When to use M or AV?

Oh.. didnt know changing the Exposure compensation.. my another (aperture or shutter) will switch also.. i always thought it just became darker or brighter..but aperture and shutter stays the same. OK.. ive learn something.. Thanks : )

TWmilkteaTW said:
But sometimes.. its a EGO problem i see.. and i know some of these people.. maybe it feels better or more professional. i dontknow..

What mode do you usually shoot in? Oh.. M mode lor
But everytime they change 1 of the settings..be it shutter or Aperture.. they switch another to match the meter.. i dont see the point. But they are proud and happy because they use M mode.
nvm..

Haha. Cos I see all the pro shoot in m mode. Want to let to get used to m mode, then can take picture in a more pro way...

Oh.. didnt know changing the Exposure compensation.. my another (aperture or shutter) will switch also.. i always thought it just became darker or brighter..but aperture and shutter stays the same. OK.. ive learn something.. Thanks : )
It's stated in your manual and it helps if you read the newbie guides to understand what the camera is doing. The modes Av, Tv and P are half-automatic modes, where you adjust one or two parameters and the camera will set the remaining parameters in order to get correct exposure. Using Ev (Exposure compensation) will result in shift of the optimal exposure point, which the camera will take into consideration.

TWmilkteaTW said:

This is exactly the reason y I would use M mode. It's not an Ego issue but rather for convenience. The changing of ev value requires a button plus a thumb turn process. If in M mode, all you need to do is to turn the wheel to adjust the shutter speed alone. And more importantly, people tend to forget that their ev value had changed since last shot and kept wondering y they get badly exposed pictures. This is becos in AV mode, changing the ev value does not have a very significant indicator as compare to in M mode when the exposure bar will clearly show your current exposure. (Yes, u can also change ev compensation in M mode but that's not what I'm comparing here.)

I personally use M mode most of the time but will switch to AV mode when I'm taking at places with dynamically changing of lighting condition.

This is exactly the reason y I would use M mode. It's not an Ego issue but rather for convenience. The changing of ev value requires a button plus a thumb turn process. If in M mode, all you need to do is to turn the wheel to adjust the shutter speed alone. And more importantly, people tend to forget that their ev value had changed since last shot and kept wondering y they get badly exposed pictures. This is becos in AV mode, changing the ev value does not have a very significant indicator as compare to in M mode when the exposure bar will clearly show your current exposure. (Yes, u can also change ev compensation in M mode but that's not what I'm comparing here.)
You should state which camera model you use and consider that other brands and models differ.
For Canon entry level series (xxxD, coming without dial for the thumb) one has to press a button and turn the dial to change the Ev settings in Av Mode, and exactly the same is requires to change Aperture in M Mode. No 'savings' here. Secondly, Canon deactivates the Ev function in M mode (somewhat redundant, actually). In M, the meter will always show real results, no offset due to Ev settings.
Contrary to your statements (which might be true for your camera) in Av Mode when changing Ev, the needle is not centered at 0 but offset according user input. It remains stationary to indicate the offset. Since the needle is shown in the viewfinder and in LCD display all the user needs to do is to check it. What more can the camera do than to highlight this?

If the subject is fixed then use m mode, of not av will be better right?

wrong.

there is actually no fixed rules when to use M or AV mode. whichever mode you like you can use it to your own comfort level.

as i mentioned earlier, when u need to auto, use AV, when u need to manual, use M. Simple as that.

hi..,
Just curious, is auto or scn mode can not beat clear/ clean/ sharp picture then av,p or m mode in any situation and condition?
or in the right hand and right camera auto or scn mode can produce same picture as av,p or m mode?

thanks for any info/ reply

new2011 said:
hi..,
Just curious, is auto or scn mode can not beat clear/ clean/ sharp picture then av,p or m mode in any situation and condition?
or in the right hand and right camera auto or scn mode can produce same picture as av,p or m mode?

On the auto mode, the camera set everything for u. U can't control the aperture or the shutter speed or the flash.

hi..,

when u use auto/scene modes, u are just a slave to the camera cos the camera decides everything and what's best.

when u use auto/scene modes, u are just a slave to the camera cos the camera decides everything and what's best.

Hi Dennis =)
@TS Shoot in full auto and all ur problem will be solved =)

ha.ha.ha.. it remind me of terminator movie.
so we should ask anything for manual (car, phone, camera, washing machine, etc), so the chance human become slave is 0 :D

Cowseye said:

I personally use M mode most of the time but will switch to AV mode when I'm taking at places with dynamically changing of lighting condition.

Do remember that on Nikon cameras, when on M mode, shifting the ev will change the bias of the meter. It is very useful when you are in M mode with a flash attached. Shifting ev will adjust flash power.

I used manual mode mainly for shooting macro. The camera metering can be tricked at times due to the 18% grey concept.

You should state which camera model you use and consider that other brands and models differ.
For Canon entry level series (xxxD, coming without dial for the thumb) one has to press a button and turn the dial to change the Ev settings in Av Mode, and exactly the same is requires to change Aperture in M Mode. No 'savings' here. Secondly, Canon deactivates the Ev function in M mode (somewhat redundant, actually). In M, the meter will always show real results, no offset due to Ev settings.
Contrary to your statements (which might be true for your camera) in Av Mode when changing Ev, the needle is not centered at 0 but offset according user input. It remains stationary to indicate the offset. Since the needle is shown in the viewfinder and in LCD display all the user needs to do is to check it. What more can the camera do than to highlight this?

I made a mistake about the EV indicator display. Thanks for the correction.

I'm using a D300s. Hence turning aperture or shutter speed is just working betw. 2 dials without having to press any button. Changing EV, however, needs to hold a button and turn the dial.

So let's just say shooting in Av (or A) mode, assuming a certain aperture is desired and is set, then follow by a shot taken. In order to increase exposure, I can either increase EV, or shift my focus point to a darker spot (which is inaccurate and affect AF). If I were to be in M mode, after taking the same shot as previous, all I need to do is to turn the shutter speed dial for the desire exposure compensation. Yes, the time saved is minimal but I dun have to worry about forgetting setting EV back to normal for the next shot at a different scene with different lightings and such.

I'm not a pro M only user, I still find useful situation for using Aperture priority such as situation when dynamic change of lighting happens so fast. I just want to make a point that using M mode is more of a practical reason than being egoistic, I used M mode right from the start when I first use my gf DSLR and I had grew very comfortable with it.

Letting the camera body to make decision sometimes gives me a little less confidence. Especially when you are taking some static scenes, where you are switching your focus point for the sake of AF but not metering for exposure, Av mode will automatically adjust the shutter speed according to your focus point. Yes, there are other mitigating function such as AE-lock and matrix metering instead of spot metering (I think this should help for metering for light) but I'm just so use to adjusting that one variable (shutter speed), I dun see how would using EV, or those listed functions can benefit me in such situation.

Do remember that on Nikon cameras, when on M mode, shifting the ev will change the bias of the meter. It is very useful when you are in M mode with a flash attached. Shifting ev will adjust flash power.

That's interesting tip. Got to try that out next time. Thanks for sharing ^^

There is no fixed rule when you need to use M when you need to use Av. I tune to M mode for landscapes, and Av mode 80% of the time when I am shooting candids or portraits. It doesn't matter which modes you shoot in so long as you can achieve your desired results.

Having said that, knowing what metering modes to use for different scenes is also critical in achieving the right results.

i shoot in auto mode all the time.