by default. M when doing things like long exposures, fireworks, etc where do not want the metering to interfere and exposure compensation is not to be relied on. Actually isn't it all almost the same, just choose the one that is most convenient and suitable.

I haven't seen the other comments yet, but here's what I have.

If you place a piece of White paper and a piece of black paper in a room with equal brightness, close to each other, then meter the 2 papers, the White paper would turn out brighter than the black paper. That's Coz the meter sees anything White as brighter than black, even though the lightings are the same. Similarly, greens are brighter than reds and blues, with blue being the least bright if I'm not wrong. But the metering system isn't powered by human brains. It doesn't knows that the brightness is equal between the black and White paper. So naturally your meter gives a wrong reading.

If you are using M mode by setting the aperture, then adjusting shutter speed so the meter goes to the middle... then what you are doing is nothing different from using Av mode, but you are wasting the energy to turn the shutter speed dial when the camera can set it for you.
But sometimes.. its a EGO problem i see.. and i know some of these people.. maybe it feels better or more professional. i dontknow..

What mode do you usually shoot in? Oh.. M mode lor
But everytime they change 1 of the settings..be it shutter or Aperture.. they switch another to match the meter.. i dont see the point. But they are proud and happy because they use M mode.
nvm..

oh btw guys.. erm if im on AV mode.. If i adjust the EV (exposure compensation) to make it brighter or darker.. Does it affect the picture quality? Picture quality i mean here was like will the sharpness of the picture decrease..or will it add more noise to my picture?
(or noise is only affected by ISO?)

Thanks.

CHange the setting where a single snap let u get 3 shot (normal, 1/3 under and overexposed) then delete what u don need ..

oh btw guys.. erm if im on AV mode.. If i adjust the EV (exposure compensation) to make it brighter or darker.. Does it affect the picture quality? Picture quality i mean here was like will the sharpness of the picture decrease..or will it add more noise to my picture?
No it does not affect anything other than your shutter speed.
Your camera will auto recalculate the shutter speed according to the compensation u set.

Thanks.

If you are in Av mode and metering says 1/60sec at f/8 then +1 EC simply means fix the aperture and change shutter from 1/60sec to 1/30sec
If you are in Tv mode and metering says 1/60sec at f/8 then +1 EC simply means fix shutter and change aperture from f/8 to f/5.6
It's just a more convenient way of offsetting from the metered readings/suggestion instead of manually dialing in when the default metering is not what you want to achieve. It has nothing to do with sharpness or noise by itself.